Question Intel Core i5-12600K vs. AMD Ryzen 5 7600: Best Choice for Creative Applications like Photoshop and After Effects?

afireon8

Honorable
Oct 25, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC primarily for Adobe applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Premiere Pro. I'm seeking advice on selecting the best processor among the following options:
  • Processor - Total cost in India (including CPU + motherboard + ram)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - $285
  • Intel Core i5-12400F - $290
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - $341
  • Intel Core i5-12600K - $351
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7600 - $366
All of these options fit within my budget of $380, excluding a dedicated GPU. I plan to add a budget GPU like the GTX 1060 or RX 580 in the coming months, within the range of $150 to $180.

Could anyone provide insights into which processor would be the best choice for my requirements? I'm particularly interested in maximizing performance for Adobe applications while staying within my budget. (no gaming)

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Might need to do some graph shuffling for the second and third ones

Last edited:

afireon8

Honorable
Oct 25, 2018
Might need to do some graph shuffling for the second and third ones
Thank you for sharing the links to Puget Systems' comparisons between the AMD Ryzen 7000 Series and Intel Core 12th Gen processors. It's helpful to see the performance comparisons in Adobe applications like Photoshop, After Effects, and Premiere Pro.

Regarding your suggestion, I'm aware of the comparisons between the Intel Core i5-12600K and AMD Ryzen 5 7600 (not to be confused with the 7600X). While both processors show similar performance in many benchmarks, there are a couple of factors I'm considering:

1. Thermal considerations: The Intel Core i5-12600K has a TDP of 125W, which is significantly higher than the Ryzen 5 7600's 65W TDP. This may lead to higher heat generation and potentially require better cooling solutions. Given the concern about heating issues, would it be advisable to opt for the Ryzen 5 7600 to avoid potential thermal issues?
  2. Cost-effectiveness: Additionally, considering that the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (Zen 3) is slightly behind in performance compared to the Ryzen 5 7600 but offers potential cost savings, would it be a viable alternative to consider, especially if the performance difference is within the range of 10-20% for my purposes?
Considering these factors, I'm leaning towards either the Ryzen 5 7600 or the Ryzen 5 5600G to ensure optimal performance within my budget and to address potential thermal concerns.

Would you agree with this assessment, or do you have any additional insights to consider? Thank you again for your assistance!

Reactions: artk2219

afireon8

Honorable
Oct 25, 2018
Don't forget that the 12600k needs an cooler since it doesn't come with one.
Thank you for bringing up the cooler requirement for the Intel Core i5-12600K, TerryLaze. I appreciate the reminder.

I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 ARGB CPU Cooler with a 120mm fan. However, I'm unsure whether this cooler would be sufficient to handle the thermal demands of the i5-12600K effectively.

Could anyone provide insights into whether my existing cooler would suffice for the i5-12600K, or would I need to allocate additional budget for a more robust cooling solution?

Your expertise on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for bringing up the cooler requirement for the Intel Core i5-12600K, TerryLaze. I appreciate the reminder.

I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum V3 ARGB CPU Cooler with a 120mm fan. However, I'm unsure whether this cooler would be sufficient to handle the thermal demands of the i5-12600K effectively.

Could anyone provide insights into whether my existing cooler would suffice for the i5-12600K, or would I need to allocate additional budget for a more robust cooling solution?

Your expertise on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The thing is that almost every mobo will run the 12600k at higher than the rated 125W , your cooler is rated for 150W which would be enough, but if the mobo pushes the CPU, and if adobe or any of the other things you run can use that much power, then it can also easily get close to 200W

You can set any power limit you want in the bios, or in windows using XTU, so the question is not if the cooling is enough but the question is how high do you want to go with it.

afireon8

Honorable
Oct 25, 2018
The thing is that almost every mobo will run the 12600k at higher than the rated 125W , your cooler is rated for 150W which would be enough, but if the mobo pushes the CPU, and if adobe or any of the other things you run can use that much power, then it can also easily get close to 200W

You can set any power limit you want in the bios, or in windows using XTU, so the question is not if the cooling is enough but the question is how high do you want to go with it.
Appreciate the input. Considering spending extra $60 - $80 on a cooler for the Intel i5-12600K, but wondering if it's worth it compared to opting for a cheaper Ryzen 5 7600 system. Your insights on balancing cost and performance are welcomed. Thanks!

Appreciate the input. Considering spending extra $60 - $80 on a cooler for the Intel i5-12600K, but wondering if it's worth it compared to opting for a cheaper Ryzen 5 7600 system. Your insights on balancing cost and performance are welcomed. Thanks!
I would just use the old cooler you already have and make sure to play with the power settings and/or cooler rpm to get the temps I want at the performance I want.

Adobe/photoshop and so on are not going to use maximum power most of the times so running the CPU above 125W will not provide much if any performance benefit anyway.

Also the ag400 is about $20-25 and can handle almost 250W , no need to spend $60-80.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amazon-basics-cpu-cooler-review/2

afireon8

Honorable
Oct 25, 2018
I would just use the old cooler you already have and make sure to play with the power settings and/or cooler rpm to get the temps I want at the performance I want.

Adobe/photoshop and so on are not going to use maximum power most of the times so running the CPU above 125W will not provide much if any performance benefit anyway.

Also the ag400 is about $20-25 and can handle almost 250W , no need to spend $60-80.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amazon-basics-cpu-cooler-review/2
Thanks for your input! I'll definitely look into the ag400 cooler.

If anyone else has suggestions for CPUs other than the 12600K or Ryzen 5 7600,
like the Intel 13400F,

I'm open to considering them as well. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020
I've been considering upgrading a Ryzen 5 3600 for a Ryzen 5 5600G or Ryzen 7 5700G just for the onboard graphics and I just got done building a gamer for my son with the i5-14600K so I've been looking at the same chips you have been. I like the Ryzen chips for their lower wattages, but the gain, other than the onboard graphics for me was minimal considering I basically use the Ryzen PC for streaming; so I decided to hold off on that upgrade.

But the i5-14600K is great. I considered the ones you are, but wound up buying the i5-14600K because it was running $299 about two months ago in the US. I couldn't be happier with it. Being the newest model, I won't have to worry about upgrading it and when I do, I will likely have to do the MOBO too. I used the Thermalright Phantom Spirit SE on the 14600K and it keeps it at 72C even under load. Higher wattage, but it works great with games, so I imagine it would be more than sufficient for your needs if the price is right.

I used the PassMark tools to evaluate the chips I was looking at.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Just put in the chips you're considering and take a look. Good luck.

afireon8

Honorable
Oct 25, 2018
I've been considering upgrading a Ryzen 5 3600 for a Ryzen 5 5600G or Ryzen 7 5700G just for the onboard graphics and I just got done building a gamer for my son with the i5-14600K so I've been looking at the same chips you have been. I like the Ryzen chips for their lower wattages, but the gain, other than the onboard graphics for me was minimal considering I basically use the Ryzen PC for streaming; so I decided to hold off on that upgrade.

But the i5-14600K is great. I considered the ones you are, but wound up buying the i5-14600K because it was running $299 about two months ago in the US. I couldn't be happier with it. Being the newest model, I won't have to worry about upgrading it and when I do, I will likely have to do the MOBO too. I used the Thermalright Phantom Spirit SE on the 14600K and it keeps it at 72C even under load. Higher wattage, but it works great with games, so I imagine it would be more than sufficient for your needs if the price is right.

I used the PassMark tools to evaluate the chips I was looking at.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Just put in the chips you're considering and take a look. Good luck.
Appreciate your insights, drjohnnyfever. However, in my country, the i5-14600K is priced around $356, and with motherboard and RAM, it exceeds my budget, especially considering the addition of a dedicated GPU later. While I acknowledge its performance advantages, I'm constrained by budget considerations.

After reviewing the PassMark tools, I noticed the superiority of the i5-14600K, but I'm now contemplating between the i5-12600K, i5-14400F, and Ryzen 5 7600, which fit within my budget. Your input has been invaluable. Thank you.

Last edited:
Appreciate your insights, drjohnnyfever. However, in my country, the i5-14600K is priced around $356, and with motherboard and RAM, it exceeds my budget, especially considering the addition of a dedicated GPU later. While I acknowledge its performance advantages, I'm constrained by budget considerations.

After reviewing the PassMark tools, I noticed the superiority of the i5-14600K, but I'm now contemplating between the i5-12600K, i5-14400F, and Ryzen 5 7600, which fit within my budget. Your input has been invaluable. Thank you.
I would go with the 7600, AM5 is supported until 2026 or so giving you a potential upgrade path in the future. LGA 1700 is EOL, so what you see now is pretty much all that should be available for that socket.

Reactions: afireon8
The difference from the 12600k to the 14900k is 60 to 100... (85% more performance)
It's not like he would get stuck at the performance of the 12600k and nothing more.
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/...ke-tested-at-power-limits-down-to-35-w/2.html
Correct, but thats it, two years down the line what we have now would be the only options available. With AM5 there will be at least the 9000 series and likely a 10 or 11000 series supported as well which should provide greater than double the performance improvement by that point. Honestly, besides the potential power and heat issues, I'm a pretty big fan of LGA 1700. You can get some really decent deals on it, you can get DDR4 boards so you can use your old RAM , it's great option if you're the type to fully swap out a platform every 2 or 3 years, or if you want great multitasking support now. But if I'm building a system with an eye towards longevity, I go with AM5. Its a preference thing I guess, both the Ryzen 5 7600 and i5 12600K are solid options, and in the short term I honestly don't think you could go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
Correct, but thats it, two years down the line what we have now would be the only options available. With AM5 there will be at least the 9000 series and likely a 10 or 11000 series supported as well which should provide greater than double the performance improvement by that point.
Could be, could be not.
And even if the support will be there it doesn't mean that the mobo will be able to provide enough power, or cooling on the rmas, or what have you, for that full 'greater than double' ,we know that AMD will not double the cores so any improvement will have to come from higher clocks on the same amount of cores.

On the other hand we already know the performance of the 14900k even at 125W.

Could be, could be not.
And even if the support will be there it doesn't mean that the mobo will be able to provide enough power, or cooling on the rmas, or what have you, for that full 'greater than double' ,we know that AMD will not double the cores so any improvement will have to come from higher clocks on the same amount of cores.

On the other hand we already know the performance of the 14900k even at 125W.
You forgot liklely 10 - 20% IPC gains on the 9000 series thats coming. As for heat and power, it likely can not get worse than LGA 1700. Intel has done a good job handling those insane thermal and power requirements for a consumer chip, but those requirements are still less than ideal in the first place.

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...ls-power-consumption-on-intel-core-i9-14900ks

Last edited:
You forgot liklely 10 - 20% IPC gains on the 9000 series thats coming.
No I didn't, that's why I said that they won't double the core count,
we know that they will stick with 16 cores so that 20% IPC gain MIGHT (probably not) be the only increase at all.
If that 20% is purely from IPC, then anything more than that will come from higher clocks and a little bit higher clocks need a lot of more power.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Regarding your suggestion, I'm aware of the comparisons between the Intel Core i5-12600K and AMD Ryzen 5 7600 (not to be confused with the 7600X). While both processors show similar performance in many benchmarks, there are a couple of factors I'm considering:

1. Thermal considerations: The Intel Core i5-12600K has a TDP of 125W, which is significantly higher than the Ryzen 5 7600's 65W TDP. This may lead to higher heat generation and potentially require better cooling solutions. Given the concern about heating issues, would it be advisable to opt for the Ryzen 5 7600 to avoid potential thermal issues?
  2. Cost-effectiveness: Additionally, considering that the AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (Zen 3) is slightly behind in performance compared to the Ryzen 5 7600 but offers potential cost savings, would it be a viable alternative to consider, especially if the performance difference is within the range of 10-20% for my purposes?
Considering these factors, I'm leaning towards either the Ryzen 5 7600 or the Ryzen 5 5600G to ensure optimal performance within my budget and to address potential thermal concerns.

Would you agree with this assessment, or do you have any additional insights to consider? Thank you again for your assistance!
The CPU only really maxes out during video encodes and Lightroom preview generation during imports. But yes the 12600K will need a more substantial cooler than the 7600, its turbo power limit is actually 150W.

You can always tweak the power limits on the motherboard for the Intel to your preferences. Either CPU is a good choice IMHO.

Edit: as for the 5600G/5700G - it only has PCIE 3.0 which would hold back your potential SSD transfer speeds - very important with Adobe related work. If budget constrained, I’d go with the 12400F just for this reason.

Last edited:

drjohnnyfever

Reputable
Feb 23, 2020

No problem. Someone suggested using PassMark when I was looking at upgrading an i3-12100 streamer my son was using as a test gamer before we built his first true gamer with the 14600K. It's a great tool.

The i5-14500 should also be on your list. The price tool PassMark has when you're comparing is super helpful too. I know I got a decent deal - even tho it was $40 more than an older i7 I was thinking about, the 14600K was superior and worth that extra cost.

I know @artk2219 mentioned EOL of lga1700, but if you want to upgrade there are still all the 12, 13, and 14th gen CPU's above the 14600K and 14500 that offer plenty of headroom for performance improvement if the need strikes and most will likely drop in price as newer models with the newer socket emerge.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of upgrading my PC primarily for Adobe applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Premiere Pro. I'm seeking advice on selecting the best processor among the following options:
  • Processor - Total cost in India (including CPU + motherboard + ram)
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600G - $285
  • Intel Core i5-12400F - $290
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - $341
  • Intel Core i5-12600K - $351
  • AMD Ryzen 5 7600 - $366
All of these options fit within my budget of $380, excluding a dedicated GPU. I plan to add a budget GPU like the GTX 1060 or RX 580 in the coming months, within the range of $150 to $180.

Could anyone provide insights into which processor would be the best choice for my requirements? I'm particularly interested in maximizing performance for Adobe applications while staying within my budget. (no gaming)

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
I think i5 12400F is the one to choose. I don't know which motherboard you intend to buy. If you buy a very bad motherboard, you may not be able to run more powerful 13th and 14th gen CPUs. The prices of those CPUs will come down in the next few years so you will be able to upgrade to them, IF your motherboard has good enough VRM to power those CPUs.

You should be aware that the F series intels do not have integrated graphics.
Better to buy a 12400, not 12400F. Else you will need to have a 1060 or RX580 when you build this machine, otherwise you won't have any display output.

Also be aware that intel K series CPUs, like the 12600K, 13600K, etc. do not come with a cooler so you have to buy one.
The 13600K is probably the best price/performance CPU you could install into your computer, but it is above your budget for now.
Remember you will need a good enough motherboard or else you will have nothing but problems.
This is true for both the intel LGA1700 series and AMD.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Something that @afireon8 may already be aware of… Photoshop does this infuriating thing with saving PSDs as compressed files by default… and their compression code mysteriously only uses one CPU thread, and not even at full utilisation. So this is where raw IPC performance will be of benefit somewhat.

Alternately turn off PSD compression in settings, and get ready to buy lots of SSD storage.

(Photoshop, Lightroom, and Premiere Pro are, at the end of the day, really badly coded)

Edit: I’d also avoid an Intel F CPU if using Premiere Pro. The QuickSync encoder will support AV1 and is much MUCH better than what a GTX1060 or RX580 can do.

Last edited:

TheHerald

Upstanding
Feb 15, 2024
Thanks for your input! I'll definitely look into the ag400 cooler.

If anyone else has suggestions for CPUs other than the 12600K or Ryzen 5 7600,
like the Intel 13400F,

I'm open to considering them as well. Your recommendations are greatly appreciated.
The 13600k blows all of those out of the water. I know it's more expensive, but it really is where the sweetspot of money vs performance is. The cooler you have already is fine assuming it fits.

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
The 13600k blows all of those out of the water. I know it's more expensive, but it really is where the sweetspot of money vs performance is. The cooler you have already is fine assuming it fits.
CPU + motherboard + ram cannot exceed $380. So that rules out the 13600K. Even if it was somehow going really cheap, it would leave no money for a decent motherboard.

Right now the 12600K is at such a good price..As to thermals and power use, this is not an issue as motherboards on auto are just pushing to much voltage and a simple bios tewak to reduce vcore between 1.2 to 1.245v makes a huge difference dropping temps and more importantly power usage. In fact Tech Notice did a great article on youtube showing overall power usuage and covered which CPU's are the best especially for your use case Adobe applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and Premiere Pro. Yes the 13600K/13700k and 12700K are also immense but pricing is out of budge though at least in the future you can stick any 13th or 14th gen cpu as an upgrade..Oh and one final thing is Intel Quicksync which is a huge plus..
Tech Notice is a great recource for people like you and he covers all the AMD CPU's as well...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHWxAdKK4Xg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3CAg8l77Nc

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li87Cgvg64o

Last edited:

afireon8

Honorable
Oct 25, 2018
Thank you all for your valuable insights and recommendations!
I apologize for the delay in responding, but I've carefully considered each of your comments.

@artk2219, your suggestion regarding the Ryzen 5 7600's support until 2026 is duly noted. It's indeed a compelling point for future upgrades.

@TerryLaze, your comparison between the i5-12600K and i5-14900K sheds light on the potential performance gains. However, budget constraints are steering me towards the more affordable options.

@NedSmelly, I appreciate your advice on utilizing PassMark for evaluations. It's proven to be a handy tool in my decision-making process.

@drjohnnyfever, your recommendation of the i5-14500 and insights on PassMark have been instrumental in narrowing down my choices.

@35below0, your considerations regarding motherboard compatibility and the trade-off between the 12400F and 12400 are duly noted.

@TheHerald, the i5-13600K indeed sounds promising, but unfortunately, it's currently beyond my budget limitations.

@vMax, your insights on optimizing thermals and power usage for the i5-12600K are appreciated. Tech Notice seems like a valuable resource for further research.

Once again, thank you all for your valuable input. It's been incredibly helpful in guiding my decision-making process.

TRENDING THREADS