Intel Core i7-5960X, -5930K, And -5820K CPU Review: Haswell-E Rises

Status
Not open for further replies.

B4vB5

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Chris and Igor @ TomsHW,

Bit disappointed to not see a comparison with the Xeon E5-1650v2(or 1660v2), as the 2600 is a bit overkill comparing prices. Some of us just need a workstation with ECC ram and not just a free-for-all(ie someone else is paying) Xeon 2600 fest.

Out of curiosity why were so many of the gaming tests only done at 2560x1440? Seems like you would be more GPU bound at this resolution. I'm not sure it really matters but I do like gaming at 1080p for the very high frame rates was curious if these would push frame rates higher. Otherwise nice review.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009

1000$ is affordable to you ? :))

Though you have a point here, the guy buying such CPUs most likely will game at above 1080p .. but this would have implied using 2 GPUs at least in the test.

chiefpiggy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Why do they call these their "5th generation" of Intel core processors if they're refreshes of the Haswell processors? I get that they have revolutionary technology within but with the release of broadwell so soon I doubt that anyone would buy these processors..

srap

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
"Single-threaded software is so last decade, though."
I have a hunch that we will never see anything like this in the comment sections of AMD reviews. Not sure why :D

mctylr

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
From page 14, last paragraph:
As Intel’s first official eight-core processor, the top Haswell-E model

Er, no. No it's not the first eight core processor. It is the first eight-core consumer or Core iN series processor though.

I also don't know of any unofficial 8-core processors either.

DoDidDont

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Great news for people wanting to speed up their single socket systems in apps like Mental Ray, v-ray etc. I understand why Tom’s compared these new processors with the E5-2687w v2 in this review, but anyone splashing the cash on an E5-2687w v2 is going to buy two in a dual socket set-up making the system twice as fast as the top end 5960x in the majority of these benchmarks. It would be a waste of cash just buying one for a single socket system and not taking advantage of the QPI. For business users needing to produces multiple HQ images a day to meet deadlines I would still choose the Xeon’s over the I7. The Xeon’s pay for themselves within a few months. Waiting 48 hours for a batch of animation frames to render instead of 96 hours make a lot of difference.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Not really any significant CPU change from the SB-E or IB-E. The big changes come from the platform, and the x99 has the same interface as the x79. Technically, the x99 could support a SB-E processor, if Intel would let it. Again, I'm held back from making a change because Intel decided to force a CPU upgrade to make a technology upgrade cost $1500 instead of only about $400. I'll have to stick with my x79 for a while longer. It is just not worth the cost.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Yeah the real winner of a cpu here is definitely the 5820K. If I were building now, that is what I would use.
Ya, the 5820K really stands out, especially in comparison to Intel's previous lowest SKU processors on X79. For the first time the x820 actually looks like a great option to go with. It's the same as a 3960X in clock speed and core count, except it's Haswell which seems to result in a 10-15% performance boost, and it's over $600 cheaper. The only drawback might be if you have a lot of high bandwidth PCIe cards, but I doubt that'll be an issue for most enthusiasts.

And omg that price:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/437203/Intel_Core_i7-5820k_33_GHz_LGA_2011_V3_Tray_Processor

... I love Microcenter.

maroon1

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
Not really any significant CPU change from the SB-E or IB-E. .

THe improvement in multi-threaded workloads are good. It is the biggest improvement per generation we have seen since gulftown

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Um I'm a total noob. Can someone tell me approximately how much of an increase in performance I'd see using any of these over my i5 4670k? My CPU is not overclocked.
I'm running a 780 ti and Gskill Ripjaw 1600 RAM.

Champion_hero

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Hmm so for gaming, we're looking at either the 5820 or 4690..

How would the cost of said systems compare, assuming we could create them as equal as possible? Would the performance benefits of the 5820 justify the additional cost?

I'm still running on my old x58 i7 920, but it's starting to BSOD on CPU intensive games (although I suspect its my mobo that's the issue)...

I wanted to build a new system this year, but don't want to make the same mistake I did with the x58 and be left with something that simply can't be upgraded after a year or so. At the same time, I don't want to buy into old tech if that too won't last..

I have had a good run with my x58 mind, but am wary Intel may do what they did with my Gen 1 i7, and change something fundamental with the platform/DDR4 to mean I'll be 'stuck' with whatever I buy now...

Champion_hero

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
Hmm so for gaming, we're looking at either the 5820 or 4690..

How would the cost of said systems compare, assuming we could create them as equal as possible? Would the performance benefits of the 5820 justify the additional cost?
How do these chips compare to the best i5s out there?

I'm still running on my old x58 i7 920, but it's starting to BSOD on CPU intensive games (although I suspect its my mobo that's the issue)...

I wanted to build a new system this year, but don't want to make the same mistake I did with the x58 and be left with something that simply can't be upgraded after a year or so. At the same time, I don't want to buy into old tech if that too won't last..

I have had a good run with my x58 mind, but am wary Intel may do what they did with my Gen 1 i7, and change something fundamental with the platform/DDR4 to mean I'll be 'stuck' with whatever I buy now...

Status
Not open for further replies.