Intel Core i7-9700K Performance Results Reportedly Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are there any signs indicating whether this is an engineering sample? It seems rather early for a review sample, though seems to perform better than most engineering samples.

I also wonder whether they used a ring bus or the mesh interconnect from Skylake-SP. I'm betting it's a ring.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
These new CPU's are a bust without a price drop. I prefer my 8086k/8700k thank you. The only problem with the 8700k was the price. If this 9700k is the same price, it's pretty boring.

So, Intel Hyperthreading removal has a huge impact in the multi-threading department. This is insane, Intel has a lot to lose now. I thought it was crazy with the 14nm fiasco they are living right now, but now it is just sad, I was expecting the complete opposite.

HT was really a scam in providing performance at the expense of security. I cannot believe this.

The "(ES)" means that it is an engineering sample

I wouldn't. I'd wait for the next-gen Cannon Lake which (hopefully) will have all the speculative execution vulnerabilities patched at the silicon level. Or you could wait for Zen 2, which is touted to possibly be better than anything Intel currently offers in the consumer mainstream.

Yeah, this product didn't make sense to me from the start. 8c/8t. If you're primarily concerned with single threaded performance it doesn't get you anywhere. If your focus is on multithreading, you're looking at workloads in which Hyperthreading realizes the most gains narrowing the lead over their 6c/12t parts. And that's just against their own product stack.

More than anything, it looks like some sort of ill conceived rebranding and an attempt to drop the 6c/12t parts entirely.

Krazie_Ivan

Honorable
Aug 22, 2012

right.
...& where does this CPU fit vs a $240 6c/6t i5k? 25% more chip, but when both are gaming-focused are you going to see much FPS improvement, and at what value? keeping the i7 branding even after removing HT leads me to think the 9700k will remain at/near $340+. if it launches with an i5 replacement price then i'd say it's a good deal, but instead, i think Intel is more likely to pull a Kepler by shifting it's product stack.

Tom himself thought that was ludicrous.

---

It's interesting to note that CPU-Z has it identifying as the i7-9700k (ES) when I thought most engineering samples didn't identify as the final product.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015

I was being facetious regarding the prior RTX Just buy it article :p lol. Im Currently running a Ryzen 7 1700 and am waiting for 7nm Zen 2

That was the best thing. I miss Thomas Pabst and is pretty telling when the websites namesake thinks and voices his opinion on that level of ridiculousness

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

33% more cores than Coffee Lake.

However, if hyperthreading was dropped at the silicon level, then they can regain some area on the register files. They've gotten pretty big, with AVX doubling both the width and count of the vector registers and the shadow registers that exist for the 64-bit general purpose registers.

I kind of doubt that hyperthreading was dropped at the silicon-level, seeing as there's apparently going to be an i9-9900K with SMT enabled. The i7 is most likely based on the same chip, only with the feature and some cache disabled to encourage enthusiasts to spend an extra $100 or so for the full version of the CPU.

stdragon

Admirable

Typically this is done for one of two reasons; and in some cases, both.

If production doesn't produce good yields with the chips, often they will be tested and binned. So if there's a flaw if an area involving HT, then that feature will be left "dark" and disabled all together and then set as another product SKU.

The other reason is for product segmentation where you offset your R&D and production costs by shifting the purchase burden to the high-end of the market, and then keep market share via high volume sales on the lower end.

Status
Not open for further replies.