Intel Fanboys still waiting for Conroe

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
But even when the Intel CPU is overclocked at 4.26 GHz, the dualcore Athlon 64 FX processors still offer better results for most applications. Sure, the new Extreme Edition CPU is competitive, but it does not outperform the Athlon 64 FX-60, even at 3.73 GHz.

Costs a grand too..

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
So? Conroe will most likely kill a FX 60 or FX 62 so my fanboyish hopes lie on it's succes. You shouldn't have expected much from 965. Net Burst already passed it's limits. More clock speed and things will get too hot even unstable.

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I will give the conroe a fair shake when it's released. I think the delay of Vista is hurting everyone on the hardware side right now.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Vista? Not on my plans though i would consider purchasing it if it really doesn't screw up my performance. I heard about it that it will most likely consume a lot more of the GPU than XP "did". I hope it limits itself only to times were i'm in the desktop,not while i'm playing games.
I am eager to see some Conroe benchies too. While i consider the IDF/AT benchies somewhat reliable i still can't say for certain that it will be the breakthru shown in the review without watching some neutral benchmarking.

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
But even when the Intel CPU is overclocked at 4.26 GHz, the dualcore Athlon 64 FX processors still offer better results for most applications. Sure, the new Extreme Edition CPU is competitive, but it does not outperform the Athlon 64 FX-60, even at 3.73 GHz.

Costs a grand too..
lolz nice topic... and so true..
i guess conroe is the only last hope for intel fanboyz.. i wonder what will happen if conroe performs less then claimed at IDF...
would be an amazing sight man... XD

gpfear

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I am hoping to dual boot between Vista and SUSE. KDE 4 is releasing in the fall time frame. I want to wait until the software is out as well as the benchmarks on the hardware before I build my next box.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Not really, performing less by what margin,now that's what matters. If it performs 5% weaker than in the tests it will still beat AMD.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Not to mention that the CPU reviewed was a mainstream one while nothing better than FX 62 will come untill 2007.
At 3 GHZ Conroe lead would be even more breath taking.

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Leaving the fanboyism behind, yes i'll do the same. My rig is kinda outdated and upgrading it would be a waste.
So let's wait and see, Nothing good can come from speculation.:wink:

rettihSlluB

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2005
Nice thread you have there.

I've being telling this a while ago:
Intel's EE is a joke. :lol:

FX60 beats it with no fuss and still consumes less power (and this is with 90nm process).

...And for Conroe, I wouldn't be so excited about it. It's good to have something different from Intel that SHOULD work the way it should, but still I don't see Conroe beating AMD.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
I hope Conroe is as good as they claim. AMD will be forced to up the ante. When these 2 makers are in a heated competition, we are all winners. Just like the Nvidia and ATI wars, I hope things heat up and prices drop out the bottom on ALL CPU's. Fanboy? I'm a fan of performance, I'm loyal to performance.

KWH

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2005
Noob? Maybe as registered but I was reading Toms, Sharkey and Anandtech long ago. I have been building pc's since the PII hit the markets. Noob? I don't think so. I suppose you were never a "noob"? :roll:

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I'm not planning on "upgrading" :roll: to Vista anytime soon either.
I got it running on my computer now, and its just a laggy version of windows XP.

haha you bet we're all waiting for conroe.
After all the jokes about presshot, you amd fan boys are gonna get it. :twisted:

Viperabyss

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2006
I'm not planning on "upgrading" :roll: to Vista anytime soon either.
I got it running on my computer now, and its just a laggy version of windows XP.
sigh... vista is again delayed into 2007, and probably will delay again...
probably i'll never see my next rig before M$ releases Vista