Question Intel Haswell CPU i5 or i7 for Gaming

Nov 13, 2022
Hello, I was planning to buy a system with Intel 4th generation quad-core processor to run the game. And now it is not possible for me to buy a newer generation system.

My question is, how much of a difference would I get between a fourth generation intel quad core i5 4460 and octa core i7 4770 processor for gaming now and this year? And is there a significant difference in frame rate between these two processors of the same generation or not?

Nov 13, 2022
I know this question is like a joke, but since the final price of computer hardware parts is very high where I live, I have to buy second hand or old system parts. Of course, I bought the Nvidia 1050Ti series graphic card with difficulty at the moment due to financial issues, and I cannot buy a system with today's processor. I will be grateful if you answer the above question.
Why are you looking to buy and build a 10 year old system?

USAFRet

Titan
I know this question is like a joke, but since the final price of computer hardware parts is very high where I live, I have to buy second hand or old system parts. Of course, I bought the Nvidia 1050Ti series graphic card with difficulty at the moment due to financial issues, and I cannot buy a system with today's processor. I will be grateful if you answer the above question.
And that is considerations we out here did not know until this moment.

i5-4460 vs i7-4770
Well, obviously, the i7 is the better performer.

I don't think there is a "how much" number that can be applied.

Reactions: Rez@
Nov 13, 2022
The difference is going to be very game specific, however Id say definitely get the extra 4 threads by having the i7

I have been following your good site for years, especially the hardware benchmark section that compares the graphics of the systems.

Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with the amount of difference between these two processors in the game by browsing the web.

Your answer is reliable for me. But if it is possible for you to clarify the difference between these two processors, give me a sample link from the website or the Internet or a graphic benchmark similar to the ones that can be seen on your site so that I can understand better.

I have been following your good site for years, especially the hardware benchmark section that compares the graphics of the systems.

Unfortunately, I couldn't come up with the amount of difference between these two processors in the game by browsing the web.

Your answer is reliable for me. But if it is possible for you to clarify the difference between these two processors, give me a sample link from the website or the Internet or a graphic benchmark similar to the ones that can be seen on your site so that I can understand better.
I don’t have anything to hand to share. However, I had the i5 4670k which was a more powerful i5 than the 4460 but still a 4 core 4 thread cpu. I personally felt my i5 aged poorly compared to similar i7’s. As newer games started to benefit from more than 4 threads my i5 started to struggle where game reviews showed how the i7 with twice as many threads was far more capable.

Nov 13, 2022
I don’t have anything to hand to share. However, I had the i5 4670k which was a more powerful i5 than the 4460 but still a 4 core 4 thread cpu. I personally felt my i5 aged poorly compared to similar i7’s. As newer games started to benefit from more than 4 threads my i5 started to struggle where game reviews showed how the i7 with twice as many threads was far more capable.
Your answer was helpful for me and I will buy a processor with eight cores

The i7 is the better processor. Put it this way, the i5 from that era is 4 cores with no hyper threading. Among today’s newer processors the Intel i3 processors have 4 cores and hyper threading. In my opinion these days a haswell i5 is just going to be too far behind the times. The i7 should at least hold out a little longer for modern tasks imo.

Nov 13, 2022
A friend of mine is still gaming on a 4790k system with an AMD HD7970 GPU (which is roughly equivalent performance to a 1050ti).
The recommended Far Cry 5 processor is a Intel i7 4770 that can probably run the game on high settings. That's why I decided to buy a i7 4770 processor. It seems that we can still hope for this processor

Nov 19, 2022
Hello, I was planning to buy a system with Intel 4th generation quad-core processor to run the game. And now it is not possible for me to buy a newer generation system.

My question is, how much of a difference would I get between a fourth generation intel quad core i5 4460 and octa core i7 4770 processor for gaming now and this year? And is there a significant difference in frame rate between these two processors of the same generation or not?
Absolutely get the i7. I upgraded from i5 4570 to i7 4790k and the performance boost in newer games was immense.
A 4c/8t Intel can still do 100+ fps in a lot of newer games, while a 4 core one will crap itself.

Nov 19, 2022
Ah yes. I think I had the 7950 with an fx 6300 back in the day. Probably about the highest gpu I’d put with a 4790 would be maybe a 1660 super or 2060. But the 2060 might even be too much, not sure.
I recently played Days Gone with a 4790k + RTX 3070 going around 100-120 fps.
Some games are more CPU intense of course.