Question Intel i3 12100f Overheat

Rosales

Commendable
May 21, 2022
Hello, I realized like 2 weeks ago that my cpu temperature was always at 99 degrees and did some research. Most of the comments were saying to change thermal paste and so I did. After applying new thermal paste it dropped to 55-60 degrees at idle and about 70-75 degrees while gaming. but now after 2 weeks im getting 75 degrees at idle and 85-90+ degrees while gaming which effects the performance greatly.

I use the stock fan that came with the cpu. I dont have a big case so I cant buy many fans. Should I just buy a liquid cooler or are there other options ?

@Rosales
What thermal paste did you use? How did you apply it? Some thermal pastes can quickly degrade and pump out in as little as two weeks leaving next to nothing between the CPU and the heatsink.

The stock heatsink and fan are barely adequate. If you want better temperatures, consider buying a low cost tower heatsink. It should perform better compared to the Intel OEM cooler.

What case do you have?

Also room temperature certainly matters as asked above.

A 12100F shouldn't idle that hot even with the stock cooler so the cooler may also not be mounted entirely correctly (which is easier to do than one would think thanks to the dumb plastic clips).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello, I realized like 2 weeks ago that my cpu temperature was always at 99 degrees and did some research. Most of the comments were saying to change thermal paste and so I did. After applying new thermal paste it dropped to 55-60 degrees at idle and about 70-75 degrees while gaming. but now after 2 weeks im getting 75 degrees at idle and 85-90+ degrees while gaming which effects the performance greatly.

I use the stock fan that came with the cpu. I dont have a big case so I cant buy many fans. Should I just buy a liquid cooler or are there other options ?
I would think the cooler mount is not holding. New thermal paste for a 12XXX CPU should not be needed for a good bit of more years.

I would just replace the cooler and call it a day. No case was listed so can't say what will fit in the case.
Good cooler for that CPU and should fit in about any case unless it a slim.

Just 125mm tall, if you know what case you have they might be a better option so don't just buy it unless you know it will fit or can post a link to your case or the PC you bought.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BVBCN1H3?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1