Sean4g

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
Hi all.
I'm having this issue with my cpu. It's been a while that my pc just froze with a buzzing sound and shut off without warning, it use to be either the first time i turned the pc on during the day (it would turn on and off a couple of times before windows bootup), or during mundane things like browsing the web, NOT during gaming. Now it happens during gaming, and there's no buzzing sound, it just shuts off. I noticed it was either during games(the game woudn't even load, it would shut down before that). and when i scanned my pc with malwarebytes antivirus, at the last stage of the scan my pc would shut off again, so i started doing some tests to see what was the problem.
I took out my gpu, and tried scanning my pc for malware and it happened again. NOT THE GPU
I tried swapping rams and doing it with 1 ram stick at a time, happened again. NOT THE RAM
i tried different stress tests on the cpu and it would turn off.
Cleaned my PC - changed thermal paste on the gpu and cpu- did a memory test with windows, but no issues.

These are my specs:
Intel Core i7-4790K CPU
Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 - BIOS VERSION F8 MOTHERBOARD
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU
Corsair Builder Series CX750M PSU bought in early 2015

I looked around and many said its a bios-cpu settings issue, many resolved it by updating they're BIOS (which i did, but no luck), i installed the app center, and started tweeking the cpu. I lowered the clocks on the cpu from 4.4 ghz to 4.0 ghz and tried scanning my pc again and it did NOT shutdown, but it did when i opened cod warzone. I tried lowering it to 1 Ghz and still it would shut down when i tried playing the game, the only difference is that it let me get into the game menu, but it wouldn't last long, it would shutdown. After all my researches i found an option i have to turn off in the bios which is called "Truboboost". I did that and it set my clock to 4.0ghz automatically and I'm not having issues with the rest, its only games and when the cpu gets into stressfull situations. The thing is the cpu temperature doesn't get that high anymore, it was high at the beginning, but after i changed the thermal paste and turned off turboboost the temp is around 60-65, so it wouldn't seem it would be the temp, even tho i thought it was that. I think its voltage related but im not that informed on how and what setting are the best for my rig, i really hope i can get help here. Thanks in advance🤘

Solution
Hi all.
I'm having this issue with my cpu. It's been a while that my pc just froze with a buzzing sound and shut off without warning, it use to be either the first time i turned the pc on during the day (it would turn on and off a couple of times before windows bootup), or during mundane things like browsing the web, NOT during gaming. Now it happens during gaming, and there's no buzzing sound, it just shuts off. I noticed it was either during games(the game woudn't even load, it would shut down before that). and when i scanned my pc with malwarebytes antivirus, at the last stage of the scan my pc would shut off again, so i started doing some tests to see what was the problem.
I took out my gpu, and tried scanning my pc for malware...
Hi all.
I took out my gpu, and tried scanning my pc for malware and it happened again. NOT THE GPU
I tried swapping rams and doing it with 1 ram stick at a time, happened again. NOT THE RAM
i tried different stress tests on the cpu and it would turn off.
Cleaned my PC - changed thermal paste on the gpu and cpu- did a memory test with windows, but no issues.

These are my specs:
Intel Core i7-4790K CPU
Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z97 - BIOS VERSION F8 MOTHERBOARD
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 GPU
Corsair Builder Series CX750M PSU bought in early 2015

I looked around and many said its a bios-cpu settings issue, many resolved it by updating they're BIOS (which i did, but no luck), i installed the app center, and started tweeking the cpu. I lowered the clocks on the cpu from 4.4 ghz to 4.0 ghz and tried scanning my pc again and it did NOT shutdown, but it did when i opened cod warzone. I tried lowering it to 1 Ghz and still it would shut down when i tried playing the game, the only difference is that it let me get into the game menu, but it wouldn't last long, it would shutdown. After all my researches i found an option i have to turn off in the bios which is called "Truboboost". I did that and it set my clock to 4.0ghz automatically and I'm not having issues with the rest, its only games and when the cpu gets into stressfull situations. The thing is the cpu temperature doesn't get that high anymore, it was high at the beginning, but after i changed the thermal paste and turned off turboboost the temp is around 60-65, so it wouldn't seem it would be the temp, even tho i thought it was that. I think its voltage related but im not that informed on how and what setting are the best for my rig, i really hope i can get help here. Thanks in advance🤘

Hey there,

After bios update, did you clear CMOS? If not, do that. It's possibly the single biggest reason why a bios update shows no improvement.

Could also be a PSU issue. The CX isn't a great PSU, and is out of warranty. It's very possible it's causing the restarts!

Solution

Sean4g

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
Hey there,

After bios update, did you clear CMOS? If not, do that. It's possibly the single biggest reason why a bios update shows no improvement.

Could also be a PSU issue. The CX isn't a great PSU, and is out of warranty. It's very possible it's causing the restarts!

Ok, just did it, i took out the battery out waited a little and put it back in (i even had the easy button on the Mobo 😂) but it didnt solve problem, when i opened the game after 1-2 minutes the pc resets resets again. thanks for your response tho, really appreciate it!

Last edited:
As keith already mentioned it the biggest suspect here is PSU. Not that it is bad model but after 6 years of use the chance that it degraded to the point where it just can't give you enough power is quite big. Of course it can also be motherboard but chance for that is definitely lower, plus exchanging PSU is much easier to do then motherboard (assuming you could find replacement motherboard at all).

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Sean4g

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
As keith already mentioned it the biggest suspect here is PSU. Not that it is bad model but after 6 years of use the chance that it degraded to the point where it just can't give you enough power is quite big. Of course it can also be motherboard but chance for that is definitely lower, plus exchanging PSU is much easier to do then motherboard (assuming you could find replacement motherboard at all).
maybe its a stupid question, but isn't the sudden reset show that the PC is trying to protect itself from frying a component? i thought it was actually the opposite, i thought there was too much power/temperature somewhere so the pc just reseted to protect itself.
Thanks for the reply my friend!

maybe its a stupid question, but isn't the sudden reset show that the PC is trying to protect itself from frying a component? i thought it was actually the opposite, i thought there was too much power/temperature somewhere so the pc just reseted to protect itself.
Thanks for the reply my friend!
Too much power (or more likely too high voltage) would cause the same effect of course but it is less likely to happen. As for too much temp it depends on which component - in case of CPU/GPU they would throttle first, but if it was motherboard overheating then yes it would shut down instead. That's why I wrote it could be motherboard too. However note that overheating is not something that happens in a blink of an eye (unless we talking CPU without heatsink) - it takes some time. Of course it wont hurt to check that out - you can run some temp monitoring software to see what the temps were when it shuts off.

Sean4g

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
Too much power (or more likely too high voltage) would cause the same effect of course but it is less likely to happen. As for too much temp it depends on which component - in case of CPU/GPU they would throttle first, but if it was motherboard overheating then yes it would shut down instead. That's why I wrote it could be motherboard too. However note that overheating is not something that happens in a blink of an eye (unless we talking CPU without heatsink) - it takes some time. Of course it wont hurt to check that out - you can run some temp monitoring software to see what the temps were when it shuts off.
yeah already did check the temps, the cpu temps got pretty stable after i turned turboboost off ( around 60° every time the pc shutoff)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check Event Viewer in the Critical, Error, and Warning lists. Check through what it's listing in the log with a webpage search and see what you can glean from that.
Event 41 is generally tied to unexpected shutdown and can be an indicator that the PSU is failing. It could be almost anything considering the age of the components.

IDK if you have another system around, and in particular if it would be of a type or powerful enough to help narrow some things down. For instance, you could check the GPU on another system capable of running it. If you have another mobo that takes DDR3 you could check the RAM on it. The name escapes me but there is a RAM check tool that runs from BIOS level, so you could try to check the RAM in current system with that.

The biggest aspect IMO is not to spend much money towards chasing this issue for this age of components. This could chase out to a new system anyway...