Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 9, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have an old laptop Lenovo Z50-70, but unfortunately I dropped it on the floor... After this the laptop is constantly lagging even during Windows boot up. To open a web browser is an achievement since it is taking a lot of time. I downloaded ThrottleStop and saw that the CPU frequency is always capped at 800MHz no matter what I do. So i checked the limits panel and it is always showing Thermal reasons in red for GPU and Core. Here is the main problem, the temerature of the CPU is always about 50°C (i tried lifting it up so the air has a better circulation under it and the temperature dropped even further, now it is about 47-49°C). I tried reading of all available temperature sensors and none of them showed high temperatures (used different SW for this - Open Hardware Monitor, CPUz, GPUz, HWMonitor, HWiNFO and others..). Also the plastic cover of the laptop is cool and when i disassembled it I found that the heatsink is firmly attached to the CPU, GPU and mainboard so it should be properly cooling everything. At this moment nothing actually points to overheating. The only strange thing is that the fan is always running (I thought it is damaged so tried replacing it but it didnt change anything).

So is it actually overheating, or some sensor send incorrect data to the CPU? If this is the reason why I always read normal temperatures with the measurement software? Is it possible that ThrottleStop is incorrect and the reason for the 800MHz throttling is something else?

I am running out of ideas so any help will be gladly applreciated :) Thanks!

Specs:
Lenovo z50-70
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U 2 x 2 - 3.1 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 840M - 4096 MB, Core: 1124 MHz
RAM: 8192 MB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, Dual-Channel, 2 Slots, both occupied

Solution
unfortunately I dropped it on the floor...
That was not a good idea. I have not seen this problem before. You might have damaged your CPU.

For your ThrottleStop settings, check the Set Multiplier box and check the SpeedStep box. I do not think this will make any difference. Only a broken CPU shows THERMAL warnings when the CPU temperature is only 45°C.
Sep 9, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have an old laptop Lenovo Z50-70, but unfortunately I dropped it on the floor... After this the laptop is constantly lagging even during Windows boot up. To open a web browser is an achievement since it is taking a lot of time. I downloaded ThrottleStop and saw that the CPU frequency is always capped at 800MHz no matter what I do. So i checked the limits panel and it is always showing Thermal reasons in red for GPU and Core. Here is the main problem, the temerature of the CPU is always about 50°C (i tried lifting it up so the air has a better circulation under it and the temperature dropped even further, now it is about 47-49°C). I tried reading of all available temperature sensors and none of them showed high temperatures (used different SW for this - Open Hardware Monitor, CPUz, GPUz, HWMonitor, HWiNFO and others..). Also the plastic cover of the laptop is cool and when i disassembled it I found that the heatsink is firmly attached to the CPU, GPU and mainboard so it should be properly cooling everything. At this moment nothing actually points to overheating. The only strange thing is that the fan is always running (I thought it is damaged so tried replacing it but it didnt change anything).

So is it actually overheating, or some sensor send incorrect data to the CPU? If this is the reason why I always read normal temperatures with the measurement software? Is it possible that ThrottleStop is incorrect and the reason for the 800MHz throttling is something else?

I am running out of ideas so any help will be gladly applreciated :) Thanks!

Specs:
Lenovo z50-70
CPU: Intel Core i7-4510U 2 x 2 - 3.1 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 840M - 4096 MB, Core: 1124 MHz
RAM: 8192 MB, DDR3, 1600 MHz, Dual-Channel, 2 Slots, both occupied
try looking at task manager to see what is using the most cpu/gpu etc, something like a driver update may be happening, idk

Status
Not open for further replies.