Intel i9 (Gulftown) 6-core

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
This gets my vote as THE BEST ANSWER to date:

"They are going run 4500MHz @ .8v (stock), Overclock to 7+GHz and cost $89.99 and come with free Motherboard fitted with 12GB of DDR4-3000."

BUT he forgot 20 Gazillion Solid-State Rams. Baaaaaaaaah (bleep)!

Next question, please.

MRFS

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
p.s. AMD already has 6-core CPUs:

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37323/135/

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-Updates-6-Core-Lineup-with-Five-New-Processors-116498.shtml

Sunnyvale, California-based Advanced Micro Devices has just announced a number of new processors, coming to complete its latest line of six-core Opteron chips, formerly codenamed Istanbul. These new models have been designed to provide customers with a choice for a high-performance processor that can also improve the energy efficiency of their high-end systems. There are five new models, in AMD's 6-core lineup, with three aimed at 2P servers, while the other two have been designed for 4P/8P servers.

I would say that it will have some standard IPC enhancements from steppings and such probably about 5-10% clock per clock.

Multithreading will be different. It will have 6 physical and 6 logical cores giving it 12 total threads. So that will probably be a big jump for multithreaded apps.

Price wise, probably a guess and wrong but I would say near $500-$1K depending on if it is a Extreme Edition or not.

IIRC there was confirmation from Intel that the 6-core Gulftown would be a drop-in replacement on X58 boards, a few months ago. There was some mention of it on various threads here at Tom's.

And as for the multi-core usage, 2 things to think about: W7's improved thread-handling and multitasking.

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
@zipzoomflyhigh,

I'm quite sure that intel said there would be no CPU's with more than 4 cores on LGA 1156.

as for Gulftown, all that we are fairly sure about is that it will start off as a $999 extreme edition CPU and will be released in Q1 2010, it's also a 32NM chip with 12MB of L3 cache which will run on current X58 chipset.

I'd hazard a guess also that this will have a 3.46-3.73GHz clock speed and on release, the i7 975 EE will drop down in price to about $400-600.

However the fact it has 'town' in it's name gives away that it will be a server chip and may cost a bit more while not having an unlocked core multiplier.

1b2b43

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
Real speed comparisons are obviously nonexistent... however, were I to hazard an educated guess... in past die shrinks from 65nm to 45nm there was a 44.4% theoretical improvement to performance. Then, add to that the cooler temps and power savings and eventual performance competition increasing clock speed. This resulted intially in 20% overall system performance increase because there is about half the theoretical that flows through to the actual system performance.
I expect the same from Intel to continue the tick tock release schedule and the release of the new processor will always see the greatest performance boost and the feature upgrade release with the greatest stability and mature price points.
So bottom line ... most apps will run approximately 10% faster than the previous generation because in percentage terms it is harder now to increase from higher speeds. Also, the system may feel faster or slower depending on the other components you put into the system. Liek the advent of performance optimized Solid State Drives that can give any game a huge boost especially when the swap file is located there.

For encoding video using H.264 (X.264) I would say about 45% increase in frames processed per second since H.264 seems to scale up (down) with the number of cores compared to an i7. Knock off a few percentage points for inefficiencies.

For gaming... who cares? Most games are primarily dependent on the GPU. Yeah, yeah, you'll probably get a few extra frames per second.

Thats for servers. Gulftown is going to desktops. intels plans are for a 8 core, Nehalem-EX, for servers.

A Q9650 will only truly bottleneck in more than two GPUs. With two GPUs a Core i7 doesn't present a gain thats truly impressive but when its tri/quad GPUs it does.

In non gaming Core i7 just impresses like it was a cake walk.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
I think it is rather impressive when a CPU of a new generation can display that gain over the previous of the same clock speed. Realistically though, a Core2Quad is fine for most things. With 2 or more GPUs I would choose an i7 with a new build if the budget allows.

I agree with you there. Maybe for ATIs new 5870X2s or a G300 based dual GPU card. But current GPUs wont bottleneck a C2Q running 3GHz+ unless its tri/quad setup.

While I do get amazed at what Core i7 can bring to the table at high resolutions with multiple GPUs, if someone has a Q9650 I don't see the need to upgrade until the next gen of GPUs from ATI, nVidia and even Intel are out.

Hornet85

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008

Not anytime soon. Next year Gulftown on the LGA1366 platform will be released as 6 core, and its in the Extreme Edition range (the core i9 you spoke about).

Core i9 will continue to coexist with Core i7, with Core i7 filling the lower segment of LGA1366 platform. Core i9 will be for those who have loads of cash and can afford their Exterem Edition CPUs

Core i7 will be around for quite awhile, including the Core i7 920

viruscece

Distinguished
May 16, 2009

you are not much of a thinker are you

Status
Not open for further replies.