Intel i9 (Gulftown) 6-core

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

From what I have gathered the only i7s that will be discontinued are the LGA1156 sockets, as long as you get the LGA1366 socket the mobo you use for that proc will have the same socket as the i9. Go that route and you should be able to just upgrade your proc and have a good rig for a few years.

Again all of this as of right now is still just word of mouth/speculation. We won't know until we get our hands on them.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009

Megahertz myth much?

Anyways, Intel should recreate another architecture that produces a huge jump over i7, like Pentium D to Core 2, that way AMD doesn't stand a chance. Hopefully with less Ghz and cores, and more performance. I'm also worried that Intel might suffer, considering AMD 6-core might beat the Core i5 (which I do not want to see).

Tom_20

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
everyone wants the biggest ,the fastest and the best computer on the market.Has anyone ever thought that you can only watch movies,play games,and multitask so fast then it means nothing to anything beside another computer.What good is that ,we set back and let the machines take over.Thats half the problem with thin world now.to many computers!

4745454b

Titan
Just because you don't need the fastest doesn't mean someone else doesn't as well. It was in another thread that someone said something that makes a lot of sense. Imagine that your a wedding photographer. You shoot the wedding with a digital camcorder, then edit the video. If you have a machine fast enough, you can shoot and edit in the same day. If its even faster, you can show the video during the reception. We all might not need this kind of speed, but some do.

If you only surf the web and watch movies, thats what i3/athlons are for. Others need to do work. Computers aren't the problem with the world, but thats a different subject. (like proper space bar use...)

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010

Amen 54b, amen. People seem to be more frusterated trying to keep up with advancements then anything, in turn, dictating that technology should stop advancing so they can catch up to the knowledge and new features available for usage. My response to "people dont need whats out there as it is": Stop playing World of Warcraft, and join society. You'll realize that computers have more functions then any of us could've dreamed of 25 years ago.

Sincerly,
Nooby

On topic comment: Agreement with getting a i7 920 with a 1366 board. You can get a solid 4Ghz OC (on avg) and will be able to tell from there if you need to upgrade. Since games were mentioned, if you want to play the most recent games out there, you should be asking more about the 6xxx series ATI cards and 4xx series Nvidia cards. 12 months from now, that's where you true bottleneck for games would lie.

Well it looks like my prediction of 5GHz with good cooling is about .7 GHz off the mark :). Anandtech only got a measly 3.9GHz with the stock cooler, Tech Report got 4.26, Canucks got 4.4 with a Thermalright.. Didn't check the rest of the sites but here's the list from Dailytech:

@ AnandTech
@ Hardware Canucks
@ OCC
@ PC Perspective
@ Neoseeker
@ Hardcoreware
@ TweakTown
@ Techgage
@ Tech Report
@ Benchmark Reviews
@ Hot Hardware
@ bit-tech

^ LOL - I guess the guys at XtremeSystems get all the golden ES chips..

Anyway, I mostly game with a bit of video editing/encoding, so $999 is a bit pricey for me as well. However the AT article did mention some cheaper Intel 6-cores coming out next quarter, around the same time as AMD's...

yannifb

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

I think your thinking of the quad core 32nm Xenons... there is no talk of another 6 core Intel desktop cpu.

Mabey he is unaware that he is talking about i7 970? Ask him.

This was what I was talking about - the i7-970 Gulftown:

Like Bloomfield, Gulftown may end up having a relatively long lifespan at the top of the charts. Below is Intel’s current desktop roadmap through the beginning of 2011. You’ll notice that when Sandy Bridge arrives, it’s going to be limited to two and four core configurations. Performance per core will improve, but it doesn’t look like we’ll see an ultra high end version of Sandy Bridge until at least Q2 or Q3 of next year.

The verdict isn’t out on whether or not Sandy Bridge will require a new motherboard. It is possible to make the chip work in existing LGA-1156 motherboards, but that requires additional validation that Intel may not be willing to commit to at this point. The decision isn’t final yet and Intel is telling its partners to expect a new chipset (6-series) and thus new motherboards to support the chip at this point.

The next point of interest is the Core i7 970, which is apparently a cheaper Gulftown due out next quarter. It slots in above the Core i7 960 and 870, meaning it may be priced somewhere in the $600 - $900 range. The very first Extreme Edition carried a $740 price tag. I’d guess that we’d see a 3.2GHz default clock speed on that part.

I had already posted this in another thread - the "LGA 1366 is doomed" thread :p, which is why I didn't say too much about it at the time..

BTW, Anandtech has an update on their Gulftown oc. Apparently that old mobo (from when they first reviewed Bloomfield in Nov. 08) was holding them back, and now they got 4.1GHz with the stock cooler. In some apps, such as the x264 HD video encoding 2nd pass, it's about 260% faster than a P2-965 at 3.4GHz..

Hopefully the 970 will be closer to $500 than $800 when it comes out - I'd actually consider one at the lower price :p..

I do a ton of transcoding. My i7 920 is working great at 3.3GHz, taking roughly half the time to transcode a movie as it's play length.

But if a 6-core upgrade were to improve my transcoding times by 50%, I'd be a very happy customer.

In that case, you might want to wait until next quarter and see how much Intel wants for the 970. I'd bet it can oc as high as the 980, although I'd also bet no unlocked multi..

loneninja

Distinguished
The 970 is the first choice of hexacore overclocking for any enthusiast or gamer. It is cheaper and can get a good clock speed.

Hexacore and gamer in the same sentence just makes me laugh. Did you not read the reviews? Even Phenom II can keep up with gulftown in most gaming benchmarks, and where it fails the I5/I7 do keep up. I'll laugh at anyone using a hexacore to game when they have less than 2 5970s in their computer.

The 970 is the first choice of hexacore overclocking for any enthusiast or gamer. It is cheaper and can get a good clock speed.

?? You see any reviews on it out yet? All I've seen are rumors & references to it, like the one on AT that I quoted.

I'd bet that since it's not due until next quarter, the NDA on it hasn't been lifted yet so there are no official reviews. But that doesn't seem to stop the Taiwanese mobo guys from posting ES tests, nor the XtremeSystems oc guys with their suicide shots :p..

Question: Why do the benchmarks show a better performance on the 975 then on the 980?

Which benchies would those be? The AT review only showed a couple where the 975 squeaked out a few percent above the 980 - most of them were in the 980's favor, some by a considerable margin, with both clocked at the same 3.33GHz.

If you read the AT article carefully, you'll note that the 980 has 4MB more L3 cache, but added latency, besides 2 extra cores. So benchies that favor latency could show the 975 outperformng the 980. Others might show the 980 outperforming, esp. if they can fit entirely in the 12MB of cache but not in 8MB.

Of course those that are multi-threaded, should show signfiicant improvement on the 980 vs. 975 - take a look at the single-threaded Cinebench vs. multi-threaded Cinebench scores on the AT review - the multithreaded bench shows the 980 with a 47% improvement over the 975, which is almost linear scaling with the core advantage (6 vs. 4).

Status
Not open for further replies.