Intel i9 (Gulftown) 6-core

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

64bits of pure power

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
honestly, i think this 6-core is not going to be advisable to anyone who doesnt use high demanding products or even a top end computer, there would also most likely be alot of problems with the first few models of the i9, including gaming, conversion programs, database, work or leisure progams that are very complex to deal with. just an expected prediction of whats to come, from what i see in the Core 2 Quad, its most likely to happen... i am using a i7 920 with a 64bit vista, and its quite perfect, just hope that i9 can work well with windows 7(let alone 64bit)

?? Have you seen any of the ES reviews of Gulftown on the web? I have, and there are not "a lot of problems with the first few models of the i9". Basically it's your present CPU with 2 more cores, and on 32nm instead of 45nm. While it probably won't do much at stock for present-day gaming to justify the expense (except for the enhanced Turbo-boost), I'd expect it to be able to hit close to 5GHz overclocked on good air cooling. And Win7 with its advanced thread scheduling should do wonders on the i9.

Plus there's the benefit that it would be a drop-in replacement for your 920 :).

Yes, he is right. I don't think someone else could explain that better.

Now the only down side i heard is that it runs at 2.4 GHz at the moment (although thats likely to change in near future). So it will be slightly slower per core than the i7 ATM.

Then again, thats where turbo boost kicks in and those 2 extra core can be real benefits for Heavy multi-taskers.

The Edge

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

+2.

Why is it that people care about how to get that "90 fps" on most games..i'm pretty good with 60...who cares if with your "upgrade" you go from 200fps to 250fps.. who? Can your eyes interpret that?

DJ RA

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

people buy cpus for more than gaming, I would use the cpu for rendering 3D animations for broadcast.... lets see it could boost my render times from 6 min per frame to 4. my eyes can definitely interpret that. besides, gaming rigs are better off trading more cores in for faster clocks. its stupid to pay for all those cores and not be able to push them all to 100% usage.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004

For web-browsing, yes, even Flash ads can't manage to suck up all the processing power of a quad-core CPU. But I can easily max out our dual-quad systems when doing real work.

randomizer

Champion

Look at any decent ray tracer and it will scale almost linearly with the number of cores, and quite well with logical cores from Hyperthreading.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006

Just like those silly fools who build drag cars. I bet they don't know they can't do 250MPH on the streets. They'll be shocked when they find out.

What's good for you may not be good for everything else. There will always be an extreme end to anything. Whether you have any desire in it or not does not mean that someone else shouldn't. I just converted 100 RAW images to JPEGs and applied filters and resized about 20 images. My CPU is used for more than just games. For example, my old E6750 would take over twice as long to convert files and apply filters as my current CPU. It may get high FPS in a game, but it's main advantage is multithreaded apps, which I use.

randomizer

Champion

Unfortunately there are not many people on this forum that can think outside the gaming box. Even when CPUs, the most general purpose component in the system, are being discussed, the FPS arguments keep popping up. And anyone who thinks hardware is "good enough" is feeding the mentality that hardware advancements shouldn't happen. There is no "good enough," we must always make it better.

G

Just out if curiosity will i be able to run the core i9 under windows 3.0 also will it be dos 1.4 compatible :pt1cable:

Greymeesh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

Greymeesh

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

I won't give you a "smart answer" I understand (through a leaked review) that the new 6 core or i9 cpu is only around 10% better than the i7 because the majority of software at present rarely needs 2 cores at this time. However the new direct 11 interface will utilise multi core cpu programing. The x58 motherboard will support the upcomming i9 and the i7. Gaming software is a long way behind the new technology and developers rarely produce games that are further advanced than the x box (so they can use it on both)! The best advice for "future proofing" is probably to get a direct x11 video card and an x58 motherboard and at least you can upgrade to an i9 and add another video card later if you wan't high framerates and HD graphics. Good luck with the build!

ColX

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010

I heard this solution from a guy from Intel. He told me if you get a digital calipers, measure the height and width of your current CPU (in millimeters, not inches), add the two together, multiply by 1.42 for each core in your system, if you only have one core, divide by 95%, then, multiply by 66.6, and that will give you your Mhz advantage with the new i9 over your old CPU. He also told me they will never discontinue the i7 or i9's because, they have decided not to evolve with the rest of the world and that there is no future in technological advancements. Remember, millimeters, not inches!

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
I have to admit I got caught out thinking it was a new thread and was just formulating a good plauseable answer... then skipped to new comments.

Don't like too many older threads getting locked - would rather just be a more alert forum browser than require mods to help stop me from getting caught out LOL
can sometimes be worth bringing up old stuff :)

Status
Not open for further replies.