Intel Identifies Cougar Point Chipset Error, Halts Shipments

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pelov

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]What are you talking about????Lawsuit for what? I didn't know anybody had bodily harm or died because of one "part" of a MB chipset was defective. Now if this was 2013 and they came out with "oh part of the P67 chipset is defective" - SURE then I can see something. I wouldn't doubt the MB makers are rushing to be the "first" with the fixed chipset, so they can get it OUT to the public first to sell it first. /sigh at common sense, or lack thereof.the problem is that it's an issue with the sata/chipset, so there's a risk of losing data on HDD's and any SATA-connected device. [/citation]

the problem is that it's an issue with the sata/chipset, so there's a risk of losing data on HDD's and any SATA-connected device, particularly devices with heavy usage. Losing data, and potentially very important data, most definitely can lead to a lawsuit.

binoyski

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
@ coldmast

Jeez, how about the "HASSLE/PROCESS" of an RMA. I hope you receive an award for having the "COMMON SENSE", I happily announce my "THEREOF"

binoyski

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
@ coldmast

Jeez, how about the "HASSLE/PROCESS" of an RMA. I hope you receive an award for having the "COMMON SENSE", I'll happily announce my "LACKING OF ONE".

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Oh and... if only nVidia was enabled to make chipsets for intel processors... sigh :(
Mandatory TROLL comment: "should have waited for Bulldozer"

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010

ummmmm....If you're using a product with a KNOWN, and more importantly - Publicly Known - flaw, you have Zero grounds for a lawsuit.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
[citation][nom]binoyski[/nom]@ coldmastJeez, how about the "HASSLE/PROCESS" of an RMA.[/citation]
I bought an extended 3 year warranty from the retailer so they should take care of this for me, though I read that the 6 Gb/s SATA ports are unaffected ("knock on wood"), so I can use them until this problem is addressed.

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]jpmucha[/nom]I would be pretty sure that part of Intel's $700M losses are eating the chips already in the OEMs hands... so there will be no 'old stock' (chipsets) making it to 'new' boards. It sounds like the 'old' mobos already in end user hands should be RMA'd. I'm hoping they eat the delivery costs too... or make it so I can get an immediate exchange at Micro Center... For anyone around at retail stores... have they cleared the shelves of LGA1155 boards?[/citation]

Yep, I work at a retail parts store/OEM and we're pulling all of our 1155 boards and shipping them back to our vendors. Just another hump in the road, 1155 hasn't really been in huge demand yet.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]Wow, and you would take the time to properly spell something. "there CPU". It's not the CPU dumb ass, and unlike AMD who ships defective chips to underdeveloped countries, at least Intel jump in and admits they screwed up.[/citation]

Eh?

louno

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
Ahhhh crap ! More waiting ... arrrgh...
I was planning on buying a p67 + i5 2500k real soon !
I hope this gets fixed fast...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]James296[/nom]oh boy, this is going to attract amd fanboys like a bear to honey.[/citation]

I laughed when I read this :D

I was so close to upgrading this Thursday and Tom's just saved my hide!
Now I'll just wait until Bulldozer.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
[citation][nom]Nemo888[/nom]What ever happened to Tom's. You must have known the chipsets were wonky before the recall???? Before you sold out you would have posted about it weeks ago. Now you just minimize this atrocious failure. So much for unbiased reporting.[/citation]

Nemo, I have a hard time believing you A) read the complete story rather than just the headline, and B) know anything about the technology involved. Your claim that Tom's -- or any other news outlet/review site for that matter -- should have known about this is laughable, and your suggestion that Tom's knew about this info and sat on it is absolutely absurd. Please think hard before you post, please.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]But is looks like Intel, by reports I've read on other sites too, is taking FULL responsibility and will cover the replacements. [/citation]

Everyone who bought anything above the i7-920 back when they were in the 500+ range pretty much paid for the next 3 batches of processor they'll produce anyways so I wouldn't worry about Intel losing any money on this.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Not everyone remembers back in the 90s when Intel had a few good chipsets, and then started releasing crap chipsets. It gave a lot of other companies a chance to put their chipsets on Intel motherboards.

now a-days, you really only get one choice.

Resteasy

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
glad they owned up to it and released a statement immediately.
I'm using sata III (6.0 gb/s) and only have my dvddrive on sata II. So I'll wait until the proper modifications have been made then I'll go through the process for a new intl chip probably from intel (bought it through tigerdirect) then same thing with asrock extreme4 (bought through newegg). Should be soooo much fun... ugh.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Worse, how will we know if a board we buy in the future has the fixed chipset? ....
That's exactly the most important question.

I wish Intel rename the fixed chipset so it is easy to spot, but I guess that it would be very difficult to tell without checking on the OEM web site...

Most vendors will not tell the revision version of the mother.

jdamon113

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
This is not a big deal, its just a part of mechanically devices.
At least intel is being good about it. Unlike Nvidia took three years to correct it mistake.
recalles are a part of manufactering. Get over it people.
that dollar amount is nothing for big companies like intel. Sure it hurts.
This is why they figuar in a DR plan.
AS for amd, there going to be base line pc's and mid gameing pc's
This will not change the direction of intel. Its a delay.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]fyasko[/nom]this did however buy amd some time for bulldozer...[/citation]
Not really... it's not as if it was due to come out imminently.

leon2006

Distinguished
I was about to purchase mb when i read this news. Newegg pulled the mb from my accounts / shopping cart.

One quick fix for those who alreay have a motherboard is to use an add on SATA controller board. It is an expensive solution but won't require to disassemble your PC. Intel should pay for it still.

This development is bad.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

I've been keeping an eye on NewEgg and they've pulled all but 9 LGA 1155 motherboards. The only ones left all have extra SATA3 ports which aren't affected by the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.