Intel Identifies Cougar Point Chipset Error, Halts Shipments

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

megawinner

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Are you seriously going to load up your machine with 4+ hard drives? Probably somewhere around 99.9% of users won't want more than 2 hard drives anyway, so just use the 6GB/s SATA ports and there's no problem at all. This could be annoying for super-power-users or servers, but then again, only the 3GB/s SATA ports are affected, and this kind of user would probably want to run 6GB/s anyway. It's such a non-issue.

dude_90

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
i want to buy a asus n53sv with sandy bridge 2630 , i'm so worry about it ,This model has a problem too ?

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]rjandric[/nom]Tick-tock-tick-crash...[/citation]

lol, I don't know why that sounds so amusing to me, but it does.

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]jprahman[/nom]No one outside of Intel knew about this until today, so WTH are you talking about tom's not warning us? Sounds like someone's a fanboi.[/citation]
I thought they said the OEM's were the ones who found this out through more stressful workloads than Intel subjected the chipsets to?

GaMEChld

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
[citation][nom]megawinner[/nom]Are you seriously going to load up your machine with 4+ hard drives? Probably somewhere around 99.9% of users won't want more than 2 hard drives anyway, so just use the 6GB/s SATA ports and there's no problem at all. This could be annoying for super-power-users or servers, but then again, only the 3GB/s SATA ports are affected, and this kind of user would probably want to run 6GB/s anyway. It's such a non-issue.[/citation]

The bandwidth of 6Gbps is not really needed for most people, but plenty of people have devices that need SATA connections. How many SATA III ports do these boards even have? You'll want at least one for main drive, one for a storage drive, one for an optical drive. Some will want to connect a front eSata port with an additional port.

Personally, I have 8 SATA ports, all of which are populated, though I realize that is way more than normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.