Intel Identifies Cougar Point Chipset Error, Halts Shipments

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
This totally blows! I just placed my order from newegg for my new rig, mobo, gpu, etc, which is currently in route. I was going to order the cpu and ssd on amazon today, but they pulled the cpu from every retailer. Now this is even more useless, my newegg order shipped, but I have no cpu. I could have at least got by using the sata 3 ports until they came up with a fix, then RMA. I don't understand why they aren't selling the cpu. I should be able to use my gimp board if I want to!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]James296[/nom]oh boy, this is going to attract amd fanboys like a bear to honey. anyway atleast they caught this early, through not early enough some would say.[/citation]

Im an AMD user but i think fanboy is thrown around to much because of a few idiot individuals.. Anyways i wanted to note that it was good to see a company take responsibility for this. I hope more company's do this then not but it is good to hear about it when it happens.

And veen how exactly will they be disappointed? i mean seriously its something that can happen over a long period of time. These boards all have warranty they can replace them. and its likely most people will opt for a 6gig sata hd anyways. Its a big deal but not as big as you make it seem. And honestly i don't think company's like intel or AMD cut corners on their products. Leave that to acer.

BigTom4Prez

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Luckily my Asus pro has eight SATA ports with four 6G ports. I moved my mirror pair to the Intel 6G ports and my SSD and optical to Marvell ports.

I did not think it would do anything. But I notice that everything is slightly faster and accessing my mirror does not have an intermittent delayed which I thought was related to sleep mode. So technically, I am fine with this configuration. No sure if I would persue a RMA for the motherboard. Might be too much of a hassle.

BigTom4Prez

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
Luckily my Asus pro has eight SATA ports with four 6G ports. I moved my mirror pair to the Intel 6G ports and my SSD and optical to Marvell ports.

I did not think it would do anything. But I notice that everything is slightly faster and accessing my mirror does not have an intermittent delayed which I thought was related to sleep mode. So technically, I am fine with this configuration. No sure if I would persue a RMA for the motherboard. Might be too much of a hassle.

lyneld

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
I don't get it. If the chipset is at fault, why have the processors been pulled from online stores? I don't see them at newegg. I would imagine that just the motherboards need to be recalled.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I found a few retailers that are actually still selling the 2500k. Since every other part of my build is on its way should I try to order the cpu? I really don't want all these parts just sitting here for 2 months while I wait for a fix. I'm more pissed about them pulling the CPU's than the board being f'd.

G

Just rebuilt with an Asus P67 Deluxe and 2600k - but since I'm running all my drives on sata 6 there should be no issue, correct?

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I have a i7-2600k and an asus p8p67pro i have done quite a bit of benchmarks so far i don't see any degradation of performance on the sata controller probably only in heavy raid environments with heavy data loads would anyone notice.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]veen[/nom]Wow this is a serious issue, all those people that bought into Intels promise of a good CPU will be disappointed, with all the money Intel is making, you would of tough that they would take the time to test there CPU , I guess we all know know where is Intel cutting the corners to make that extra profit, well at least we have AMD[/citation]

Ohhh the smell of ignorance (read: anyone dumb enough to buy anything AMD since the Core days) in the morning, there is nothing better!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Ohhh the smell of ignorance (read: anyone dumb enough to buy anything AMD since the Core days) in the morning, there is nothing better![/citation]

Speaking of ignorance i think i smell something.

spoonycoot

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]Ohhh the smell of ignorance (read: anyone dumb enough to buy anything AMD since the Core days) in the morning, there is nothing better![/citation]

I don't think you'll see performance degradation at first. From what I understand there is a voltage leakage that over time damages the components which eventually leads to a damaged sata port.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]noblerabbit[/nom]install KB97103 MS update at your own risk. I'd rather have 4 dead sata ports than this MS update which "erased" 6 of my hdd's today.[/citation]

You mean KB971033 right? Its an OPTIONAL Windows activation hack detection module. Just dont install it, it comes unchecked anyway.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]veen[/nom]Wow this is a serious issue, all those people that bought into Intels promise of a good CPU will be disappointed, with all the money Intel is making, you would of tough that they would take the time to test there CPU , I guess we all know know where is Intel cutting the corners to make that extra profit, well at least we have AMD[/citation]

It's the chipset which is faulty, not the CPU.

jfby

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Compare this to how Apple handled the reception issues with the iPhone 4 and I continue to be amazed at how Apple continues to be so dominant... anyhow, hopefully this will push Intel to upgrade their testing proceedures and we won't see another big, costly mistake like this in the next launch.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
I'm furious because lot of money I've invested in those MOBOs. And, most MOBOs are not from Intel. How should I approach Gigabyte and Asus for replacement? That too they have bad support, just getting crazy!

e-nigma

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
I finally get a new system, and this happens, and no matter how much research I did, it didn't matter.

I guess I gotta call egghead and find out what to do. I've been plagued with odd behavior from my Asus P8P67 as it was, and was already going to return it for another brand motherboard, just to find out they have ALL been removed from newegg.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Just received e-mail from NewEgg "Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you. Newegg has recently become aware of a design issue that is affecting recent models of Intel Sandy Bridge platform motherboards. We are working with Intel to identify the exact nature of this problem."... Intel expects to have a new revision of the P67 & H67 chipsets out around April, at which point first-run motherboards with this issue will need to be physically replaced in affected systems. Received my 2 Asus boards just last week :-(

G

This is not a new way of doing business for Intel. Some of us can remember them replacing the P5-90's around 1992, wasn't it? It was a problem in a lookup table that would show up only during extremely intensive arithmetic operations. Intel published a checking routine that determined if your processor had the problem and if so you told them and (after a short wait for production to catch up) they sent you the new chip. You plugged it in & sent the old processor back. I think they even paid to have the switch made if you asked for it. FatoldbaldGUY

G

Here's an idea.
Since only the 3Gbps ports on the chipsets are affected, tell the motherboard manufacturers to release a BIOS update to disable them. Tell consumers to use the 6GBps ports. And give them credit to purchase a 4-port SATA card (PCI or PCI-E). in the long run, possibly offer to change the mobo and chipset when they become available.

Status
Not open for further replies.