Intel Overclocking Club

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zahirrudin

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
here you go...

EToe6MO.jpg

IlRJTBx.jpg

2yz7UFa.jpg

kMEsvv7.jpg

5AOXo2A.jpg

My advice would be to either get a 2 x8GB kit, or a 2 x16GB kit if you think you need more than 16GB. Those would be the best options. The third option, if 16GB is enough for your purposes would be to get another CMV8GX4M1A2133C15 Corsair module to use along with the one you already have that is 8GB.

Obviously, there are no guarantees that it will work because mixed RAM is always a crapshoot and that includes buying another module of the same part number at some later date, but it's an option and stands at least a fair chance of working, and working a lot better than that mishmashed nightmare you have going on right now. LOL.

I think that would be the path I'd take unless I could afford to simply sell off all those modules to somebody and/or just buy a matched set that we KNOW will work correctly together. If you do that, I'd suggest getting a kit in the 2800-3200mhz range. Shouldn't be enough to affect your overclock on the CPU and it might actually offer a small amount of increased snappiness to the response of the system. Plus, running only two modules instead of four will take a lot of stress off the memory controller so I see no reason not to increase the memory speed to a faster kit if you decide to go with an all new set of sticks rather than getting another like the one you have now.

If you do that instead, you can find one here:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-2133-288-Pin-Memory-CMV8GX4M1A2133C15/dp/B00SV7IILC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1544812785&sr=8-1&keywords=cmv8gx4m1a2133c15

Zahirrudin

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Yup...its a blunder from me trying to overclock my new brilliant CPU :lol: anyway this is not the end of the world..

How about Tridentz RGB 2x8gb 3000 Mhz ?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06WP4L3D7/

Is the RAM issue affecting stability of CPU temperature? Feel weird when temperature spikes during idle/less load but stable during gaming...

Those modules would be excellent. Yes, the more memory that is installed, the higher that CPU core and package temps are going to be. Each module in use increases the required voltage through the memory controller/CPU so for each module in use there will be a thermal penalty to pay.

That is another reason why we say that when you buy memory, buy ALL the memory you are ever going to need for that system. If you think all you will ever need is 16GB, then get a 2 x8GB kit. If you think you MIGHT need 32GB someday, then get a 2 x16GB kit. Don't ever PLAN to have to add memory later, because it's probable that it won't have the same configuration as your current memory even if you buy the EXACT same kit, AND you're going to increase the stress on the MC by adding two more modules. No memory manufacturers ever guarantee their memory kits will run at the advertised speed when using four modules on a four slot board.

For motherboards with six or eight slots, they might promise such a thing if you buy a six or eight module kit, but I'm not confident that most of them would guarantee anything other than each single module would be capable of running at that speed and that two of them most probably would. Anytime you go past two modules, all bets are off and there may be a good amount of configuration changing needing to be done in order to get all the memory to run together. Even then, they still might not all run together AND run at the rated speed. Much depends on whether you are overclocking (Helps), how good the motherboard is, what chipset it is, how good the memory modules are and what ICs they use, how clean the power delivery is and how many power phases are devoted to the memory and whether there is very good ripple, noise and voltage regulation from the power supply.

Reactions: FossFox

Zahirrudin

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
here my new rig

with $600 Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition but now running on PSU Corsair TX550M only.

how to overclock to 5.0Ghz, master? provided i buy new PSU....maybe $90 refurbished Seasonic PRIME platinum 1000W :bounce: :D

compprob237

Distinguished
First off:
This system, "Gramps", has three different CPUs. I have one X5660 and two X5670. The one I'm posting now is my worst X5670 (Needs tons of VCore) that I decided to crank to the limit that was still stable enough to pass benchmarks. I will post with the other two CPUs that are stable. I'll also post my i5-6600K system as well.

Name: Gramps
CPU: Intel Xeon X5670 #2
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58
CPU Voltage: 1.5875
CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 200x24
Clock Speed: 4.8GHz
RAM: 30GB (3x8GB+3x2GB) G.Skill mixed DDR3-1600 9-9-9-17
Cooling: Air
Not quite stable and thermal throttles but clears most benchmarks without throttling or crashing.
Gramps, the 9+ year old system that still puts up a fight with the young whipper snappers.
CPU-Z Validator | 3DMark - TimeSpy - CPU Score: 5232 | PassMark CPU score: 11,625 | UserBenchmark CPU Points (Single/Quad/Multi): 117/469/877
BXSMq5U.png

Using automatic overclocking methods and presets is largely frowned upon due to the fact that 100% of those methods result in unnecessarily high voltage to err on the side of stability, and the fact that you can't fine tune anything that way. It's really not a measure of anything that you are able to use one click overclocking methods. This thread is intended for actual overclocking questions and discussion.

Maxsupertweaker

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Using automatic overclocking methods and presets is largely frowned upon due to the fact that 100% of those methods result in unnecessarily high voltage to err on the side of stability, and the fact that you can't fine tune anything that way. It's really not a measure of anything that you are able to use one click overclocking methods. This thread is intended for actual overclocking questions and discussion.

That's why I posted it this way. For novice, this is the best way for them to get started. We advanced overclockers go to UEFI and do our own tweaks from the get-go.

You did look at my specs? You can't ask for better performance from my particular choice of components when I build this in 2018.

5047.00 MHz is enough for me with a Noctua D15 Air Tower Cooler.
https://valid.x86.fr/pb25kr
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14915124

Last edited by a moderator:

mammaliika

Honorable
Jul 21, 2016
CPU: i5-7600k @ 5Ghz
Motherboard: MSI Z270 Sli plus
CPU Voltage: 1.240v
RAM: 2x8GB Corsair 2400mhz cl16
Cooling: Arctic Freezer 34 duo

Userbenchmark - https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/17300713
CPU-Z - https://valid.x86.fr/7ti323
prime95 2h - https://prnt.sc/nvcven

BIOS settings

CPU Ratio : 50
Cpu Ratio mode : Fixed
CPU ratio offset when running AVX : Auto
Ring ratio : auto
CPU Loadline Calibration : mode 4
CPU core voltage mode : Override+Offset
CPU core voltage : 1.240v
CPU core voltage offsetmode : -
CPU core voltage offset : 0.005

P.S it also runs stable @ 4,8Ghz 1.130v

carlsow

Prominent
Dec 31, 2018
Name: Carlsow
CPU: i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX
CPU Voltage: 1.126V
CPU Bus Speed/Multiplier: 100*44
Clock Speed: 4.4 GHz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Series 16GB (4x4GB) 9-9-9-24
Cooling: Corsair H115i PRO 55.4 CFM Liquid

4.4 GHz Complete
4.4 GHz Load 9 of 10
CPU-Z Validator Test

Best Regards,

Carlsow

Last edited:
That actually doesn't show it running at 4.4Ghz. It shows that it peaked at that frequency at some point, but the current frequency when you took the screenshot was not under a prime load or a substantial verification. A validation from Realbench showing completion of at least an hour of stress test, that would be verification. HWinfo window showing an average of 4.4Ghz for an hour WHILE running Prime95 with the AVX and AVX2 options disabled, that would be verification. Seems a good start, but doesn't really meet the criteria.

Reactions: carlsow

carlsow

Prominent
Dec 31, 2018
That actually doesn't show it running at 4.4Ghz. It shows that it peaked at that frequency at some point, but the current frequency when you took the screenshot was not under a prime load or a substantial verification. A validation from Realbench showing completion of at least an hour of stress test, that would be verification. HWinfo window showing an average of 4.4Ghz for an hour WHILE running Prime95 with the AVX and AVX2 options disabled, that would be verification. Seems a good start, but doesn't really meet the criteria.

Hi Darkbreeze,

Thank you for taking the time to look over my post. I've added a few images that I'm hoping will provide the required information. If not, I'll look into doing some tests again.

I will admit that I'm pretty new to this. If there is a post that you would consider to be the "model" post containing the desired information/format, would you be willing to point me to it? I've tried looking over some of the previous posts and I thought my original post was inline with the ones I reviewed.

Thanks again for your input.

Carlsow

Well, since there's no awards involved, lol, and this is a generally open thread, you can really do as you please. Mostly this thread has evolved into a place for people who are looking for help with some aspect of their Intel overclock, but usually validations are somewhat more stringent. Otherwise, anybody could say "yeah, I have my 9900k at 5.5Ghz, and probably they could do that, for a few seconds at max loads, without LN2, but then it would go sideways. Heh.

Nov 4, 2019
i tried OC for 1st time the i9 9900k but the system was unstable. I want to go back to stock settings but can only be done manually. Except from the clock speed that is 3.6 i dont know if any of the other settings were affected.
Do we know the original default settings of the i9 9900k like voltage or clock cache?

Just do a hard reset of the BIOS. Everything will be back to the stock configuration.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Reactions: super_sayian