1.4ghz pentium 4 from $575 to $440

Well thats all

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Extrapolating from that I'd say a PIII-800EB will end up between CDN$180-200 which sounds reasonable as the TBird-800 is CDN$190. Wow - that means you should be able to get dual 800EBs on a VP6 with 256MB Micron CAS2/142MHz ram for under CDN$800 here soon (that less then US$550). I think I'll wait for a DDR chipset 'tho.

- JW

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thats a hella price cut, wonder what made em do that....

If at first you don't succede, skydiving isn't for you.
<font color=blue>Intel Inside</font color=blue> = Idiot Outside

G

I bet ya 2 bucks that Intel read our threads and got scared ;-)

- Better go Green than Blue!

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Any bets on whether AMD counters with another price cut? I guess they still win bang for the buck but when the bucks converge people will go with the "known quantity" that is Intel Inside. (for better or worse)

I think I'm going to hold off a bit on buying that new computer...

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
at this rate you better save your 2 bucks for your next cpu.

amd must be,...green with envy! hehe.

- Amd Helpdesk -

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmdMeltdown on 01/24/01 04:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I'm happy, like really happy, Everyone wins in a situation like this, competition kicks ass, if you like intel, you can buy it for reasonable prices now, and if you like amd, they're probably going to cut their prices lower than they were before... sweet god i haven't been this happy in like forever.

tfbww

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2001
Why, exactly, is that Jr. Grove? Because Intel is still more expensive and more expensive per performance? Why are they envious of that?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is real simple, there will be more ppl buying intel chips.

"chipzilla will have a better profit margin than chimpzilla!"

there will be ALOT more ppl buying chimpzilla chips, but at a lower profit margin.

Lower profit margin=low stocks, low stocks=low value, low value=sell-off, sell-off=delisting , delisting=via buys Amd!

don't get me wrong, Amd will be around for along time, and they will most likely have a successful dual solution, but they'll have a long,hard and bumpy road ahead of them.

- Amd Helpdesk -

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you seem to want AMD to fail. what the hells wrong with you? if it werent for AMD, Intel would never had cut prices, so shut up and quit bitching and playing the "i told ya so" game

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you seem to want Intel to fail. what the hells wrong with you? if it werent for Intel, AMD would never had cut prices, so shut up and quit bitching!

- "Amd does not suck, Amd user do!" -

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
AMDMeltdown... Really, a funny post (even if true) - still LOL.

On a more sober note; now if only Asus would cut the price of their excellent but expensive CUSL2 boards!

TheAntipop

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
meltdown, ive got to hand it to you, ive never seen someone abuse another post like that, and although you fell short on the intelligence department, you should feel good that you made that one guy laugh. congrats

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
VP6 still stuck with a VIA chipset. I just found out from elmers77 that the Asus P2BD-S supports Copppermine chips. It's dual and uses the ultra-reliable (old reliable) BX chipset, is available with onboard SCSI, and supports overclocking for 100MHz sytem bus to 112. Since the Abit version does not support the Coppermine, this seems like a good alternative.

Suicide is painless...........

jclw

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Crashman: see my post in the motherboard section about the new dual 815E board. I love my BX board but if I was buying a new dual system I'd go dual 815E. The P2B-D is $$$$$. I wouldn't go VIA either, I just said a VP6 because it was the only one I could easily get a price on.

- JW

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm, Let the BP6 ride again. 1ghz P3 coming tommorrow. well i guess I'll sell my athlon 600 w/ V3 3500 + voodoo2 SLI.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think there is one keynote that concerns me the most about all of this.

If Intel does drop their prices, more people will buy Intel again. (Or just even more people in general.)

AMD's only course of action will be to cut their prices.

And this means that AMD will be making less profit than Intel. Less profit = less to spend on research and development.

And THAT is what scares me.

It's obvious that Intel is trying some weird and new concepts for chips and that their R&D engineers are having a ball.

And it's just as obvious that AMD is already struggling to keep up with that kind of innovation.

So far it's worked out for AMD because Intel hasn't made anything that is difinitively better, despite being more creative and thoughtful.

But what if that changes?

Already the concept of the quad-pumped bus sounds great. And the highly intensive bandwidth use has a lot of potential for PC enhancement with the same chip but just better memory. That'd be cool.

And if Intel for once makes a chip that IS worth their high price and DOES completely outperform AMD, what R&D does AMD have going that'll counter that?

So far it looks like next to none.

And the less profit margin they get, the less R&D there will be.

And before you know it, all AMD will be once again is just a crappy clone like Cyrix. And then there will really be no more competition.

And we all get screwed.

So as much as I'm for Intel dropping their prices, it's concerning me greatly because we already know AMD isn't putting all that much effort into R&D ever since they came out with the Athlon ages ago.

- Sanity is purely based on point-of-view.