[SOLVED] Intel Rapid Storage Technology and Optane

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Building a new system, ASRock Creator x299 mobo, I'm going down the list to install most of what I think I need. I had an issue, and decided to clean install Windows 10. Then when it came to installing Intel Optane from the ASRock Downloads page, it said that I didn't have an open partition with space for memory. After going through many different websites and instructions, I used 3rd party software to create a partition after the recovery drive. Well, that came up with an error that it may not load right so I decided to do another Windows clean install. I did it, and again it wouldn't let me install Optane. So I went through and installed everything else. I went back to it at the end and it said 'The Intel Optane memory application cannot be installed with Intel Rapid Storage Technology". I look that up, and Intel said that IRST can control Optane memory. I don't have an Optane drive/storage.. but I'd like to understand what's happened here. Just need my system stable and running as well as it possibly can for work.

Would really appreciate the clarification!

ASRock X299 Creator
i9-10980XE
64GB GSKill
Samsung M.2 512GB Pro (main drive)
Nvidia 2080ti
EVGA T2

Solution
"Optane" needs a fully discreet Optane drive.
It is used as a tierd cache on top of a spinning HDD.

In the case of already having a fast NVMe SSD....Optane on top of that is useless.

And you cannot use IRST and Optane at the same time.
And you only have the one really fast drive, so neither applies.

Ignore both.

USAFRet

Titan

In the case of already having a fast NVMe SSD....Optane on top of that is useless.

Ignore both.

Solution

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012

Ignore both.

Thank you for the reply US. I'm sorry, I should I have mentioned this in my first post, but I place to add a couple HDD and 4 SSD drives on SATA to the final build. Does this change anything?

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you for the reply US. I'm sorry, I should I have mentioned this in my first post, but I place to add a couple HDD and 4 SSD drives on SATA to the final build. Does this change anything?
Yes. That config makes either of those technologies less useful.
Ignore Optane and IRST.

Given an NVMe and 6x SATA drives, be cognizant of which SATA ports may be disabled on your motherboard when using a drive in an M.2 port.
Depending on the board, that can happen.

neverknowu

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2012
Thank you for that clarity US! Always appreciate your time and thank you for that useful tip...

It was interesting with this board that while 2 M.2 drives installed in it disabled one of the PCIe slots, the 3rd one disabled SATA port #7. Seems odd to me! Oh well.