Question Intel Stock Cooler runs at same rpm whether the cpu is idle or in load. Is this Normal?

Muhammad Jahid

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
I am using Cori3 10105 with its Stock Cooler. I recently found that the cpu fan keeps running at around 2700 rpm. It never changes whether the cpu is idle or in load. It always stucks in same rpm and causing noise.
Is this Normal for stock cooler?

Last edited:
No, it's not normal. Are you sure this is the cooler that belongs with this CPU? It is actually the cooler that came with it?

Has it always done this or did it's behavior recently change and only recently started doing this? Or, you're not sure?

Have you tried going into the BIOS and setting the fan curve for the CPU_FAN header so that it will be thermally controlled?

What is your motherboard model?

Which fan header is the CPU fan plugged into?

Reactions: Muhammad Jahid

Muhammad Jahid

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
No, it's not normal. Are you sure this is the cooler that belongs with this CPU? It is actually the cooler that came with it?

Has it always done this or did it's behavior recently change and only recently started doing this? Or, you're not sure?

Have you tried going into the BIOS and setting the fan curve for the CPU_FAN header so that it will be thermally controlled?

What is your motherboard model?

Which fan header is the CPU fan plugged into?

I am using the cooler that came with the processor.
The cpu cooler is connected with cpu fan header.
I am using bioster H510MX/E 2.0 motherboard.
I recently cleaned my pc. But I am not sure from when the problem started.

I already gone through the bios. and I switched it to different modes like Quiet, Agressive, Full on mode. But the fan rpm remains the same.

Is the CPU fan RPM being reported in the BIOS?

Try downloading and installing HWinfo. Run it and check the box next to "Sensors only". Do not enable "Summary". Click ok. Scroll down to the H510MX/E v2.0 section where there should be a listing for the fan RPM for CPU, System 1, System 2, CPU_OPT, etc. and see if an RPM signal for the CPU fan is being detected and reported.

Considering you say "2700 rpm" I'm going to assume that yes, it is being reported, in which case I'd say you most likely have a problem with the PWM circuit on the CPU cooler. That means you most probably need to replace it with another cooler and I'd recommend not going with a stock cooler again since those are somewhat expensive on the aftermarket and you can get a really excellent cooler in the 20-30 dollar range in most countries. Especially since it's only an i3 that needs cooled.

Reactions: Muhammad Jahid

Muhammad Jahid

Commendable
Jun 4, 2020
Is the CPU fan RPM being reported in the BIOS?

Try downloading and installing HWinfo. Run it and check the box next to "Sensors only". Do not enable "Summary". Click ok. Scroll down to the H510MX/E v2.0 section where there should be a listing for the fan RPM for CPU, System 1, System 2, CPU_OPT, etc. and see if an RPM signal for the CPU fan is being detected and reported.

Considering you say "2700 rpm" I'm going to assume that yes, it is being reported, in which case I'd say you most likely have a problem with the PWM circuit on the CPU cooler. That means you most probably need to replace it with another cooler and I'd recommend not going with a stock cooler again since those are somewhat expensive on the aftermarket and you can get a really excellent cooler in the 20-30 dollar range in most countries. Especially since it's only an i3 that needs cooled.

You are right. I also guessed that there might be some problem in that cooler. Some Salesmans in our local market add different stock cooler with the tray processor and sell as a box processor. I think I bought one of them.

I am going to buy a after market cooler.
Thanks for your time.