Intel's Dirty Tricks

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Apparently that report by the Aberdeen group was funded by Intel. And they never talked to AMD when they were researching it. Intel must be getting desperate if they have to resort to this to try to make AMD look bad. Another notch against Intel in my book. I'm not surprised, though ... Intel seems to like to spread FUD.

Here's the article: <A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/27030210.htm" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/27030210.htm</A>

And for all you Inquirer haters, Intel admitted to it already. They denied that their funding of the report affected its objectivity. Right ....

<i>Money talks. Mine always likes to say "goodbye." :smile: </i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
"The fact is that AMD processors are quite efficient for lots of applications and do not need the steroids of hokey equivalency to deserve market respect."

You're right, that sounds exactly like something an Intel PR man would write.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Always with the clever comeback, but you're missing the point. Did you read the whole article, or just that one line?

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Intel funding derogitory reports. Intel PR people saying that MHZ is everything. Either Intel is desprate, or they simply have been and will continue to be a dirty player in the chip market.

Not that AMD is an angel, but I would apreciate some sort of honesty from the company, or at least for them to not bother saying anything, that to lie outright again and again like Intel seems to like to do.

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is the kind of crap Intel pulls on a regular basis. And it's one of the reasons why I'm such an Intelfanboy.

What's <A HREF="http://www.vanshardware.com/" target="_new">this</A> all about?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
More than just Intel FUD, it shows how seriously pathetic analysts are. I’m glad theinquirer is tossing this crap back at the fan because it usually lands on those who produced it and crap smells like crap.

All errors are undocumented features waiting to be discovered.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
But despite the fact that the article overall was highly negative toward AMD, you picked one sentence out of context to imply that it wasn't? I doubt that Intel needs any additional help from you. Apparently they can hire Aberdeen, whoever they are, to write negative reports about AMD whenever they want to.

I read it the first time it was posted.
BTW, my link wasn't to the original article that was posted yesterday, but to the new one today.

FatBurger

Illustrious
BTW, my link wasn't to the original article that was posted yesterday, but to the new one today.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry.

I agree that it was the only sentence (at least that I saw) that put AMD in a good light, but if it was ghost-written by Intel as most people are implying, then I doubt it would have anything good to say about AMD.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Apparently they can hire Aberdeen, whoever they are, to write negative reports about AMD whenever they want to.
pssssst, AMD pays Inquest.com, Amdzone.com and Vanshardware.com to write disparaging reports about Intel.

also, boycottrambust.com is owned and operated by <A HREF="http://www.tompublishing.com/" target="_new">Tom publishing LLC</A> which is <A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com/#20" target="_new">Chris and Jeff Tom's</A> other anti-Intel front subsidised by AMD and Micron.

Chris tom and Van Smith meet regularly to discuss strategies and plans of attack.

but it seems that everbody is mum or just blind when it comes to these little things!

I challenge anyone to refute this.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
the hardware biz is a dirty one, live with it. Just look at the crap video card makers pull, much worse than this.

<i>My life wasn't complete untill I tried sse-2 optimized pong</i>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I'm not claiming that Intel ghost wrote it, but I'm sure Aberdeen knew what the overall tone of the article was supposed to be. That one line that was favorable to AMD was clever, considering the real objective was to discredit the PR system. I guess the PR thing is getting under Intel's skin.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Yeah, I know about Van Smith being anti-Intel. But he doesn't have much of a reputation around the THGC, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about him. I don't pay attention to him myself, despite the fact that I prefer AMD.

I think it's pretty clear that a site called the AMDZone supports AMD. If you like Intel, don't go there. But I don't think they have much influence beyond the AMD adherents that actually visit the site.

Chris Tom? So he and Van Smith plot against Intel? Ooooooo ... I'm sure Intel is scared.

Anyway ... my personal opinion is that Intel shouldn't need to resort to paying some no-name group to write an article criticizing AMD's PR system. That kind of brings them down closer to Van Smith and the other people you don't like.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
the hardware biz is a dirty one, live with it
Yeah, I'm aware that the hardware business can get nasty. This just seems a little bit petty for a well-respected firm like Intel.

Tiberius13

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2002
The most interesting thing about that article to me is that it brings up a lot of good points. A PR rating is Not an accurate way to compare AMD processors to Intel processors. There are too many variables, and over time the PR rating would get out of whack as cpu cores change, etc.

The problem with the article is that it remains very narrow minded with a focus on only slamming AMD for this - even though AMD does the PR against 1 static processor.. it's OWN Athlon, not Intels P4. The confusion this might cause in the future (assuming the PR Ratings don't get adjusted in the future... which would be a bad assumption) is legitimate, but only as much so as the same confusion that would be caused by an Intel Celeron and P3 processor at the same Mhz rating.... or a P4 Willamette and a P4 Northwood at the same Mhz rating. Mhz isn't a perfect performance rating either so who says Intel is right?!

The general message is legitimate.... but the 100% anti-AMD slant is sensationalism. The article title is sensationalism. People write articles with a skewed edge for many reasons... the most important being that people LIKE it! They read it for the edge! It gives them things rally behind or to bitch about. Boring 100% factual articles don't sell. They read drier than the dictionary.

Even Tom's articles and reviews get a slant applied to them to spice them up... as all of us have surely noticed.

Intel and AMD will both get involved in this process as marketing is the real key to success for both of them.

Some articles slant towards AMD... some slant towards Intel... the intelligent among us will mine the real facts from both types and be better informed than those with closed minds.

<font color=green><b>More salt than just a grain you will need with posts of mine. - Yoda©®</b></font color=green>

Zlash

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Are you Jerry Springers retarded kid or something lol?

<font color=red>:</font color=red> <font color=white>:</font color=white> <font color=blue>:</font color=blue>

bront

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
pssssst, AMD pays Inquest.com, Amdzone.com and Vanshardware.com to write disparaging reports about Intel.

also, boycottrambust.com is owned and operated by Tom publishing LLC which is Chris and Jeff Tom's other anti-Intel front subsidised by AMD and Micron.

Chris tom and Van Smith meet regularly to discuss strategies and plans of attack.

but it seems that everbody is mum or just blind when it comes to these little things!

I challenge anyone to refute this.
I challenge you to prove all of this. The payroll, the stratergy meatings, everything.

Yes, some of them may be Anti-intel, and yes it wouldn't suprise me about AMDzone, but what do you expect from a site called AMDzone?

Bad trolls Bad trolls... Whacha gonna do... Whacha gonna do when they post here too...

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
What are you on about ?! The report slated Ghz as a performance measurement as well so it looks like the Aberdeen group shafted Intel as well as AMD.

The fact that Intel funded the report has little to do with it...Intel fund a lot of stuff outside thier company. The only critisim I have is that they did not contact AMD to find out thier view on the whole PR fiasco.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

Kennyshin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Even Intel Korea seems to spend a lot on marketing in a very poor country. I don't know exactly how much Intel's Japanese branch and Chinese branch spend on marketing.

Not very objective but I wouldn't call it dirty.

Searching for the true, the beautiful, and the eternal

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
What are you on about ?! The report slated Ghz as a performance measurement as well so it looks like the Aberdeen group shafted Intel as well as AMD.
What am I on about? The fact that the article was highly critical of AMD for supposedly misleading customers, yet there was no criticism of Intel for promoting the "GHz is everything" line. Which isn't surprising, considering who paid for the report. I don't think the PR system is perfect, but I don't think pure GHz is any better as a system of comparison. But AMD takes all the criticism, while Intel gets none. That's what I'm on about.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I agree that it was the only sentence (at least that I saw) that put AMD in a good light, but if it was ghost-written by Intel as most people are implying, then I doubt it would have anything good to say about AMD.

Maybe if they wanted it to be OBVIOUSLY biased, a little moderation/compliment to the enemy is the best way to appear unbiased.

:wink: The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark :wink:

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I have an idea for a new method of testing performance (groan) :)

There was this old game that i installed once that would tell you what processor you were running and at what speed (can't remember the name of the game sorry!).

The funny thing was, it always gave the cpu as 486 and the mhz was worked out accordingly. My then 686-100mhz came up as a 486-153mhz. This should be the way its done :)

My xp-1600 will probably show up as a 486-3815mhz...but dammit everyone will know where everyone stands now!!!!