Intel's Plans for New SSDs in 2012 Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be some speculation about the controller in the new Intel 520 ssd which will be released on November 4th. No official word yet whether the ssd will be equipped with an Intel, Marvel, or some other controller.

I noticed in a few other forums that members were wishing for a SandForce based controller. It's probably just wishfull thinking with no basis in fact.

Too bad my crystal ball is cracked and does not work.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wunderkinder[/nom]Will the price drop?[/citation]

Depends on the competition, Intel have had 60% profit from the previous series and without competition Intel will be more like in the old days before AMD came with Athlon.. Hope the bulldozer will be able to deliver or Intel will stop their swinging and revert to take huge sums of money for small upgrades once again. Competition FTW!

soky602

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]Depends on the competition, Intel have had 60% profit from the previous series and without competition Intel will be more like in the old days before AMD came with Athlon.. Hope the bulldozer will be able to deliver or Intel will stop their swinging and revert to take huge sums of money for small upgrades once again. Competition FTW![/citation]
What does AMD got to do with Intel's SSD's pricing?

jecho

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
[citation][nom]soky602[/nom]What does AMD got to do with Intel's SSD's pricing?[/citation]
You apparently know nothing of business and should now keep your mouth shut or your jelly fingers off the keyboard

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]JECHO[/nom]You apparently know nothing of business and should now keep your mouth shut or your jelly fingers off the keyboard[/citation]

Or maybe you don't know the difference between a desktop CPU and an SSD.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]soky602[/nom]What does AMD got to do with Intel's SSD's pricing?[/citation]
I believe he is saying Intel basically has no competition against a known rival (AMD)as they have nothing to offer in terms of SSD. However, this can turn out like the events of AMD releasing Athlon against Intel. For all we know, AMD could have plans for SSDs (they already have RAM made, but not for consumers such as ourselves). Bulldozer was just a side note considering he brought up CPUs.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
[citation][nom]pckitty4427[/nom]The price of an 800GB SSD will probably by as much as a computer.[/citation]
Several computer actually. OCZ has 720GB, 960GB, and 1 TB SSDs that cost over $2k.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]pckitty4427[/nom]The price of an 800GB SSD will probably by as much as a computer.[/citation]

wow, they make 5000+ computers?
1000$ cpu
2400$ 4xgpu
600$ 2 16gb kits
300$ motherbord
200$ hdd
100$ boot ssd
200$ sound card

even that retardedly expensive computer i listed comes in cheaper than i think the 800gb ssd will be

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Ugh I bet the 800 GB variation will be around $2k. :( I'm still waiting on an affordable 1 TB SSD. Maybe if I'm lucky I can keep my dual core machine running until then...maybe 2013?

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

I was refering to what happens in a market without any real competition, Intel today are one of the few SSD producers that have control of the whole chain all the way from the Nand production. Samsung are in the same spot but they do anything to keep the margain up no matter the cost, search for "Samsung DDR Court" and you should get a fair idea how much they "like" competition..

Most of the other SSD producers have to purchase the Nand + Controllers from different suppliers and that drives up price per unit so there are really no competition - Thats why the prices are what they are and the 60% margain can be maintained. The Amd was more of an example of what happens when a company have dominated a market to long...

gavjof

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Ugh I bet the 800 GB variation will be around $2k. I'm still waiting on an affordable 1 TB SSD. Maybe if I'm lucky I can keep my dual core machine running until then...maybe 2013?[/citation]
Good luck with that. Why would you want/need a 1TB SSD?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I have yet to see a new SATA SSD get much better random read performance than my Intel X25-m G2 80GB drive. I hope the Sandforce 3000 controllers or whatever they will be called will bring more innovation!

Status
Not open for further replies.