[SOLVED] Internet cuts off on 1 PC while streaming but on the 2nd same network.

Nookei

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
First of all I want to apologize if this is the wrong category to post this in, it seemed the most accurate based on the issue I am experiencing.

Specs:

Router: TP-Link Archer C64.
MotherBoard: Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
Power supply: Sseasonic s12ii 520 bronze
Processor: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: Gainward GeForce RTX 2060
Ram: 2x8GB Vengeance LPX @ 3000 MHz

Software used related to issue:
OBS Studio
FiveM
GTAV
Google Chome
Spotify (sometimes)

ISSUE itself :

So as of lately I've been experiencing an issue where when I stream via OBS, I use my (GPU as the encoder) , I am connected to FiveM (which is a platform for GTA V modded servers) and I have a few chrome tabs open (roughly 4-5 tabs at any time, 1 of them being my stream's dashboard which includes a preview of the stream) If I open another chrome tab and go to a subreddit with embedded videos my internet will just cut off for a couple of seconds (enough to cut off my stream).

I have a second computer for work which I've kept on to run a cmd propt ping while doing the same on my gaming PC. I am simultaneously pinging twitch.tv on both cmds and I notice that on my gaming pc (where I experience the issue) I start losing packages while on the work pc (that has nothing running generally outside of that ping) I don't loose packages. Both PCs are connected via cable to the router. The router is connected to a multy-media adapter of sorts that converts the gigabit internet.

I am thinking this is a hardware issue but I would like to get to the exact one(s) that might be causing the issue.

I am happy to provide any other information to help get to a resolution

Solution
It's your system here. Memory Hard Faults are when you've run out of ram and the system must dip into the virtual memory on the hard drive. This will absolutely cause stutters and hiccups.

Your CPU does hit 100% usuage, and sits dangerously close to 100% usage. This means you've maxed out all your 6 main cores and are even nearly maxed out on your 6 additional threads as well. Ideally, I like to only use my main cores for gaming, so I don't ever like to be above 50% cpu during gaming, so I'm not dipping into the additional hyperthreads. Are you sure you're using GPU encoding, this looks like you may be using cpu encoding, not Nvenc?

Luckily, AMD has several generations of CPU's on AM4. So you can easily upgrade your CPU to a...
This is a hard one when you have that much software running.

I would ping the router IP address instead but I suspect it is going to be the same.

I do not see it on your motherboard but it has become very common for video cards and motherboard to bundle some crappy network "gaming" network software. This pretend it can somehow improve gaming latency. It causes all kinds of strange errors. Many times a lot of the bloatware is bundled with the drivers so it is easy to be tricked into installing it. A very common name is CFOSspeed.

I would check the event viewer and see if there are any messages around the times this happens. Maybe the resource manager would show a spike in something. I guess if the cpu somehow got stuck in some process long enough it could disrupt the network.

Nookei

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
This is a hard one when you have that much software running.

I would ping the router IP address instead but I suspect it is going to be the same.

I do not see it on your motherboard but it has become very common for video cards and motherboard to bundle some crappy network "gaming" network software. This pretend it can somehow improve gaming latency. It causes all kinds of strange errors. Many times a lot of the bloatware is bundled with the drivers so it is easy to be tricked into installing it. A very common name is CFOSspeed.

I would check the event viewer and see if there are any messages around the times this happens. Maybe the resource manager would show a spike in something. I guess if the cpu somehow got stuck in some process long enough it could disrupt the network.
I forgot to mention this. I did ping the router directly and I had no packet losses on both PCs And this is something that only recently started happening, I've been doing this for quite some time now.

I have tried looking at the resource monitor too but didn't know exactly what to look for

Can't say what to look for anything that looks strange, it can be pretty much anything. This is just hoping to get a clue what to look at.

It is strange that you can ping the router IP with no loss. That means it is not some simple network issue it has to be more complex.

What happens if you ping 8.8.8.8. You said you ping twitch.tv but what happens if you ping the IP address rather than the name.

Nookei

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
Can't say what to look for anything that looks strange, it can be pretty much anything. This is just hoping to get a clue what to look at.

It is strange that you can ping the router IP with no loss. That means it is not some simple network issue it has to be more complex.

What happens if you ping 8.8.8.8. You said you ping twitch.tv but what happens if you ping the IP address rather than the name.

So pinging 8.8.8.8 yielded 0 packet loss , just pinging it. When I was able to re-create the issue. I noticed this in the Res Monitor:

j8xYkzl.png

I managed to recreate the issue again by connecting the cable to the router and them from the router to the pc. I was not successfully able to recreate it by plugging the cable directly into the PC. But then again I haven't been able to recreate this issue 10 out of 10 times so far. So I'm abit doubtful if it's the router or the cable that's the issue.

If you can ping 8.8.8.8 then you have traffic going out to the internet all the way to google.

Now this path might be different than twitch. What I would do is open 2 windows and let ping run to twitch on one and to 8.8.8.8 on the other. Really the only difference is the DNS lookup for the name but that should only be done one time when you very first start the command.

The resource monitor is showing quite a load on the machine. You are over utilizing the memory and the total cpu is kinda high. Not sure if this is enough though to cause stalls.

Nookei

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
If you can ping 8.8.8.8 then you have traffic going out to the internet all the way to google.

Now this path might be different than twitch. What I would do is open 2 windows and let ping run to twitch on one and to 8.8.8.8 on the other. Really the only difference is the DNS lookup for the name but that should only be done one time when you very first start the command.

The resource monitor is showing quite a load on the machine. You are over utilizing the memory and the total cpu is kinda high. Not sure if this is enough though to cause stalls.

Tbh based on how I am trying to reproduce the issue (and how it's happening) it might indeed be a new cpu and/or new ram. Cos I only seem to lose internet access when the memory and/or processor are overloaded: streaming (encoding via gpu), running the GTAV on high settings via FiveM , having a bunch of chrome tabs open and then specifically when I load up the subreddit with the embedded clips. I mean a Ryzen 5 2600 isn't the greatest so I might as well look for upgrades and hopefully that solves it and I'll post if that helps or if I figure something else in the mean time

It's your system here. Memory Hard Faults are when you've run out of ram and the system must dip into the virtual memory on the hard drive. This will absolutely cause stutters and hiccups.

Your CPU does hit 100% usuage, and sits dangerously close to 100% usage. This means you've maxed out all your 6 main cores and are even nearly maxed out on your 6 additional threads as well. Ideally, I like to only use my main cores for gaming, so I don't ever like to be above 50% cpu during gaming, so I'm not dipping into the additional hyperthreads. Are you sure you're using GPU encoding, this looks like you may be using cpu encoding, not Nvenc?

Luckily, AMD has several generations of CPU's on AM4. So you can easily upgrade your CPU to a 3000 series 8 or 12 core fairly easily. Or even go to a 5000 series 8 or 12 core if you can stretch your budget.

I would also add 2 more stick of ram to get to 32GB. 16Gb is not too expensive these days, like $55.

Solution

Nookei

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020

Luckily, AMD has several generations of CPU's on AM4. So you can easily upgrade your CPU to a 3000 series 8 or 12 core fairly easily. Or even go to a 5000 series 8 or 12 core if you can stretch your budget.

I would also add 2 more stick of ram to get to 32GB. 16Gb is not too expensive these days, like $55.
That was my thought as well I just wasn't sure cos my knowledge isn't great when it comes to hardware. Yeah I was thinking about the Ryzen 5 5600 as an upgrade and 2x16 GB ram. Thank you for the info !

That was my thought as well I just wasn't sure cos my knowledge isn't great when it comes to hardware. Yeah I was thinking about the Ryzen 5 5600 as an upgrade and 2x16 GB ram. Thank you for the info !

The ryzen 5600x is still a 6 core 12 thread CPU. If you want to game and stream on the same computer, while managing multiple programs like chrome, OBS and other things for streaming. Then I would suggest you get an 8, 10 or even a 12 core cpu. Most modern games are now using up to 6 cpu cores, so that doesn't leave any dedicated cores for your other programs. Instead they'll rely on the extra hyperthreads.

I'd probably recommend a 5800x or 5900x.

Nookei

Reputable
Jan 5, 2020
The ryzen 5600x is still a 6 core 12 thread CPU. If you want to game and stream on the same computer, while managing multiple programs like chrome, OBS and other things for streaming. Then I would suggest you get an 8, 10 or even a 12 core cpu. Most modern games are now using up to 6 cpu cores, so that doesn't leave any dedicated cores for your other programs. Instead they'll rely on the extra hyperthreads.

I'd probably recommend a 5800x or 5900x.
Actually yeah I realized that right after I posted the reply. Also I have been messin with the OBS settings previously, so NOW I am sure I'm on Nvenc I might have had it on the CPU instead. And that would explain why "all of a sudden" these issues started happening.

Reactions: gggplaya
Actually yeah I realized that right after I posted the reply. Also I have been messin with the OBS settings previously, so NOW I am sure I'm on Nvenc I might have had it on the CPU instead. And that would explain why "all of a sudden" these issues started happening.

Good, I hope you figured it out. But I would still add the ram upgrade, many newer games are pushing over 10-12GB of ram usage, so if your total system ram is 16gb, then that doesn't leave alot of headroom for other apps. Since DDR4 is now much cheaper, it's a worthwhile upgrade if you have the extra 2 slots on your motherboard.