[SOLVED] Internet keeps lag spiking

Reksi007

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
Hello,

I am writing here, because my internet has been really bad now for a while. It keeps lag spiking and it is a torture to play games with these kind of lag spikes. I believe that the reason why it lag spikes is because others are either watching a stream, or simply just watching a youtube video and stuff like that. I've called the ISP many times and they are keep telling me that they don't see any problem with the internet even when i'm specifically telling them what the problem is. Could the router be bad and cause bad bufferbloat? Or is there anything else to take into account? We are using the xDSL connection.

Thanks for the help!
Alex.

Last edited:
Solution
Your router would need a feature that allows you see it.

Speedtest should show close to 40mbps you pay for or the ISP should fix this. You want to unplug everything but your pc and turn off the wifi radios so you are sure you are the only one on when you test.

If you get 40mbps then you internet is fine.

There really is no fix for over usage of the internet. You would have to get a house rule for example that says nobody can watch youtube if someone else wants to play a online game.

Reksi007

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014
How much internet bandwidth do you have. How much bandwidth do you think the other people in your house are using watching youtube.

It is not the ISP problem if you and others in your house are using all the bandwidth you purchase.
Well while checking it right now on SpeedTest it shows 13mbps download and 14 upload, while on the ISP's website it's written that we're suppose to get 40/10Mb/s. I have no idea how much they're using while watching stuff is there an accurate way to find out or to measure it?

Speedtest should show close to 40mbps you pay for or the ISP should fix this. You want to unplug everything but your pc and turn off the wifi radios so you are sure you are the only one on when you test.

There really is no fix for over usage of the internet. You would have to get a house rule for example that says nobody can watch youtube if someone else wants to play a online game.

Solution

Reksi007

Honorable
Dec 6, 2014

Are you sure there's nothing else to do? Because about a year ago it didn't use to be as bad or if it was even bad after all. I know they changed the router in the time being. We are not receiving the full bandwich that we are promised so I will let them know about this case. And also I don't know how one simple stream can cause such a big lag spikes... Like it goes from 30 to 120 sometimes even up to 300ms.

You need to do detailed testing. You must determine if you are overloading the connection or if there is another issue. Even if your router does not have monitors you can see on the pc itself how much bandwidth is being used.

If for example the stream is only using 10mbps and your game is using 1mbps and it has issues then there likely is some issue in your internet connection. Problem is you are going to have to prove it to the ISP.