Question Internet slows down drastically at certain time of day.

Alex_464

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
I know this will be a long shot asking this question here. Ive been onto my ISP and they told me the basic stuff "We will send you out a new router", "you might have too many devices connected", two engineers came out, one told us to replace our DSL wire so I did and the other told me that he can't do anything. He told us the best thing i can do is take pictures of when the internet slows down for proof and then call my ISP again. In the mean time i thought maybe someone might know a solution or have a better idea, around 6pm to 11pm my internet will drop from around 10mb download to 500kb . This has been going on for the past 3 months every day. I know this is when the ISP line will be most used since its when a lot of people get home, but this has only happened in the past 3 months. I use an ethernet connection to my pc and the rest of the devices that are connected to my internet have the same issues.

Recently though my internet has gotten a lot worse, averaging around 3mbs instead of the usual 10mbs. A solution i found to this was to unplug the DSL cable and plug it back in, this will make the download shoot back up to 10mbs but only for about 5 minutes then it will go back down to 3mbs.

If anyone has any idea of what might cause this or any solutions to help please do.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
It could indeed be the number of people and the associated traffic.

3 months ago there may have been X number of people and then the next day the count moved to X+1 people.

Some threshold value of people that the ISP's network cannot completely support at busy times.

One immediate suggestion: With DSL there should be a splitter/filter somewhere.

The splitter receives the incoming ISP signal and divides the signal into two paths: one path for telephone service and the other path for the router and serviced network.

FYI:

https://routerctrl.com/dsl-filter/

https://www.amazon.com/In-line-DSL-Filter-w-Splitter/dp/B003807GK6

(Second link for diagram purposes. Not a product recommendation or endorsement.)

You can easily find similar links for more information.

Look around for your splitter. They can and do go bad.

The splitter may have degraded to where it is the actual problem - not the traffic.

Alex_464

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
It could indeed be the number of people and the associated traffic.

3 months ago there may have been X number of people and then the next day the count moved to X+1 people.

Some threshold value of people that the ISP's network cannot completely support at busy times.

One immediate suggestion: With DSL there should be a splitter/filter somewhere.

The splitter receives the incoming ISP signal and divides the signal into two paths: one path for telephone service and the other path for the router and serviced network.

FYI:

https://routerctrl.com/dsl-filter/

https://www.amazon.com/In-line-DSL-Filter-w-Splitter/dp/B003807GK6

(Second link for diagram purposes. Not a product recommendation or endorsement.)

You can easily find similar links for more information.

Look around for your splitter. They can and do go bad.

The splitter may have degraded to where it is the actual problem - not the traffic.
Thanks for the reply, i got a new splitter when the new router came which was about a month ago but it seems to have made no difference with the speed of my internet. With and without the splitter its the same issue

Ralston18

Titan
ISP? Make and model modem/router?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Are you familar with the use of "ping", "tracert", and "pathping"?

It may take some additional work and time to determine and/or verify where the performance is slowing down.

Alex_464

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
ISP? Make and model modem/router?

The router's logs, if available and enabled, may provide some clue. Who has full admin rights to the router? You will need help from that person.

Are you familar with the use of "ping", "tracert", and "pathping"?

It may take some additional work and time to determine and/or verify where the performance is slowing down.
My ISP is Vodaphone, im not exactly sure what make and model my router is but i think its a "VOX30R1" i could be wrong though.

Ive full admin rights and im not familar with the use of "ping", "tracert" and "pathping"

Ralston18

Titan
All three commands can be and are useful for network troubleshooting.

The immediate objective being to determine if the slowness is due to or within your network, due to or at your ISP, or beyond your ISP.

If the problems are within your network and do not involve ISP provided devices the problem is "yours".

If the problems are due to or related to the ISP then it will take more effort to document the situation and hopefully find a solution via your ISP. (The starting point for many ISPs is to simply blame the customer's equipment/network.)

If the problem is beyond your ISP there is nothing you or the ISP can do.

Open the Command Prompt and run "ping 8.8.8.8" (without quotes).

Then run "tracert 8.8.8.8"

Lastly run "pathping 8.8.8.8" (This test will take a few minutes to complete).

What you are doing is sending packets to a Google server at IP address 8.8.8.8

Run all three commands and post each of the results. You should be able to copy and paste the results from the Command Prompt window without any need to retype everything. You can also target other IP addresses or URL's if there are problems to a specific location. Not necessary now.

And feel free to google each command as you deem necessary for more information. All three commands have switches that can be used for specific purposes. No need to be concerned with any of that for the time being. But you may find it all interesting.

Also, the results can be and are confusing - no need for immediate intrepretations. The objective is to just get you comfortable with running the commands, seeing the results.

With the results in hand, and posted, then that may garner additional posts with comments, suggestions, and ideas. There are several members herein that very knowledgeable about reading and interpreting the command results.

Reactions: Ragnarok17

Alex_464

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
All three commands can be and are useful for network troubleshooting.

The immediate objective being to determine if the slowness is due to or within your network, due to or at your ISP, or beyond your ISP.

If the problems are within your network and do not involve ISP provided devices the problem is "yours".

If the problems are due to or related to the ISP then it will take more effort to document the situation and hopefully find a solution via your ISP. (The starting point for many ISPs is to simply blame the customer's equipment/network.)

If the problem is beyond your ISP there is nothing you or the ISP can do.

Open the Command Prompt and run "ping 8.8.8.8" (without quotes).

Then run "tracert 8.8.8.8"

Lastly run "pathping 8.8.8.8" (This test will take a few minutes to complete).

What you are doing is sending packets to a Google server at IP address 8.8.8.8

Run all three commands and post each of the results. You should be able to copy and paste the results from the Command Prompt window without any need to retype everything. You can also target other IP addresses or URL's if there are problems to a specific location. Not necessary now.

And feel free to google each command as you deem necessary for more information. All three commands have switches that can be used for specific purposes. No need to be concerned with any of that for the time being. But you may find it all interesting.

Also, the results can be and are confusing - no need for immediate intrepretations. The objective is to just get you comfortable with running the commands, seeing the results.

With the results in hand, and posted, then that may garner additional posts with comments, suggestions, and ideas. There are several members herein that very knowledgeable about reading and interpreting the command results.
Thanks for the response, ive done a couple of pings before to test networks and such. I did these tests when my internet is "good" so they may differ when my speed drops, if necessary i can post the results again when my internet drops.

PINGING
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=108
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=147ms TTL=108
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=149ms TTL=108
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=102ms TTL=108

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 48ms, Maximum = 149ms, Average = 111ms

(When internet is bad)
Pinging 8.8.8.8 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=592ms TTL=110
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=467ms TTL=110
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=435ms TTL=110
Reply from 8.8.8.8: bytes=32 time=444ms TTL=110

Ping statistics for 8.8.8.8:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 435ms, Maximum = 592ms, Average = 484ms

TRACERT
Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.adsl.vf [192.168.1.1]
2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
Went on 30 times all "Request timed out"

PATHPING
Tracing route to dns.google [8.8.8.8]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 MY DESKTOP.station [MY IP ADDRESS]
1 www.adsl.vf [192.168.1.1]
2 192.168.0.1
3 * * *
Computing statistics for 50 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 DESKTOP-HD49S3N.station [192.168.1.15]
0/ 100 = 0% |
1 0ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% www.adsl.vf [192.168.1.1]
0/ 100 = 0% |
2 0ms 0/ 100 = 0% 0/ 100 = 0% 192.168.0.1

Trace complete.

Ralston18

Titan
This modem/router?

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/vodafone/gigabox-windows-10/getting-started/

Wondering about devices and connectivity.

The expected home network configuration is usually something like the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP ===( DSL, Coax, Fiber) ===> Modem [LAN port]-----> [WAN Port] Router [ LAN Ports] -----> Wired network devices and ~~~~ Wireless ~~~> Wireless network devices.

The modem and router can be combined.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary to match your network. Is the original router still connected in somewhere?

How many wired and wireless devices are being used? Have you configured any devices with static IP addresses?

Do you know if the modem and/or router's involved have been factory reset?

What make and model modem and router (or combination if combined) do you have?

The 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 IP addresses - two routers?

There should only be one device (router/gateway) enabled to provide DHCP IP addresses to network devices. Each network device should only have one network adapter (either wired or wireless) enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Alex_464

Honorable
Jun 29, 2017
This modem/router?

https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/vodafone/gigabox-windows-10/getting-started/

Wondering about devices and connectivity.

The expected home network configuration is usually something like the following line diagram where ----> represents an Ethernet cable:

ISP ===( DSL, Coax, Fiber) ===> Modem [LAN port]-----> [WAN Port] Router [ LAN Ports] -----> Wired network devices and ~~~~ Wireless ~~~> Wireless network devices.

The modem and router can be combined.

Edit and correct my line diagram as necessary to match your network. Is the original router still connected in somewhere?

How many wired and wireless devices are being used? Have you configured any devices with static IP addresses?

Do you know if the modem and/or router's involved have been factory reset?

What make and model modem and router (or combination if combined) do you have?

The 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.0.1 IP addresses - two routers?

There should only be one device (router/gateway) enabled to provide DHCP IP addresses to network devices. Each network device should only have one network adapter (either wired or wireless) enabled.

Run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.
Yes that modem.

6 Devices are being used as of right now. Only 1 is wired and thats my computer using Ethernet connection, i havent set up any of the devices IP addresses, theyve all been assigned automatically.

I only got the modem last month so im not sure if its been factory reset or not.

Im pretty sure the Modem/router i have the "vodaphone gigabox" is both a modem and router.

I think the make and model of the Modem is the Gigabox V0X0R1

About the two IP addresses im not sure honestly.

IPCONFIG
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-HD49S3N
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : station

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : station
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (7) I219-V
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 04-D9-F5-7D-DC-A4
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::95a2:41cd:940f:121%20(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.15(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 16 January 2023 15:56:19
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 17 January 2023 15:56:20
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 285530613
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-25-4B-0E-D5-04-D9-F5-7D-DC-A4
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.1.1.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 38-00-25-8D-09-1A

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 3A-00-25-8D-09-19

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Wireless-AC 9560 160MHz
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 38-00-25-8D-09-19

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 38-00-25-8D-09-1D

Ralston18

Titan
"ipconfig" indicates that your wired computer requested a DHCP IP address from the Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 and was provided with 192.168.1.15 as a result.

Your computer has only one wired network adapter enabled which is expected and correct.

This:

"I only got the modem last month so im not sure if its been factory reset or not. "

If you have not administratively accessed the Vodafone modem to change the admininstrative login name and password then the modem is likely at the default values and accessible to anyone who provides the default values. Commonly available.

Vodafone defaults and login

Try to login to the modem using 192.168.1.1 per the link's Vodafone Router Login Guide.

Are you able to login with the default values? Or the login name and password that you established?

While you are using the browser also try 192.168.0.1 - does the login screen for some other device appear? Can you gain access to that device?