Question Internet speed HALVED on computer, how to fix?

May 4, 2020
My computer works fine, but there is a really weird thing happening.

I pay for a 250Mbit network connection, which I only get when downloading games. Like programs such as Steam work perfectly with my internet. I get a steady 30MBs download speed.. Oddly enough, my normal internet browsing speed is capped at 133,4 or around this number. It will not go higher when I browse the internet. I have tried countless things including registry edits. The only thing I haven't tried is resetting windows because I simply have too many files to back-up. Interesting to note - upload speed is perfectly fine.

Do you guys have any thoughts on how to fix this issue?

kanewolf

Titan
My computer works fine, but there is a really weird thing happening.

I pay for a 250Mbit network connection, which I only get when downloading games. Like programs such as Steam work perfectly with my internet. I get a steady 30MBs download speed.. Oddly enough, my normal internet browsing speed is capped at 133,4 or around this number. It will not go higher when I browse the internet. I have tried countless things including registry edits. The only thing I haven't tried is resetting windows because I simply have too many files to back-up. Interesting to note - upload speed is perfectly fine.

Do you guys have any thoughts on how to fix this issue?
If stream downloads at 30MB/s then you are getting what you pay for. Browsing the internet, it is difficult to max out a higher bandwidth connection. Most web items are small and the time required to do DNS lookups and other overhead prevents the speed from maxing out. Also, you can be limited by the speed at the source.
If it was me, I wouldn't be concerned.

May 4, 2020
If stream downloads at 30MB/s then you are getting what you pay for. Browsing the internet, it is difficult to max out a higher bandwidth connection. Most web items are small and the time required to do DNS lookups and other overhead prevents the speed from maxing out. Also, you can be limited by the speed at the source.
If it was me, I wouldn't be concerned.
Thank you for your response.

Web downloads, via Chrome or Opera, do not reach the 30MBs threshold. They only reach a max speed of 133 Mbs, which is 16MBs. That is about half of what I pay for. So, therefore, I am concerned. It may be good to note that on other computers/devices it DOES reach the 250Mbs download speed. It is just my PC that it doesn't reach those speeds.

Cat 6 cable
New Ziggo router
Upgraded every square inch of my pc last year

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for your response.

Web downloads, via Chrome or Opera, do not reach the 30MBs threshold. They only reach a max speed of 133 Mbs, which is 16MBs. That is about half of what I pay for. So, therefore, I am concerned. It may be good to note that on other computers/devices it DOES reach the 250Mbs download speed. It is just my PC that it doesn't reach those speeds.

Cat 6 cable
New Ziggo router
Upgraded every square inch of my pc last year
Then it may be software on your motherboard limiting. Do you have any motherboard gaming prioritization software like the "ROG Game First" software?
You can also boot a Linux live CD and check under a different OS.

May 4, 2020
Nope, I don't have anything of the sorts. What do you mean with live cd? As in actual CD, because I don't have a cd player in my computer. Or is a virtual machine also fine?

TRENDING THREADS