Introducing the New Tom's Hardware Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am done, my profile is now empty, 9.1k exp gone, no badges, no history, constant page errors now wanting me to go to crappy uk site, when us is only one worth reading,last straw QQ and goodbye favorite!

You Officially SUCK Toms!

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Your badges and reputation are fully intact, moricon. As I mentioned in the update, we're rolling badges out separately later this week. What page errors are you receiving? The redirects should be halting for you if you aren't situated in Europe (might have to hard refresh the page to purge the previous version). Even so, if you are, the .co.uk site is now a perfect mirror.

Small rant:

Can you guys use another type of blue and red to distinguish between the tracking topics and their updates, please?

Other than that, looks very nice.

Cheers!

EDIT: Also, inside the forums, we can't get rid of the right panel now?

ionut19

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
Before i thing there ware badges on us and uk site and given different. I know i was seeing either one of them but not together. I think that it is how it was, will this be the same? If so it will suck. Or does the site have a single badge system together?

I haven't checked it in a long time but i think that's how it was.

"The new reputation system rewards quality of posts" -i thought the old type did that as well. Will check it out.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Or does the site have a single badge system together?

The site will have a singular badge system once it is rolled out. No more different numbers of badges whether you are on the UK mirror or the US version.

Can't edit the above post, it gives an error when i click "see the comments on the forums".
May have been a temporary issue posting this news story during the transition. For now, use the direct URL http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1622317/introducing-tom-hardware-community.html (or .co.uk if you are in Europe).

New page layout takes a bit to get used to. The unread replies were upper right column, now they're bottom right.
Also, I really hope a EDIT function has been implemented in TGuide, at least similar to TH.

[citation][nom]jpishgar[/nom]Making the right-column collapsible is literally like the first thing on our list.What's wrong with red vs. blue? What would you recommend instead?[/citation]

It's about the blue tones and red tones. My computer's LCD color intensity is really bad, so the 2-tones of blue (and red) look very alike from afar (20 inches+) and would like either a bigger flag or a more intense color of blue/red when there's new stuff. It should be a very quick change as well 8)

Thanks a lot.

Cheers!

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I think you guys just alienated all the older guys/gals that have worked hard at helping the community. there is nothing wrong with change when done correctly, this wasn't! shame, shame THG

you should have carried some of the achievements over, even if they were in a different form. something to show that that person is not a n00b in the subject.

not sure if I will continue to contribute to these forums

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
We did. Literally *all* of the achievements/badges will be carried over. You lose nothing in the process.

Additionally, we involved many of our veteran users every step of the way in the beta process, which we kept open for months to get as much feedback as we could possibly shove into one project. The predominant part of the forum you see now is the product of every one of our engaged users who contributed, tested and hammered at the beta. We're proud of this, and proud of the way the community stepped up and got involved in making this happen.

The moderator interface in profiles doesn't seem to be working; I was unable to swing the banhammer on a spammer earlier today.
I'll look forward to the badge move. So far the changes don't appear worthy of any other complaints. there are just some differences to figure out.

G

im glad you changed the points system, best move you could of done :)

Nope, I just went to someone's profile, and there is no Sheriff's star there. Also, there are no editing options on forum posts, so I would be unable to remove foul language or make similar changes.
Edit: Found another way to access the Mod options. One glitch: When I banned a spammer, the form was incomplete if I did not set a time (I chose a 5-year ban); previously that would have been a permaban.
Further Edit: The ban / delete on Vance Venzo (appears in this very thread) seems to have done nothing; the spam was not deleted.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
The spam appears to have been removed from this thread, from what I can see. Also the user profile indicates it was banned, so I think it worked, albeit bumpy.

That's a million registrations, not users. How many user do you have?
Depends on how you define user. Registrations is the best metric for figuring that out, but we also measure in terms of replies per thread, threads over time, and a few other key points. Have been really proud with the awesome growth and build-up of Tom's Community. "A heaping butt-load of users" works, to answer your question. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.