Invalid system disk after format

Jenny

I have an old 233Mhz Pentium II that had win95 on it.
I did a format and wanted to put win2000 on it but after
it gets through the post, it says invalid system disk and I
am unable to load w2k. I have Award v4.51PG bios.
The mobo is noname.

What should I do??? thanks

Jenny wrote:

> I have an old 233Mhz Pentium II that had win95 on it.
> I did a format and wanted to put win2000 on it but after
> it gets through the post, it says invalid system disk and I
> am unable to load w2k. I have Award v4.51PG bios.
> The mobo is noname.
>
> What should I do??? thanks

If your win2000 CD is bootable go in your bios and change the boot order
to look at the CDROM before the hard drive. If that doesn't work you
will need a boot floppy but the win2000 CD is probably bootable.

Jenny

The w2k has always been bootable but it isn't working in this situation for
some reason. I had two old computers (both MMX) and tried in it both and it
would not
work in either.
Do you know that web site where I can download a bootable floppy?
Thanks,

Jenny wrote:

> The w2k has always been bootable but it isn't working in this situation for
> some reason. I had two old computers (both MMX) and tried in it both and it
> would not
> work in either.
> Do you know that web site where I can download a bootable floppy?
> Thanks,

bootdisk.com

Jenny

Thanks Sal,
I went there and got the 95 boot just to test. I changed boot disk bootup
order.
That worked to get me to a prompt. I tried the w2k cd then in it's drive.
Got
message that "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."

Where do I go from here??
Thanks so much for your help!!!
Jenny

Jenny wrote:

> Thanks Sal,
> I went there and got the 95 boot just to test. I changed boot disk bootup
> order.
> That worked to get me to a prompt. I tried the w2k cd then in it's drive.
> Got
> message that "This program cannot be run in DOS mode."
>
> Where do I go from here??
> Thanks so much for your help!!!
> Jenny

I'd try the W2K Pro Sets at:
http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Read the notes at the bottom of that page.

Did you change the boot order to see the CD before the HD? Booting to
the CD would probably be your best bet if your system can do it.

From DOS prompt, change to the \i386 folder on the CD-Rom, and run
WINNT.EXE. That will install the basic files on your drive, then boot into
the Windows setup.

If you formatted the harddrive using Win 95, it probably formatted using FAT
16, which Windows 2000 does NOT support.

--
DaveW

"Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I have an old 233Mhz Pentium II that had win95 on it.
> I did a format and wanted to put win2000 on it but after
> it gets through the post, it says invalid system disk and I
> am unable to load w2k. I have Award v4.51PG bios.
> The mobo is noname.
>
> What should I do??? thanks

Jenny

Thanks all, I got it. I had to go get boot disk and that let me load w2k.

> If you formatted the harddrive using Win 95, it probably formatted using
FAT
> 16, which Windows 2000 does NOT support.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Jenny" <bry333@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> > I have an old 233Mhz Pentium II that had win95 on it.
> > I did a format and wanted to put win2000 on it but after
> > it gets through the post, it says invalid system disk and I
> > am unable to load w2k. I have Award v4.51PG bios.
> > The mobo is noname.
> >
> > What should I do??? thanks

Latest posts