iPhone 4: Who Needs the iPad Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Ipad's are a waste of money, iphone and itouch are the ones that should be bringing in the money. The Ipad is more useless than the iphone. However, the iphone is pretty danm awesome, iPad, not so much.

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
Apple is getting this "parting fools from their money" thing down to a science...lol...it is so fun to watch. Thank you for the entertainment Mr. Jobs.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
You can have your Iphone Editor, I'll take my Ipad over an Iphone 366 days a year. Other than the
actual phone itself, there is nothing in an Iphone that is not in the Ipad that one can not live without. If
you already have a phone than an Ipad is a far better product to purchase than upgradeing to an iphone4. The screen size on the Ipad makes a world of difference when typeing emails and reading text messages and calling up google maps. Most of the people who write these articals haven't a clue as to what they are talking about when comparing products. I can tell that's esspecially true with this artical, because if he actually placed an Ipad in his hands and used it for more than 5 minutes he would probably never waist his time with a small iphone again. They have sold more Ipads in the first two months than they sold iphones in it's opening 60 days and the Iphone was hyped twice as long. Their not selling an Ipad every 3 seconds because people don't have anything better to spend their money on, their selling them like hotcakes because they are truely awsome. Until you actually try one for awhile don't bother talking about or writeing about something you know nothing about.

It's a phone. To my mind, watching a Netflix movie on a phone is like, typing a thesis on a phone keypad, listening to music on a phone thru a $15 set of ear buds or kissing thru a screen door. You can get it done but the experience is so limited, there's not a lot to really enjoy.

These portable gadgets are great for doing something in a pinch. Using them as a substitute for the "real thing" seems to have no other reason other than "because I can". It's great for showing someone a clip of a movie ..... but sit and watch a whole movie....no thanks.

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Why do the iPad haters troll this web site posting the same junk over and over. They have sold 2 MILLION of the things, obviously your WRONG if you think there is no place for the iPad. 2M x min $500 ea = at least $1 BILLION in revenue not to mention money from Apps, and other things related to iPad. To argue with the obvious success of a device after only 2 months on the market is just ignorant.

mikeadelic

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2010
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]Why do the iPad haters troll this web site posting the same junk over and over. They have sold 2 MILLION of the things, obviously your WRONG if you think there is no place for the iPad. 2M x min $500 ea = at least $1 BILLION in revenue not to mention money from Apps, and other things related to iPad. To argue with the obvious success of a device after only 2 months on the market is just ignorant.[/citation]
they're not trolling. they're making very reasonable about observations. yes, they sold 2 million of those things, but will they continue at the same pace? I don't think so. I had a slight iPad-envy. But now, I think I'll dive in for the iPhone 4. I need a new phone much more than I need a confused gadget that doesn't really know what market it should fit in. learn some business sense. Apple is cannibalizing one of its own products. At first, we all thought it'd be the iPod touch... but now, I think the iPad is really in danger because the new iPhone packs in MUCH more features (heck, it even has the same processing power).

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
I'm an iPhone game developer, and we just got an iPad. Being honest, and refering to another opinion on the site, it is an amazing game console: all the power and usability of the iPhone with a huge screen! RTS's are just great, just like most games well ported to it.

But, apart from that, sorry, but smartphones and netbooks do everything else better. And the iPhone 4 is better in all ways except from a huge screen (worse for gaming, but amazing for the get-go).

Even then, I don't see the end of the iPad, because of it's great gaming potential, and especialy after reading news that quoted Nintendo and Sony aiming at Apple as their rival.

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]Why do the iPad haters troll this web site posting the same junk over and over. They have sold 2 MILLION of the things, obviously your WRONG if you think there is no place for the iPad. 2M x min $500 ea = at least $1 BILLION in revenue not to mention money from Apps, and other things related to iPad. To argue with the obvious success of a device after only 2 months on the market is just ignorant.[/citation]

The 2 million people either have pockets full of money and/or part of the uneducated mass :)

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]You can have your Iphone Editor, I'll take my Ipad over an Iphone 366 days a year. Other than theactual phone itself, there is nothing in an Iphone that is not in the Ipad that one can not live without. Ifyou already have a phone than an Ipad is a far better product to purchase than upgradeing to an iphone4. The screen size on the Ipad makes a world of difference when typeing emails and reading text messages and calling up google maps. Most of the people who write these articals haven't a clue as to what they are talking about when comparing products. I can tell that's esspecially true with this artical, because if he actually placed an Ipad in his hands and used it for more than 5 minutes he would probably never waist his time with a small iphone again. They have sold more Ipads in the first two months than they sold iphones in it's opening 60 days and the Iphone was hyped twice as long. Their not selling an Ipad every 3 seconds because people don't have anything better to spend their money on, their selling them like hotcakes because they are truely awsome. Until you actually try one for awhile don't bother talking about or writeing about something you know nothing about.[/citation]
I disagree on so many levels, but I guess I'll just state one:
I can fit an iPhone in my pocket, iPad... not so much.

I guess my real problem is I don't see why I would ever use an iPad. I might use it at home, but I have a desktop PC for that. I might use it at work, but at work I'm surrounded by computers. I might use it to watch a movie, but I have a TV for that. I might use it while traveling on vacation, but I'm usually driving, and after that I'm actually enjoying my vacation (unless you consider spending time with your gadgets a vacation).

In fact the ONLY place I can think I would ever use it is if I fly somewhere, and I haven't flown in about 8 years now, so it isn't worth the $500. However, I can see myself using an iPhone on a daily, if not hourly, basis. (In fact the only thing that is preventing me from getting an iPhone is AT&T.)

But I guess thats just how my life works. I'm sure in other people's lives they would have a use for the iPad all the time. But not me.

crabdog

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
It seems like every time I come to this site I'm bombarded with news and stories related to an Apple product. Maybe it's time to change the name to Tom's I-ware.

Yawn..... Not another Apple trinket aka iCrap. Who gives a rat's rear about these iPhones any way. They are mostly hype much like the iPad and only serve to disappoint once the customer realizes the strings that are attached and worse they can't back out. Think about the people lost their lives making these horrible things.

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I won't lie, looks like an incredible phone...But it really makes me wonder what they were thinking with the iPad. The latter looks like a joke in front of the former. the iPhone 4 has nearly as many pixels on a much smaller display for higher DPI (326!), it has the same processor (though clock speed unspecified) and most likely the same RAM, the iPad does not have a single camera while the iPhone has two, AT&T just eliminated unlimited data for the iPad, and of course the iPad is unsubsidized....Honestly, if they had the iPhone 4 coming down the pipeline, they should have beefed up the iPad more.

In any case, EVO 4G FTW!

applerocks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Mikeadelic[/nom]they're not trolling. they're making very reasonable about observations. yes, they sold 2 million of those things, but will they continue at the same pace? I don't think so. I had a slight iPad-envy. But now, I think I'll dive in for the iPhone 4. I need a new phone much more than I need a confused gadget that doesn't really know what market it should fit in. learn some business sense. Apple is cannibalizing one of its own products. At first, we all thought it'd be the iPod touch... but now, I think the iPad is really in danger because the new iPhone packs in MUCH more features (heck, it even has the same processing power).[/citation]

It doesnt matter if they sell any more. I would bet that 1) They have already made money selling iPads even if they never sell another. 2) They have made the tablet a hot button item all by themselves. 3) They have the rest of the tech industry rushing to copy them, or canceling their project now that they have seen how inferior what they where planning is in comparison. (HP slate anyone? Opps our OS sucks so bad we have to spend $1 billion to buy an OS from someone to try and compete)

I just dont see how you can call this anything but success.

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Even if you are not a nerd, and even if you don’t like Apple products for whatever pointless reason, you have to admit that the new iPhone 4 is the phone most of us would want

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Even if you are not a nerd, and even if you don’t like Apple products for whatever pointless reason, you have to admit that the new iPhone 4 is the phone most of us would want
Sorry but no.
Most apple products are outdated tech advertised to be the latest stuff and put in shiny cases. I'd take an HTC Desire over this any day of the week.

So it's pointless to dislike overpriced hardware and an incompatible OS?
Apparently severe restrictions are a pointless reason to not like something.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
If the iPhone 4 pushes other phone manufacturers to move beyond WVGA, GREAT! WVGA has been around since AT LEAST the Sony Ericsson X1. (That's the first wvga smart phone that I know of and I cba to find older ones.)

If another phone manufacturer now comes out with a 1024x576 screen, then the iPhone 4 is a resounding success in my books. (To be honest, I don't want an iPhone or its OS, I just want a mobile with a high-resolution screen that can view regular desktop versions of websites without any trouble. As a side dish, I would like some free GPS + maps, like the Nokia 5800. I could get a Nokia 5800 for only $250 now on Newegg, and then I'd have pretty much all I want from a phone, though I think I'll wait till WVGA Nokia phones come down to $300 or less.)

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]You can have your Iphone Editor, I'll take my Ipad over an Iphone 366 days a year. Other than theactual phone itself, there is nothing in an Iphone that is not in the Ipad that one can not live without. Ifyou already have a phone than an Ipad is a far better product to purchase than upgradeing to an iphone4. The screen size on the Ipad makes a world of difference when typeing emails and reading text messages and calling up google maps. Most of the people who write these articals haven't a clue as to what they are talking about when comparing products. I can tell that's esspecially true with this artical, because if he actually placed an Ipad in his hands and used it for more than 5 minutes he would probably never waist his time with a small iphone again. They have sold more Ipads in the first two months than they sold iphones in it's opening 60 days and the Iphone was hyped twice as long. Their not selling an Ipad every 3 seconds because people don't have anything better to spend their money on, their selling them like hotcakes because they are truely awsome. Until you actually try one for awhile don't bother talking about or writeing about something you know nothing about.[/citation]

So it's kind of like not posting a comment when you know nothing about spelling, for instance.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]applerocks[/nom]It doesnt matter if they sell any more. I would bet that 1) They have already made money selling iPads even if they never sell another. 2) They have made the tablet a hot button item all by themselves. 3) They have the rest of the tech industry rushing to copy them, or canceling their project now that they have seen how inferior what they where planning is in comparison. (HP slate anyone? Opps our OS sucks so bad we have to spend $1 billion to buy an OS from someone to try and compete)I just dont see how you can call this anything but success.[/citation]
Despite how much I hate your name, I think you are basically correct.
Apple did take something that wasn't very popular and made it HUGELY popular. The majority of the people on this site can see through the fluff, but the vast majority of the general public don't care about how overpriced the hardware is or how the OS it, they just want it to work... and Apple makes it work.

And I HIGHLY doubt HP spent billions of dollars just to buy the Palm OS to compete. It was a nice opportunity for HP, as buying Palm would allow them to enter the cell phone market in general. People with prior experience in the cell phone market (aka: palm employees) is probably more valuable to HP than any OS. And I'm sure the slate would of been fine with Windows.

Besides, if you want to get on HP's case for buying Palm just for their OS, then everyone else should get on Apple's case for spending a huge chunk on money on a semiconductor company just so they could make their own A4 chip.

coolcash1777

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Here an analogy I tell people when they ask "Why should I get X if I have Y already?"

Startrek:

The Communicator (iPhone): You use it outside your area to talk to people and communicate, send messages, etc.

The data pad (iPad): You use this to visually display information. The communicators screen is too small or non-existent. It allows you to share information with people next to you all without changing positions to a terminal, sitting down or standing up again.

The computer (laptop or desktop): This is where you get all your stuff done. You sit down and concentrate on your objectives. The most power you have is at your fingertips.

The iPad has its uses, netbooks have there's. Its just a natural progression of how we get our data. Even though some people might not be creative enough to find a use for an iPad, someone else does. Look at the applications available, you can do so much with no physical keyboard or mouse. To quote Rosie from the Jetsons, "There is a place for everything, and everything in its place."

Status
Not open for further replies.