Question IPS vs VA for movies, looks etc.?

Feb 15, 2023
Hi!

So im considering buying an 27" 2k monitor but im not sure about which panel should i choose.

So i also want it for gaming but i mean there is no much difference for gaming in IPS vs VA when both have same latency/refresh rate?

So second one is just looks for watching movies/make games look a bit better.
I heard IPS have better colors but VA better contrast, so many ppl choose VA for movies etc.

But if IPS have high contrast nowadays too or not?

Im especially considering this two:
1. MSI Optix G27CQ4DE

2.GIGABYTE M27Q

(or paying like 60$ more to get MSI Optix MAG272CQR, because it has 10bit color?, but is it worth?)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

IMHO, I've moved away from VA panels and towards IPS since I tend to do graphical work with as accurate as possible color representations. I also got used to viewing content on said IPS panel. My vote would be with an IPS.

IPS vs VA for movies, looks etc.?
Is your thread title, what does the etc denote?

Reactions: Nighthawk117
So i also want it for gaming but i mean there is no much difference for gaming in IPS vs VA when both have same latency/refresh rate?
Ignore the published response times, I would assume the IPS will be the faster panel as in the vast majority of cases that will be the case. The only advantage VA has is higher contrast, colour reproduction, response times and viewing angles are all better on the IPS. Response times and viewing angles being the most significant of those.

I would recommend RTINGS for monitor reviews and Hardware Unboxed youtube channel as they tend to be the most in depth. RTINGS have reviews of the monitors your querying:
MSI
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/msi/optix-g27cq4

Gigabyte
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/m27q

The results are pretty predictable given the panel technologies, the MSI has a high contrast ratio but a small amount of motion blur. The Gigabyte has a lower contrast ratio but faster response times with no motion blur and better viewing angles. I would also consider LG's Nano IPS range of monitors.

Contrast is probably the biggest weakness for IPS, while colours themselves are excellent, blacks tend to be dark grey. This isn't really obvious in a well lit room but will be noticeable if your watching a movie in the dark for example. I would say contrast has improved on IPS but it's still not as good as VA. However in my view the advantages of IPS still outweigh it's short comings.

Go to a local store if possible to see the difference with your own eyes.

I have an IPS panel as well but use it primarily for gaming. I love the vibrant colors but the blacks are not nearly as deep as VA. What I dont like about my IPS is the glow.

For movies I would prefer the VA over the IPS.

For gaming I prefer the IPS over a VA.

Reactions: Nighthawk117
Feb 15, 2023
Yes but also colors matter when watching something, and IPS have better colors, VA better contrast thats why i can't decide which one to choose to make watching a better experience.
You say IPS are better for gaming but why exactly? Its probably only microseconds faster when they both state having 1ms response. And isn't contrast important in gaming too?

Also i have seen the reviews on rtings and i dont like this much ghosting now i opt more for the gigabyte or perhaps the MSI Optix MAG272CQR or do you guys recommend any IPS and VA (not decided yet) for like 370$ max

Last edited:

Endre

Reputable
Hi!

So im considering buying an 27" 2k monitor but im not sure about which panel should i choose.

So second one is just looks for watching movies/make games look a bit better.
I heard IPS have better colors but VA better contrast, so many ppl choose VA for movies etc.

Im especially considering this two:
1. MSI Optix G27CQ4DE

2.GIGABYTE M27Q

(or paying like 60$ more to get MSI Optix MAG272CQR, because it has 10bit color?, but is it worth?)

Hello!

Generally, IPS panels deliver better visual quality, compared to VA ones.
IPS panels are also more expensive.

(I've bought a 27" 4K IPS monitor from ViewSonic, 2 years ago, and I am very pleased with it).

Feb 15, 2023
So i decided to go with IPS, now i wanted to go for GIGABYTE M27Q, BUT it has BGR not RGB and i can't find rev 2.0 in my region. So can you recommend pretty much same good monitor?
27" 2K that has ok reflection handling, high contrast, no/low ghosting and good colors? Just like the gigabyte m27q, price around the same can even pay more.

So i decided to go with IPS, now i wanted to go for GIGABYTE M27Q, BUT it has BGR not RGB and i can't find rev 2.0 in my region. So can you recommend pretty much same good monitor?
27" 2K that has ok reflection handling, high contrast, no/low ghosting and good colors? Just like the gigabyte m27q, price around the same can even pay more.
The LG UltraGear 27GN800-B is similar in price.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn800-b

It's weaknesses are the stand and contrast ratio. There's also the LG 27" 27GP850-B, this is an improvement on the LG above but is a little more expensive and I can't find it in stock anywhere right now. It would be at or near the top of my list if I was buying though. It's contrast is a little weaker than the Gigabyte but typical of most IPS panels.
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gp850-b

There's the HP OMEN 27i is also a pretty good monitor in a similar price bracket as well.