Question is 700watt 80+ gold enough?

tarek.ld94

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
hello guys quick question I am building a new pc and I need to know if the power supply is enough, I have seen on PCpartPicker that its enough but I just need expert reassurance that my already bought PSU is enough, thank you in advance.
PC (specs below)

-Motherboard: MSI b760 GAMING PLUS WIFI DDR5

-CPU: i5-14600KF

-GPU: MSI GAMING X TRIO RTX 3070

-RAM: G.SKILL TRIDENT Z5 2x16gb 6400MT CL32-39-39-102 1.40v

-Cooler: Deepcool LS720 SE WH 360MM

-Storage: MSI spatium m461 2TB gen4

-Case: NZXT H7 FLOW WHITE

-PSU: cooler master G700, 700WATT 80+ Gold.

Extra fans: 3 fans pack from cooler master MF120 Halo2 (squared) + controller hub.

Also the 3070 I am using is just for the next few months (from my old pc) and then I will switch to 4070 super that I read it draws less power which is good given I don't need to swap the PSU anyway.

hello guys quick question I am building a new pc and I need to know if the power supply is enough, I have seen on PCpartPicker that its enough but I just need expert reassurance that my already bought PSU is enough, thank you in advance.
PC (specs below)

Extra fans: 3 fans pack from cooler master MF120 Halo2 (squared) + controller hub.

Also the 3070 I am using is just for the next few months (from my old pc) and then I will switch to 4070 super that I read it draws less power which is good given I don't need to swap the PSU anyway.
There aren't any professional reviews available for the Cooler Master G700. Looking around it seems like it is a more budget version of the MWE Gold which itself isn't a good quality PSU. Therefore I wouldn't touch that PSU with a 10ft pole. In terms of wattage it is plenty but quality wise it should be switched for something better.

PSU: cooler master G700
the CM G700 is considered a mid-tier low priority unit.
should be okay for minimal gaming, but i would check it's warranty info for length and overall coverage before continuing to use it.
i would always be looking for something of higher quality though.
3070 I am using is just for the next few months...I will switch to 4070 super
for the RTX 3070 the majority of manufacturers have a recommended minimum of 650w,
though some state up to 750w. depends on the model.

the RTX 4070 Super the majority have a recommended minimum of 750w.

tarek.ld94

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
There aren't any professional reviews available for the Cooler Master G700. Looking around it seems like it is a more budget version of the MWE Gold which itself isn't a good quality PSU. Therefore I wouldn't touch that PSU with a 10ft pole. In terms of wattage it is plenty but quality wise it should be switched for something better.
oh well dang, I had no clue it is this bad... I've used Cooler master PSU before on a different build I had, it wasn't gold rated either but it worked just fine the whole time and the thing is, its only for gaming it wont be used for anything else. so basically this one is complete no ?

tarek.ld94

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
the CM G700 is considered a mid-tier low priority unit.
should be okay for minimal gaming, but i would check it's warranty info for length and overall coverage before continuing to use it.
i would always be looking for something of higher quality though.
I have used cooler master before in previous build wasn't even gold rated and it worked just fine...
has a 5 years warranty written on the box and yes its only for gaming, basically COD and some Not-so demanding games as well... do you think I should swap it and avoid it completely ??

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
I have used cooler master before in previous build wasn't even gold rated and it worked just fine...
has a 5 years warranty written on the box and yes its only for gaming, basically COD and some Not-so demanding games as well... do you think I should swap it and avoid it completely ??
5y warranty is not a lot. Good PSUs come with 7y or 10y warranty. It would have cost you probably another $30-40 to buy a better PSU.

What's done is done. Use it, but never longer than 5 years. Replace it when you get a new PC or this one gets old.

logainofhades

Titan
PC (specs below)

Do not buy a 14600k. It is not worth the $50ish price premium vs a 13600k, and you can get a 13700k for only $25 more.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/LfNxFT,Mm6p99,jXFmP6

PSU as others have mentioned, isn't great, but at least it isn't a fire starter.

tarek.ld94

Honorable
Dec 4, 2017
Do not buy a 14600k. It is not worth the $50ish price premium vs a 13600k, and you can get a 13700k for only $25 more.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/LfNxFT,Mm6p99,jXFmP6

PSU as others have mentioned, isn't great, but at least it isn't a fire starter.
The thing is most of the items I mentioned in specs are already bought, only thing left to start building is the Motherboard and the NVME. the rest are ready, although I can still swap the PSU I might just take everyone's consideration and switch to something like Seasonic or MSI.... my only issue when I bought the Coolermaster is that it was the only one available at 700watt and I need that amount for a reason... I cannot go for higher for electricity issues where I live and 700w is the sweet spot for now. I will definetely look for a better brand in the meantime, but I wanted to know just incase I decided to stay with the CM G700 it will not give me issues and that 700w is enough to power all these components!

I can still swap the PSU I might just take everyone's consideration and switch to something like Seasonic or MSI....I will definetely look for a better brand
the manufacturer isn't the big deal to worry about.
many of the biggest producers out there still offer very low quality units.

the specific model, regardless of who produces it, is what matters in terms of reliability.
it was the only one available at 700watt and I need that amount for a reason... I cannot go for higher for electricity issues where I live
this doesn't make any sense.

like what reason exactly?
and where did you acquire this information?

oh well dang, I had no clue it is this bad... I've used Cooler master PSU before on a different build I had, it wasn't gold rated either but it worked just fine the whole time and the thing is, its only for gaming it wont be used for anything else. so basically this one is complete no ?
A PSU like this saves money by using lower quality capacitors, sleeve bearing fans, less quality soldering work, etc... This results in lower quality (but still within spec) voltage regulation and higher ripple. On top of that the fan will usually have an aggressive curve so it will get quite noisy more quickly. All that said it isn't a fire starter as @logainofhades stated. There are some cheap PSUs out there that don't have any protections built in and claim to be 1000W for $20. This isn't one of those. More times than not PSUs like this are used by OEMs like CyberPower, iBuyPower, etc... to reduce the build of materials cost so they can get more profit on the system. We as enthusiasts try to steer people away from these lower quality PSUs because you can save money else where and get a much better PSU.

Reactions: 35below0
I cannot go for higher for electricity issues where I live and 700w is the sweet spot for now.
A PSU is nothing more than a converter of AC > DC. A 700W PSU just means that it can convert UP TO 700W DC but it will only use what is needed at that second. Say your system is running 100% across the board and that is a 500W draw and you have a 90% efficient (80+ Gold) PSU. Your PSU will supply the 500W needed and only draw 550W from the wall. You draw slightly more from the wall than is given to the system due to efficiency loss. In this case the PSU is 90% efficient so you lose 10% to heat. That is why the wall draw is 550W. Now say your system is idling and only drawing 15W. The PSU will provide 15W and draw 17W (or around that) from the wall.

only thing left to start building is the Motherboard and the NVME
I would consider getting a different NVMe drive. The MSI you mentioned is a QLC drive without any review on it. For around the same price you could probably get the WD Blue SN580 which is a decent entry level NVMe drive. Going a little more expensive you have the WD Black SN770 which is more like a lower cost enthuasist drive or about $10 more than that you have the WD Black SN850X a higher end enthuasist drive. There is also the Samsung 980 Pro that is a little more expensive than the 850X. Any of those drives will be better than the MSI Spatium M461.

The thing is most of the items I mentioned in specs are already bought, only thing left to start building is the Motherboard and the NVME. the rest are ready, although I can still swap the PSU I might just take everyone's consideration and switch to something like Seasonic or MSI.... my only issue when I bought the Coolermaster is that it was the only one available at 700watt and I need that amount for a reason... I cannot go for higher for electricity issues where I live and 700w is the sweet spot for now. I will definetely look for a better brand in the meantime, but I wanted to know just incase I decided to stay with the CM G700 it will not give me issues and that 700w is enough to power all these components!
You now know that the time to ask for advice is BEFORE you buy.
A power supply is a long term investment.
One way to assess the quality is to look at the warranty. 7 years buys you a good unit; 10/12 years is better.
It often does not cost much more go from a 650w psu to 750 or 850w.
The psu will only consume the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
A stronger psu will save you electricity costs(very minimal) by running in the more efficient middle third of it's range instead of full out.
As an example, the Seasonic focus GX-650 with a 10 year warranty costs $80:
https://www.newegg.com/seasonic-focus-plus-650-gold-ssr-650fx-650w/p/N82E16817151186
But the 750w unit is only $10 more and 850w is $15 more than that.
And... a i5-14600 is capable of running much more capable graphics cards in the future.
Plan for it.

Reactions: 35below0