[SOLVED] Is a 50GB Partition enough for Windows 10 Home ?

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
With a 500GB SSD the available space is about 465GB, I want to partition it and install W10 Home in a small partition (50 GB) and use the other partition to install programs and games, that way if I need to format I would just format the partition without losing the rest.

I will also move the documents and temp folder to the second partition, users folder including appdata too if possible, and the images, music and video folders to the HDD.

So, Is the 50GB space enough for Windows 10 Home+Updates or should I increase it to 60/70GB.
Btw, I always read the SSD needs about 20% of free space to work properly, does this apply to partitions too or the total drive size?

Solution
I know, I'm okay if I need to reinstall the aplications, I just don't want to have to backup games, saves and other files if I need to format, Wouldn't it work just for that?

I do exactly that, and it works great. And yes you can even move your appdata folders if you want. Some programs do need re-installing after a clean install of Windows, but not everything. Conveniently Steam is one of those things that doesn't need a reinstall.

50Gb will do but I keep 60 for my Windows partition to reduce the need for maintenance a bit.

le721

Reputable
Oct 29, 2019
It isn't going to work.

You cannot simply reinstall windows and expect all of your applications previously installed on a different partition to work properly.

I know, I'm okay if I need to reinstall the aplications, I just don't want to have to backup games, saves and other files if I need to format, Wouldn't it work just for that?

It will work and 50Gb is enough for it but you will have to do some maintenance once in a while because a lot of apps just plaster files onto your C drive no matter what you tell them.

The 20% is for the whole drive and most drives keep this amount unavailable to you anyway.

Reactions: le721
Oct 29, 2019

I do exactly that, and it works great. And yes you can even move your appdata folders if you want. Some programs do need re-installing after a clean install of Windows, but not everything. Conveniently Steam is one of those things that doesn't need a reinstall.

50Gb will do but I keep 60 for my Windows partition to reduce the need for maintenance a bit.

Reactions: le721
Solution

TRENDING THREADS