Question Is Frame Generation on a Fermi GPU possible?

Budgeteer_262

Reputable
Jan 13, 2021
I have a GTX 590 and I am overvolting and overclocking it so both cores run similar to a GTX 580. We're looking at a 31% clock increase on both cores and a 22% increase on memory frequency. Temperatures? No comment

This isn't about a daily setup, its more for fun to see how far I can push my Fermi2.0 GPUs. I will be testing in shadow of the tomb raider which supports dual GPUs.

I would like to use FSR 3.1 frame generation in the game so I can configure settings for about 40FPS and then boost up to maybe 70FPS to make the 60hz experience nice.

Again, just a nostalgic last hurrah to realize all the FSR memes :)

Anyone know if I can get frame generation on my GTX 590?

Thanks

Budgeteer_262

Reputable
Jan 13, 2021
Yup, gonna try with mods when I have time to set things up. This post is here to gage if anyone else has done anything similar and if there are any additional steps I should be taking to save time with potential problems I might face

Joseph_138

Distinguished
It's doubtful that it will work on Fermi. There was a guy on Reddit who posted a video of himself using DLSS 3 framgen on an RTX 2070, and it was really, really bad. Fermi doesn't even have RT and Tensor cores, so it's doubtful that framegen will work, since it requires the card to be capable of machine learning. Even AMD recommends RTX 20 as the minimum for FSR 3.