Question Is FRC bad for eyes or causes eye strain?

Mar 31, 2022
I am planning to buy a budget IPS monitor. I read some old posts on Reddit and various sites where users were discussing that an FRC based 8 bit panel like 6 bit + FRC may cause eye strain.

And they say native/true 8 bit panel would be better than 6 bit + FRC = 8 bit panel. (In terms of eye strain).

Is there any truth in it? I can't find any true 8 bit panel in my budget. Also manufacturers don't mention specifically whether it is true 8 bit or FRC. Super confused. Maybe overthinking.

There might be some truth to it, but I've seen people complain about eye strain or headaches with a multitude of other things.

I think biggest issue is simply the environmental lighting source and how sensitive you are to flickering. If you're using pulse-based lighting such as a fluorescent type light (like a CCFL) or an older style LED light, then you might experience eye strain when the content on screen doesn't quite line up with the flickering rate.

For me I notice I get headaches after watching a movie in a theater, but I have no problems watching a movie at home. So it isn't the frame rate (like I've heard some people claim it is), but because theater projectors still use PWM based lighting.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS