[SOLVED] Is freesync working with nvidia GPUs?

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Hello everyone. I read somewhere that some freesync monitors can work like gsync with nvidia GPUs. Is that true. If yes can you tell me which monitors work like that? I have a gtx 1070 btw. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Some of them do yes. There are tons of monitors.. if you could be more specific with what you are looking for; ie. 1080p/144Hz or 1440p/144Hz, etc.

*Edit: If you click the PCPartPicker link in my sig and scroll down, you will see an AOC 1920 x 1080p 144Hz monitor and it works great with Nvidia GPUs. It shows up as G-Sync compatible in Nvidia Control Panel and you simply enable the adaptive sync settings in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Also, there is an official list of G-SYNC compatible monitors; but there are still some monitors not on that list that will work, and others that will not work. My 4K FreeSync monitor does not work with Nvidia adaptive sync.

Some of them do yes. There are tons of monitors.. if you could be more specific with what you are looking for; ie. 1080p/144Hz or 1440p/144Hz, etc.

*Edit: If you click the PCPartPicker link in my sig and scroll down, you will see an AOC 1920 x 1080p 144Hz monitor and it works great with Nvidia GPUs. It shows up as G-Sync compatible in Nvidia Control Panel and you simply enable the adaptive sync settings in the Nvidia Control Panel.

Also, there is an official list of G-SYNC compatible monitors; but there are still some monitors not on that list that will work, and others that will not work. My 4K FreeSync monitor does not work with Nvidia adaptive sync.

Solution

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016

Is adaptive sync the same as gsync. I will be playing at 1080p 144hz. Will I experience any difference with a gsync monitor?

Is adaptive sync the same as gsync. I will be playing at 1080p 144hz. Will I experience any difference with a gsync monitor?
Adaptive sync is the generic term for what both FreeSync and G-Sync are meant to accomplish. G-Sync uses a dedicated chip in the monitor to control the adaptive sync, while FreeSync utilizes the GPU driver. Now, Nvidia has allowed their drivers to do the same thing. I don't think you will notice any difference. It doesn't make much sense to buy a G-Sync monitor now that Nvidia GPUs work with FreeSync. Just stay away from really cheap FreeSync monitors like the 4K monitor in my build list. That monitor's (adaptive sync) doesn't work with Nvidia GPUs and it barely works with AMD GPUs.

ProPlayerGR

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2016
Adaptive sync is the generic term for what both FreeSync and G-Sync are meant to accomplish. Νομίζω
Adaptive sync is the generic term for what both FreeSync and G-Sync are meant to accomplish. G-Sync uses a dedicated chip in the monitor to control the adaptive sync, while FreeSync utilizes the GPU driver. Now, Nvidia has allowed their drivers to do the same thing. I don't think you will notice any difference. It doesn't make much sense to buy a G-Sync monitor now that Nvidia GPUs work with FreeSync. Just stay away from really cheap FreeSync monitors like the 4K monitor in my build list. That monitor's (adaptive sync) doesn't work with Nvidia GPUs and it barely works with AMD GPUs.

G-Sync uses a dedicated chip in the monitor to control the adaptive sync, while FreeSync utilizes the GPU driver. Now, Nvidia has allowed their drivers to do the same thing. I don't think you will notice any difference. It doesn't make much sense to buy a G-Sync monitor now that Nvidia GPUs work with FreeSync. Just stay away from really cheap FreeSync monitors like the 4K monitor in my build list. That monitor's (adaptive sync) doesn't work with Nvidia GPUs and it barely works with AMD GPUs.
If I buy one of the monitors that are listed on nvidia's website I will be fine, right?