[SOLVED] Is i3 2120 3.3Ghz are bottleneck 1660 super?

(FA)

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
My Spec:
i3 2120 3.3Ghz
4Gb Ram
No GPU, but im planning to buy 1660 super
Mobo Intel H61 still don't know wich series

I usually play single player open world games, does it even bottleneck when i use 1660 with i3 2120 as cpu?. Cause i only have 2 option first buy gpu and new monitor second buy gpu and cpu.

And yeah thats an old pc

Solution
Nope, but maybe i can change my windows 7 32bit to Windows 10 if its working and mine already activate the key so it work right?
This would be a three step process.
An inplace Upgrade to Win 10 32bit.
Then, a full wipe and reinstall to Win 10 64bit.
Then you add RAM/GPU/PSU

kanewolf

Titan
My Spec:
i3 2120 3.3Ghz
4Gb Ram
No GPU, but im planning to buy 1660 super
Mobo Intel H61 still don't know wich series

I usually play single player open world games, does it even bottleneck when i use 1660 with i3 2120 as cpu?. Cause i only have 2 option first buy gpu and new monitor second buy gpu and cpu.

And yeah thats an old pc
A 2nd generation i3 with 4GB RAM has lots of bottlenecks. Number of threads, and amount of RAM are both bottlenecks.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Yes the Core i3 2120 will limit what any of those GPU can deliver, heck even less powerfull GPUs will be limited by that CPU.

My old Core i5 3570 limited my GTX 1060 6GB.

Also your RAM will limit your game performance, I do not know exactly which open world games are you going to play, but unless those games are really old you should really consider 2x4GB of RAM

And before even considering buying a new GPU you have to wonder: What kind of PSU do I have?, Does it have enough power to handle any of those GPUs? Does it even have the right PCIe power cable I would need?

Then again not knowing your PSU and the games you play its really hard for me to write much more.

Reactions: SamirD
(FA) What is your upgrade budget? Are you located in the US? If not then where? Does your motherboard have two or four RAM sockets? What resolution is your monitor? Please name the specific games that you want to play.

cpu: An i5-3570 (~$30 USD used) /
ram: 16GB ($65 - $80 new) /
gpu: GTX 1050 Ti ($115 used) OR GTX 1650 Super ($170 new)

The configuration above might be a much higher performing combination than buying a $240 GTX 1660 Super alone.

** addendum **

In order to provide you with a more complete answer, it would be helpful if you did the following:

(1) Download / Run & Screenshot the Speccy summary page:
https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/download/standard
* This will allow us to see the exact components installed in your computer.

(2) Take a single photo of the inside of your computer build, and take another photo of the label on the side of your power supply. The first photo will give an idea of the air flow of the case, and the second photo will let us know which graphics cards are compatible with your existing power supply.

Upload the Speccy summary screen (Alt + Print Screen button to take screen shot) and also upload the two photos to Imgur and then share the link here.

Last edited:

(FA)

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Yes the Core i3 2120 will limit what any of those GPU can deliver, heck even less powerfull GPUs will be limited by that CPU.

My old Core i5 3570 limited my GTX 1060 6GB.

Also your RAM will limit your game performance, I do not know exactly which open world games are you going to play, but unless those games are really old you should really consider 2x4GB of RAM

And before even considering buying a new GPU you have to wonder: What kind of PSU do I have?, Does it have enough power to handle any of those GPUs? Does it even have the right PCIe power cable I would need?

Then again not knowing your PSU and the games you play its really hard for me to write much more.
PSU 450watt
The game i want to play is need for speed rival

(FA)

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
Brand and model of this 450 watts PSU? Not all 450 watts PSU units are build the same.
pnQEdYbbj

Here's my actual psu, sorry for the mistake

(FA)

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
(FA) What is your upgrade budget? Are you located in the US? If not then where? Does your motherboard have two or four RAM sockets? What resolution is your monitor? Please name the specific games that you want to play.

The configuration above might be a much higher performing combination than buying a $240 GTX 1660 Super alone.

** addendum **

In order to provide you with a more complete answer, it would be helpful if you did the following:

(2) Take a single photo of the inside of your computer build, and take another photo of the label on the side of your power supply. The first photo will give an idea of the air flow of the case, and the second photo will let us know which graphics cards are compatible with your existing power supply.

Upload the Speccy summary screen (Alt + Print Screen button to take screen shot) and also upload the two photos to Imgur and then share the link here.
Here's the speecy result:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m3yl2VpOX9ZYgC5-cCeoOJimAoXF8hmA/view?usp=sharing

pme5d5izj

(FA)

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020

** addendum **

I live in Indonesia and my upgrade budget is Rp.3 mill if i convert it into dollar its $204, 2 ram socket and 1024x768 Resolution

hsa6wqL.jpg

I've generated this imgur link to make it easier for others to see.

Disregard my earlier suggestion about the RAM upgrade for now. Since you're running Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit), your system is limited to addressing 4GB of memory. A legitimate Windows 10 Professional OEM license would cost ~$14 USD.

Which websites would you consider purchasing new or used items from? I live in New York, and I normally use Amazon / NewEgg for new items and Ebay for used. I believe that a used 750 Ti or 1050 Ti, plus upgrading you to at least 8GB of DDR3 RAM would be beneficial.

(FA)

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
I was planning to buy the GPU first then I will buy the rest in the future.
Cause i just need a small upgrade so it can run smoothly when playing old games and i don't think ill be using high settings anyway.

(FA)

Commendable
Oct 19, 2020
hsa6wqL.jpg

I've generated this imgur link to make it easier for others to see.

Disregard my earlier suggestion about the RAM upgrade for now. Since you're running Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit), your system is limited to addressing 4GB of memory. A legitimate Windows 10 Professional OEM license would cost ~$14 USD.

Which websites would you consider purchasing new or used items from? I live in New York, and I normally use Amazon / NewEgg for new items and Ebay for used. I believe that a used 750 Ti or 1050 Ti, plus upgrading you to at least 8GB of DDR3 RAM would be beneficial.
So basically i just need to upgrade my psu, ram, and windows?

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah and i have been planning to change it too since most of the game and software i use was designed to run at 64bit but before that i need to backup all my files
You always need a backup, no matter what you're doing. Failure can happen at any moment. Always operate on the concept that your data is no more than 0.25 secs away from being gone.

Reactions: RodroX