[SOLVED] Is Intel core i7-9800X going to bottleneck a GTX 1080?

Dec 27, 2019
Well, I'm thinking of getting an Intel Core i7-9800X and I was wondering if this thing is going to cause my Inno 3d iChill x4 1080 to bottleneck.
I have a funny feeling about this.

Solution
There is no such thing as "bottlenecking"
If, by that, you mean that upgrading a cpu or graphics card can
somehow lower your performance or FPS.
A better term might be limiting factor.
That is where adding more cpu or gpu becomes increasingly
less effective.

You might describe fully, what you have now and what you are thinking of buying?
As to bottlenecking a GTX1080 I seriously doubt it.
I think the gpu will be your limiting factor, not the cpu.
Dec 27, 2019
I believe one of the 8-pin connectors splits in half for a 4-pin.
Sorry for the late reply, I just checked it now and yes the 8pin connector does split in half to allow a 4pin but wouldn't that mean that the 8pin connection on the motherboard can't be supplied because the only cable that supports 8pin is now being used as a 4pin? There are 3 ATX connections on the motherboard and I think that there can only be 2 ATX connections at a time with my current PSU, either 24pin and 8pin or 24pin and 4pin. At least that's how I understand the situation, I may be wrong.

Dec 29, 2019
I have this cpu and a board with both 8pin and 4pin and you can actually use the 8pin as a minimum requirement. This allows about 300W being drawn from the PSU.
The 4 pin is needed as an extra in case you feel your VRMs are pushing more current to allow bigger OCs.
Although, x299 platform has been launched too soon and most VRMs have bad temperatures and with a cpu like i7 9800x you can easily draw too much current from your PSU cables creating a possible future problem of melting your wires in long high load usages like 3D rendering with cpu or even video rendering. In such cases, it would be nice for you to add the 4 pin to balance the load between both 12v EPS. I'd advise you to as a safety measure and future proof one.
Also, the Rm750i/x has one 4+4 EPS (could be consolidated into an 8pin)but in case you have only one gpu, you can use one of the 3 inputs your PSU has (6+2pin or 4+4pin) and buy another cable for 4$ (https://www.ebay.ie/itm/293007293366)

Keep in mind that in that case you will use all the 3 PCIe inputs - 1 for the GPU 6+2 pin; 1 for CPU 8pin; 1 for CPU 4pin

In case you have two GPUs I'd invest in a RM1000x as I have, it already has two 4+4 12v EPS cables.

Hope I have somehow solved your problem 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Heck'nWHAT!?
less effective.

You might describe fully, what you have now and what you are thinking of buying?

Reactions: Heck'nWHAT!?
Solution
Dec 27, 2019
I have this cpu and a board with both 8pin and 4pin and you can actually use the 8pin as a minimum requirement. This allows about 300W being drawn from the PSU.
The 4 pin is needed as an extra in case you feel your VRMs are pushing more current to allow bigger OCs.
Although, x299 platform has been launched too soon and most VRMs have bad temperatures and with a cpu like i7 9800x you can easily draw too much current from your PSU cables creating a possible future problem of melting your wires in long high load usages like 3D rendering with cpu or even video rendering. In such cases, it would be nice for you to add the 4 pin to balance the load between both 12v EPS. I'd advise you to as a safety measure and future proof one.
Also, the Rm750i/x has one 4+4 EPS (could be consolidated into an 8pin)but in case you have only one gpu, you can use one of the 3 inputs your PSU has (6+2pin or 4+4pin) and buy another cable for 4$ (https://www.ebay.ie/itm/293007293366)

Keep in mind that in that case you will use all the 3 PCIe inputs - 1 for the GPU 6+2 pin; 1 for CPU 8pin; 1 for CPU 4pin

In case you have two GPUs I'd invest in a RM1000x as I have, it already has two 4+4 12v EPS cables.

Hope I have somehow solved your problem 😉
Thank you so much for this reply I understand the situation a lot better now! :) I do have only one GPU so I'll stick to your advice and buy another CPU cable to support both the 8pin and 4pin connections on the motherboard from the PCIe and CPU input from the PSU and use the PCIe cable for the 8+6pin GPU from the last PCIe input on the PSU. HECK, it's so confusion far out. I appreciate your time and I have learned new things.

Reactions: JoaoFael
Dec 27, 2019
Just buy another one and plug it to one of the 3 PCIe/CPU connectors.
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/293007293366
less effective.

Ah thanks, I understand what you mean. I honestly was just wondering if my GTX1080 was going to encounter any performance drops due to a faster CPU it has to work with and that maybe the CPU would have to wait for the GPU to catch up during its processing. I'm not very bright with this sort of topic so I thought to ask.