Is Intel Graphics Controller support dual monitor?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

In my favorite computer,I have Intel(R)82845G/GL Graphics
Controller,Video BIOS Version 2759,will it support dual monitor?
Do both individual VGAs have to support dual monitor?
----
INTEL(R) GRAPHICS REPORT

Report Date: 08,08,2005
Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 21:59:50
Driver Version: 6.13.01.3119
Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Default Language: English
DirectX* Version: 8.1
Physical Memory: 125 MB
Processor: x86
Processor Speed: 1800 MHZ
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x2562
Device Revision: 1

* Output Devices Connected to Graphics Accelerator *

Active Monitors:1

I have inserted REALITY 334 SGARAM 4MB PCI (S3 ViRGE GX2) into another
slot(#2),but its not working either in safe mode or by disabling
original Intel Graphics Controller.Windows failed to installed it's
drive by any means.Only monitor attached to Intel GC is working.How can

I activate other card,to show both monitors working same time.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

Hmmm, well according to this, Windows XP should have a built in driver
for the S3 ViRGE GX2, unless it is a GX2+:
http://www.s3graphics.com/legacy.jsp

One possibility is that your old graphics card is too old to allow it to
be used in a dual graphics card configuration. Typically, what happens
in this case is that each graphics adapter has its VGA BIOS. If there
is more than one graphics adapter, at least one of the VGA BIOSes must
be able to move itself to another address. Some older cards cannot do
this. Just about any PCI graphics card on the market today can do this,
however.

Something you may try is to go into your motherboard's BIOS and look for
a setting like "Primary Display", "Primary VGA", etc. The settings are
typically something like "AGP/Onboard" and "PCI". Try setting to "PCI".
This will make the ViRGE card your new primary VGA, and maybe the
onboard Intel graphics will work its way around the ViRGE.

Note that when you make the ViRGE your primary, all your BIOS screens
will go through that card. When you get to Windows, the display may
suddenly turn off. If this happens, move your monitor cable back and
forth between the two graphics adapters. Windows XP has its own ideas
about what is "primary".

If this does not work, then the problem is probably that the old
graphics card cannot handle this configuration. You will need to get a
newer PCI card. I know for a fact that the integrated Intel graphics
can be used in a dual monitor setup. I am typing in one right now. ;)

Hope this helps.

--Alex

Thaqalain wrote:
> In my favorite computer,I have Intel(R)82845G/GL Graphics
> Controller,Video BIOS Version 2759,will it support dual monitor?
> Do both individual VGAs have to support dual monitor?
> ----
> INTEL(R) GRAPHICS REPORT
>

> Report Date: 08,08,2005
> Report Time[hr:mm:ss]: 21:59:50
> Driver Version: 6.13.01.3119
> Operating System: Windows NT* 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
> Default Language: English
> DirectX* Version: 8.1
> Physical Memory: 125 MB
> Processor: x86
> Processor Speed: 1800 MHZ
> Vendor ID: 0x8086
> Device ID: 0x2562
> Device Revision: 1
>

> * Output Devices Connected to Graphics Accelerator *
>

> Active Monitors:1
>

> I have inserted REALITY 334 SGARAM 4MB PCI (S3 ViRGE GX2) into another
> slot(#2),but its not working either in safe mode or by disabling
> original Intel Graphics Controller.Windows failed to installed it's
> drive by any means.Only monitor attached to Intel GC is working.How can
>

> I activate other card,to show both monitors working same time.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

How can I go into my motherboard's BIOS and will there be chance to
restore to original settings if it failed to support dual monitor?

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.fic (More info?)

To go into the BIOS, there is usually some key you have to hit an the
initial bootup screen, before it starts loading Windows. Usually, it is
something like F1, F2, F10, or Del. It depends on the computer. If you
see a message that says "Press <something> to enter SETUP", that is what
you are looking for.

Once you are in there, you usually navigate with the arrow keys and make
changes with the PageUp/PageDown keys, or hitting ENTER and then
changing the value. It varies, but the directions are usually on the
screen.

If your setup fails to support dual monitors (with this particular
configuration), it is simple enough to recover. Just pull the PCI
graphics card out. The setting I am talking about is just the order to
initialize graphics cards (onboard first, then PCI...? PCI first, then
onboard...?). If you tell it to search for the PCI graphics card first,
but it is not installed, then it will just move on to the onboard
graphics. No harm done.