Question Is It A Bad Idea To Unlock CPU Power Limits Using The Stock Cooler?

AtomikDjakareh_32G

Prominent
Aug 25, 2022
By now I know this MSI B560M-A PRO mobo is power limit throttling my processor, which is expected because I'm currently using Intel's stock cooler...
This PL throttling is hindering the CPU's performance... I know the 11400 can be a lot faster than it already is.

If I were to go into the UEFI and unlocked said power limits while using the stock boxed cooler, would I risk frying the mobo and/or its VRMs, or even the CPU itself?

With the stock cooler, the maximum TDP it reaches under heavy load is circa 130W for a few seconds, before PL1 kicks in and brings it back to 65W.

And what cooler do I need to allow the processor to deliver all of its performance?

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Almost any name brand tower cooler is going to perform better than the stock cooler. According to your market, something like Hyper 212, Snowman, Mugen...the list goes on.

I am not familiar enough with unlocking or overclocking featues available within a B shipset to make any recommends there.
I am using that exact same motherboard with an 11600K on a Noctua 92mm tower cooler and see very similar performance on stock settings as I was experiencing with the Z590i I was using it with previously. I was somewhat surprised to see it actually boost a slight bit higher for short stints on the 'lesser' motherboard. I picked it up as it was the cheapest option available to build with leftover parts I had on hand and it's performance has pleasantly surprised me.

If I were to go into the UEFI and unlocked said power limits while using the stock boxed cooler, would I risk frying the mobo and/or its VRMs, or even the CPU itself?
No risk, the CPU automatically clocks down when at 100 degrees and also a locked CPU will not be able to draw more power than the 130W PL2, and no matter how bad the mobo it should be capable of running 130W indefinitely.

By now I know this MSI B560M-A PRO mobo is power limit throttling my processor, which is expected because I'm currently using Intel's stock cooler...
This PL throttling is hindering the CPU's performance... I know the 11400 can be a lot faster than it already is.

With the stock cooler, the maximum TDP it reaches under heavy load is circa 130W for a few seconds, before PL1 kicks in and brings it back to 65W.

And what cooler do I need to allow the processor to deliver all of its performance?
As long as the cpu stays within safe temp levels your good.

You might find the stock cooler gets quite noisy as temps rise.