[SOLVED] Is it normal that my PSU makes an electrical buzzing sound sometimes?

Dec 3, 2021
I just bought a new PC a few days ago.
Sometimes my PSU makes an electrical buzzing sound. It's very low. I can only hear it when I make close attention to it and within 30cm of the PC. It happens once or twice a day and goes away automatically.
So, should I worry about it? If this is something serious, what should I do to fix it?
I have a 1200VA UPS. Also, I don't have an earthing system in the house where I live. So, I attached one end of a copper wire to a screw of the PC Casing and another end to a screw that is directly in the wall.

My PC Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro
Processor: Core i7-10700K (with NZXT Kraken CPU cooler)
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 250 GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB
Graphics Card: Waiting to restock 😥 in my country.
PSU: Gigabyte P650B

Solution
Coil whine is more likely to occur with a GPU versus a PSU.

Do try to pinpoint the source location -especially if the buzz occurs between 5 - 6 P.M. Take a look at everything running during that time span.

Could be some update, a scheduled backup, maybe an AV scan.

Task Manager and Task Scheduler may help identify any software that is timed to launch and run in that time frame.

Use a rolled up sheet of paper or cardboard tube to carefully "focus" your ear towards potential locations.

A buzz could be resonance of some source.

With the system powered off and unplugged check for loose screws. Tighten if and as necessary - snug but do not overtighten

Look in fans for debris or possible wires and cables being pulled into contact...

Jlg823

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2013
I was going to originally say it could be coil whine but normally (in my experience) it's consistent, especially if there's a load on the system or something.. The PSU doesn't look particularly bad, it's rate C Tier on the PSU list which means it's meant for cheap mid/low end systems and personally I wouldn't consider the 10700k "cheap mid" but I'd like to ask when it happens once or twice a day is there anything particular happening? Could you try running a stress test/benchmark and see if the sound appears? If it worry's you a lot, I know it's annoying, but since it's new I'm guessing everything is under warranty and you could probably get the PSU replaced.

Dec 3, 2021
I was going to originally say it could be coil whine but normally (in my experience) it's consistent, especially if there's a load on the system or something.. The PSU doesn't look particularly bad, it's rate C Tier on the PSU list which means it's meant for cheap mid/low end systems and personally I wouldn't consider the 10700k "cheap mid" but I'd like to ask when it happens once or twice a day is there anything particular happening? Could you try running a stress test/benchmark and see if the sound appears? If it worry's you a lot, I know it's annoying, but since it's new I'm guessing everything is under warranty and you could probably get the PSU replaced.

I just did a stress test and I couldn't hear any buzz noises. I heard buzz noises for one hour from 5 PM - 6 PM. But after then I didn't hear any noises.
Someone just told me that it's gonna happen with this low-end PSU and recommended to upgrade it when I buy a graphics card.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"So, I attached one end of a copper wire to a screw of the PC Casing and another end to a screw that is directly in the wall. "

That may not be doing anything at all and may possibly put you and your system at risk for an electrical shock.

Get a qualified electrician to help properly earth your electrical system.

Reactions: Abdur Rahaman
Dec 3, 2021
This:

"So, I attached one end of a copper wire to a screw of the PC Casing and another end to a screw that is directly in the wall. "

That may not be doing anything at all and may possibly put you and your system at risk for an electrical shock.

Get a qualified electrician to help properly earth your electrical system.
Fixed the earthing problem today. But still, I hear the buzzing noises sometimes. Someone told me that it's coil whine and nothing to worry about.

Ralston18

Titan
Coil whine is more likely to occur with a GPU versus a PSU.

Do try to pinpoint the source location -especially if the buzz occurs between 5 - 6 P.M. Take a look at everything running during that time span.

Could be some update, a scheduled backup, maybe an AV scan.

Task Manager and Task Scheduler may help identify any software that is timed to launch and run in that time frame.

Use a rolled up sheet of paper or cardboard tube to carefully "focus" your ear towards potential locations.

A buzz could be resonance of some source.

With the system powered off and unplugged check for loose screws. Tighten if and as necessary - snug but do not overtighten

Look in fans for debris or possible wires and cables being pulled into contact with the blades. Or even the blades coming into contact with the fan case.

Could certainly be that some software starts running, increases the system's power demands, and then the buzz occurs.

Reactions: Abdur Rahaman
Solution

TRENDING THREADS