Question Is it ok blowing compressed air at my laptop's fan and intakes to remove dust?

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Hello! My laptop is HP Pavilion Notebook 15 p250nu. I have been using the laptop since like 2015-16 and never cleaned it up on the inside except a few months ago I had to swap the HDD with an SSD and then I also didn't really clean it much except blowing a bit of air at it. I don't really want to open it up at all and I watched a video (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd_vpKuBV74
) in which you'll see what the guy does so I was thinking is it a good idea to do that so I can get a bit lower temps cause I know it's not good the laptop to have temps of like 85 C* half the time. Thanks to everyone who helps!

That may get some dust-out, but it also may force some of the dust deeper in the laptop, which is a bad thing. You WILL have to disassemble the laptop and potentially remove the fan in order to properly dust the laptop.
Are you experiencing any overheating?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i can show you a video of a guy driving on the highway with his car in 2nd gear. it's moving down the road, but that does not mean it's a good idea.

2nd issue other than simply blowing dust back into the case is that the forced air can and will spin the fan faster than it is intended to go. this can damage the fan by breaking blades, burning out the bearings and so on.

you are much better off taking it apart and giving it a proper cleaning if you are concerned with it being dusty inside

CraigsCraig

Prominent
Mar 24, 2019
Thank you all for the helpful answers.
Are you experiencing any overheating?
No, not really. At least Intel XTU doesn't show thermal throttling while playing Fortnite for example. I will just wait till the summer so then I have a working desktop (if you want you can give me some tips for building a desktop PC between 1000 and 1500$ including monitor) and open it up and clean it.
EDIT: I just saw your next 2 replies. I already opened this once so it should be fine. Thanks for the help once again!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
not the most fun but taking a laptop apart to clean it up every now and then is just good policy. i was deployed to most of the deserts on the planet and every time i spent crazy time taking apart and cleaning the sand out of the laptops we used. sucked but had to be done to keep em running right.

we used to have cleaning parties for laptops as we sat and watched the ever awesome AFN channel.