[SOLVED] Is it perfectly fine to by 2x8Gb sticks twice (32GB) for Gaming?

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
I'm looking to buy 32gb of ram for a gaming setup, not sure if I should buy 4x8gb for slightly more money or can I just buy two sets 2x8gb for cheaper? Apparently some identical kits of 2x8 can come in either dual or single rank. Will I be losing on performance if I buy two identical kits? Looking at high refresh rate games, so trying to push the limit. Thank you!

Solution
Is aesthetics more important than performance for you?

With 4 modules - expect lower ram speeds available. For example you buy 3600mhz kit, you may have to reduce frequency for stability reasons.
With 2 different kits - expect ram compatibility issues.

2x16GB kit is the best option here.

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
2x16GB is better than 4x8GB on dual channel motherboard.

With 2 different kits you may run into compatibility issues.

It's a premium b550 board I have, (Asus Strix B550-a Gaming), I just wanted to populate all the ram slots for Aesthetics, I'm hoping to get Corsair vengeance RGB, I'm guessing it's not garaunteed is I get two identical 2x8gb sets even with these specs?

With 4 modules - expect lower ram speeds available. For example you buy 3600mhz kit, you may have to reduce frequency for stability reasons.

Solution

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016

Okay, something to consider, thanks for the responses!

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016

Hi, sorry to bother you again, was looking at this video that i'll link at the bottom, where a guy bought two 32gb kits and combined them (i'd be looking at 2x8 obviously) these kits use samsung b-die, this guy didn't report any problems, I can't say if he had them long term to experience any, but was that down to sheer luck on his part, or the quality of the ram to get away with two packs of separate kits, if not I'll get corsairs dummy modules.

Video reference:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spq0kP5waSo

Thanks again