[SOLVED] is it possible for a PSU to receive too little load?

venetskiiviko12

Reputable
Jul 6, 2018
recently built up a PC I'm still planning to upgrade, GTX650, i5-4590s, 4GB DDR3. according to many websites this rig needs like a 250w power supply to run but before properly checking it, I bought a 500w PSU from a local store. long story short the PC doesn't turn on, when everything is wired up and I press the power on button, all fans start up for like half a second and then instantly stop, nothing else, although it works just fine with a 420w PSU from my old PC. is it possible than the load on the 500w PSU is too little for it to function? I'm sure it's not a connection problem, I've checked on them and re-wired everything many times, it still doesn't work.

Solution
What PSU did you buy ? If you're sure that you've wired everything correctly then most likely it's just dead. There's no such thing as 'not enough load' for PSU to turn on, if there's PS-ON signal then the PSU is online no matter what. You can try to check it by shorting green and any black wires on the main ATX 20+4-pin cable, it should turn on and the fan should spin (if it doesn't have semi-passive mode but by the looks of it you've bought some cheap-ass stuff which wouldn't have it).

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
What PSU did you buy ? If you're sure that you've wired everything correctly then most likely it's just dead. There's no such thing as 'not enough load' for PSU to turn on, if there's PS-ON signal then the PSU is online no matter what. You can try to check it by shorting green and any black wires on the main ATX 20+4-pin cable, it should turn on and the fan should spin (if it doesn't have semi-passive mode but by the looks of it you've bought some cheap-ass stuff which wouldn't have it).

Solution