Question Is it possible to connect a Mac Mini to a 2nd monitor on another floor?

Oct 7, 2020
I've got this Mac Mini and I would love to use it for my TV downstairs... and transmit the signal to my office as well. Can this be done via an ethernet-connection and if so how? I mean, can I transmit video signals + USB keyboard and mouse via ethernet? With kind regards from Scandinavia.

It depends on what you mean by "ethernet". There are 2 kinds of fairly common HDMI extenders. The first and somewhat cheaper (these device are kinda expensive) uses the same physical cable as ethernet but is using a different method to send data over the cable. It is incompatible with your data cables and is pretty much a wire from point a to point b. The other type attempts to run HDMI over IP. The ones that I have seen that they say actually work are over $500.

In either case I suspect the vendors of these products are telling some kind of lies when they claim stuff like 4k at 60hz. These type of signals already cause issues for longer HDMI cables and you have to already have HDMI 2.1 ports. The bandwidth is massive since it is uncompressed. Things like 4k at 60hz need 18Gbps.
Not sure what kind of "ethernet" cable they think they can pass that much data over when you consider even cat6a cable can only do 10Gbits. I strongly suspect they are compressing the data which will cause loss of image quality and likely add small delays. Now maybe there is a magic box but I would read all the fine print.

The thing you see more common for long HDMI cables is they use fiber. Never looked into how these work but it would be a new cable run.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Which Mac Mini?

The right thunderbolt dock coupled with an optical thunderbolt cable might do the trick over even pretty long distances. Since you are just using for media in the second location latency issues aren't that critical.