[SOLVED] Is it possible to test if a cpu is dead without a working computer ?

Nov 2, 2022
i have lots of cpus which im trying to sell but im not sure if they work, i dont have any available computers that are compitable with the cpus is there any way to test these cpus?

Reactions: liam333

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What processors do you have at hand? You will need a motherboard, a single stick of ram for the board and a discrete GPU(entry level will suffice) if your processors don't have an iGPU. Don't forget a PSU to power all the prior components and a cooler to place atop of the processor to avoid damaging it with heat. Outside of these, no there's no way to know if a CPU is dead or working.

Nov 2, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What processors do you have at hand? You will need a motherboard, a single stick of ram for the board and a discrete GPU(entry level will suffice) if your processors don't have an iGPU. Don't forget a PSU to power all the prior components and a cooler to place atop of the processor to avoid damaging it with heat. Outside of these, no there's no way to know if a CPU is dead or working.
I dont have any hardware to test them im just trying to figure out a way to test them without a pc

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just as an aside....how did you come by "lots of cpus" that you don't have the hardware to operate? IE, did you buy this as an untested lot? Gifted? Salvaged? Other?

As @Lutfij has asked twice now, what are they? If modern or desirable enough it might be worthwhile hunting down the compatible hardware such that you can make something of them. Personally, wouldn't be interested in buying an untested and unknown CPU off "some dude on the internet" if you know what I am saying.

Nov 2, 2022
Just as an aside....how did you come by "lots of cpus" that you don't have the hardware to operate? IE, did you buy this as an untested lot? Gifted? Salvaged? Other?

As @Lutfij has asked twice now, what are they? If modern or desirable enough it might be worthwhile hunting down the compatible hardware such that you can make something of them. Personally, wouldn't be interested in buying an untested and unknown CPU off "some dude on the internet" if you know what I am saying.
my friend gave me them, idk what cpus they really are some i7's and amd cpus

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
my friend gave me them, idk what cpus they really are some i7's and amd cpus

Most CPU will have the model and other information on the heat spreader (top). From there it is really just a matter of finding out what chipset/motherboard they will work with natively. You might find several of them are usable with the same motherboard.

Your friend might be able to help out with this selection, since they gave them to you.