Is it safe to overclock an i5 4670 non K?

AuroraHD

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
I've heard non k versions are limited, but is possible. Is 400 MHz really the max the non k versions can go?
I've set my voltages to auto so my bios can decide it. Is this safe to switch it to?
Lastly, there's a minimum and maximum CPU cache. The minimum should be auto, right? And the maximum is my desired clock speed(ex. 4.0) or is it 4000? Do I leave turbo boost on or off?
Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS Gryphon Z87
CPU: I5 4670
CPU COOLER: Arctic cooler GT rev 2.0 (upgrading to hyper 212 EVO)
GPU: GTX 760
RAM: 16GB Samsung 1333mhz

Solution

If it doesn't, then go into Windows Advanced Power Options and select "High Performance".

Yogi

AuroraHD

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
Also, how cold does the CPU need to be for turbo boost to work? I've seen it, but it jumps from 3.4 to 3.98 the comes back down, and it won't go stable, so on bf3, the frames go to 70-100 changing constantly

With an Intel non-k CPU, you can only overclock up to the Turbo Boost speed. You already have a compatible motherboard and good CPU cooler, so there are no problems there.

Make sure you do the changes in the BIOS. Once you adjust the multiplier, make sure you disable Turbo Boost and leave EIST enabled. EIST will ensure that your processor doesn't run at its highest speed all the time.

You can adjust the CPU voltage (VCORE) which will help bring the temperature down. Considering that you're only increasing the clock speed by 400Mhz and you have a good CPU cooler, it's not necessary.

AuroraHD

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
I thought the non k has a locked multiplier? And the eist thing acts like turbo boost right? Like it doesn't use (ex. 4.0ghz) all the time? Also I plan on going beyond 400 MHz. I just heard it was the max, is this true?

As the CPU has Turbo Boost the multiplier should be adjustable, just not as much as if it were unlocked. Pushing a locked multiplier to anything beyond its Turbo Boost speed is dangerous territory, so tread carefully.

EIST is essentially Turbo Boost in reverse. Rather than ramp up the clock speed for intensive tasks, EIST lowers it for mundane ones.

AuroraHD

Honorable
Feb 18, 2014
Alright. What happens if my system won't load windows? I've had this happen to me before, I just hard shutdown my computer twice and it told me that CPU had unstable voltages. And I can just leave core voltage to auto in bios is okay right?

If you start to experience any signs of instability, you would normally either raise the CPU voltage or lower the overclock. In your case, as you're not exceeding the Turbo Boost speed, you should be able to leave the voltage on auto. You're not pushing the CPU past a clock speed that it wasn't designed to run at, so manual voltage isn't necessary unless you want to bring the temperature down.

That sounds normal to me.
Will it then boot into Windows OK w/Turbo and 3.8?
What speed does CPU-Z show while under load?

Yogi