Question Is It Safer to Plug PC Into Wall or UPS With Less Watt Than Pc

TheDoggyCat

Reputable
Jun 24, 2021
My UPS's battery can only output 300 watts which can only keep my pc on for 10-15 seconds while idle. I got highpower 800 watt psu.

Will the UPS damage my components because it cant give enough power to my computer?

I've seen my rgb fans leds getting less bright when a power outage happened. Will the UPS damage the components because of under voltage?

I dont want to plug it into wall socket either because it doesnt have surge protection but the UPS does. I cant afford a new UPS right now so whats the safest option?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
~15 seconds isn't exactly a good number to have a backup. You should look into a higher capacity UPS.

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model.

I cant afford a new UPS right now so whats the safest option?
Can you afford a brand new system if it's conked out...? Just curious at this point.

TheDoggyCat

Reputable
Jun 24, 2021
CPU: Ryzen 5 7500f
CPU cooler: Thermal Right peerles assasin 120 SE
Motherboard: Biostar B650MP E pro
Ram: XPG 16 GB CL30 6000 MHZ RAM ddr5
SSD/HDD: hikvision 480 gb ssd
GPU: palit rtx 4070 super
PSU: High power performance gd 800W 80+ Gold (its 2 months old)
Monitor: Samsung 75 HZ monitor

I dont care about the pc shutting down and losing data i just want the components to be safe so should i plug it into ups that has surge protection even tho its 300 watts?

Last edited:
10-15 seconds is plenty to ride out minor power glitches.

The problem is whenever the system is loaded, things will actually be worse than no UPS since it will attempt to switchover and shut down. So where the holdup time in your PSU may well be sufficient to ride out a very brief power cut, the UPS makes sure that power cut will be several seconds long.

But if your utility power is very reliable and very seldom has such glitches, go ahead and use it for the surge protection as it's better than nothing. At least if it doesn't start continuously alarming when you draw a heavy load through it.