[SOLVED] is ITX worth it?

Computanoob

Prominent
Mar 6, 2020
I live a very nomadic lifestyle traveling all around the country for seasonal work without a vehicle. Ive taken planes, trains, busses and although I don't expect to anymore I've biked and hitchhiked in the past. Generally move every 6 months or so across the USA. I've been doing this for a few years. Before that I lived on a sailboat for a couple years.

With airline baggage fees now and rough handling it would be cool to be able to carry my PC onboard if I ever wanted to. My current micro ATX case almost falls within the dimensions of that being allowed if I had just strapped a handle to the case lol.

Given my extreme lifestyle I need portability, durability, and storability. But i also want something that won't get completely blown away by future tech. There isn't really any reason for me to have any more than one PCEI that I can think of, but I guess I would definitely need WIFI built in for an ITX motherboard considering the unknowability of internet situations wherever I go. I'm thinking AM4 chipset, and maybe the ability for 2 16gb ram

I run some intensive stock trading software, and some games (never top tier current) mostly 3-5 year old titles are my objective. So

if anyone has any advice on wether ITX is really worth it and a recommendation on any parts let me know
Thanks

Solution
it can be done. I'm running a full custom loop with 2x 240mm rads , full size 2070Super, Corsair SF600 in an nCase M.1 mITX , its no bigger than a shoe box that just happens to weigh in at around 13lbs. Aircooled would be somewhat lighter.

So portability of mITX isn't really the issue, neither is size as you can do the research into what parts combine with what parts. The problem is the overall cumbersomeness of a Desktop vs Laptop. Every move, like a flight, driving etc requires removal or securing the heatsink, the bigger the sink, the more impact it'll have on the socket when it gets bounced, which it will. Youll also need monitor availability, the need to drag a keyboard and mouse around, the assorted cables etc. A laptop is...
Laptop, no question.

Or, something like this Beelink:
https://www.amazon.com/Beelink-GT-R-Processor-Graphics-Bluetooth/dp/B08DQXK873

But you still have to haul the mouse/kbd/monitor.
Monitor is the main issue. Nothing Decent in Portable Section for Meaningful Budget.

I can list a More than Decent enough ITX PC but how dos he plan to Carry Monitor on Top of it is a big question.

For that Laptop will serve him Better Unless he really is ready to Throw-down $6K+ on the Entire Setup in which case I can help him through.

For a meaningful budget of $2K-3K he can get Beast Laptop. Which is Half the Budget of the ITX Setup while giving good 60-70% Performance and easy to Pack and Carry. He won't be needing to carry extra Case specifically for that.

Computanoob

Prominent
Mar 6, 2020
For the monitor most places I've moved to have a TV I can use as a monitor. The one I have though is a 24 inch samsung and is pretty light. I've been able to carry it and I'm happy with it. I just don't see how a laptop could offer what I can get from a computer. Worst case I leave the monitor (which I got for $20) and get a new one where I go

For the monitor most places I've moved to have a TV I can use as a monitor. The one I have though is a 24 inch samsung and is pretty light. I've been able to carry it and I'm happy with it. I just don't see how a laptop could offer what I can get from a computer. Worst case I leave the monitor (which I got for $20) and get a new one where I go
The Budget also Dictates what is better suited for you. Specially for ITX PCs the Budget goes to a really high point.

What is the Budget you are looking at. Maximum budget you can spend on it.

Computanoob

Prominent
Mar 6, 2020
Well I guess it should be noted that I already have a brand new 1660 super , fans, a new leadex PSU. And one of the really fast samsung ssd I'm currently using and another brand new 500 gb that is the basic samsung. So I was really just looking to buy the board CPU ram and a case.
Cost is an object to me as is cost/performance. So I won't be getting a laptop. And considering that I only need what I mentioned and maybe some cooling I think I'm definitely going itx since it seems I can get them for around $100 on sale right now

Computanoob

Prominent
Mar 6, 2020
plenty of ITX cases take full size PSUs, and even RTX founders edition graphics cards. Maybe not the smallest ones sure, but I don't need the smallest ones. Just something smaller than Matx. And as for high performance I have a 1660 super and I'm probably going to buy a low to mid range AM4 chip. Like I said I Don't run the current A list games or mean to. I feel like sometimes if someone isn't spending thousands on a build on here no one is interested and I get that it's more exciting when you find someone with 10 grand to spare on a build, but come on what I am talking about is definitely doable i don't know why so many are being doubters about it

USAFRet

Titan
We're not "doubters".

Its just that when you go into full size GPU and full size PSU, that is out of the realm of "ITX" and portability.
And then we include the monitor/keyboard/mouse.
And then when you fold in an as yet unknown but evidently small budget....

We out here don't have a lot to work with.

Computanoob

Prominent
Mar 6, 2020
We're not "doubters".

Its just that when you go into full size GPU and full size PSU, that is out of the realm of "ITX" and portability.
And then we include the monitor/keyboard/mouse.
And then when you fold in an as yet unknown but evidently small budget....

We out here don't have a lot to work with.
Well my graphics card is pretty small it's like 8,-9" by 4 is that full size

USAFRet

Titan
GPU:
8.1 " x 4.9 " x 1.8 " Inch

Now, find a small case that fits that.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
it can be done. I'm running a full custom loop with 2x 240mm rads , full size 2070Super, Corsair SF600 in an nCase M.1 mITX , its no bigger than a shoe box that just happens to weigh in at around 13lbs. Aircooled would be somewhat lighter.

So portability of mITX isn't really the issue, neither is size as you can do the research into what parts combine with what parts. The problem is the overall cumbersomeness of a Desktop vs Laptop. Every move, like a flight, driving etc requires removal or securing the heatsink, the bigger the sink, the more impact it'll have on the socket when it gets bounced, which it will. Youll also need monitor availability, the need to drag a keyboard and mouse around, the assorted cables etc. A laptop is self-contained although an external mouse is handy and easily tossed into the suitcase.

Solution

Computanoob

Prominent
Mar 6, 2020

So portability of mITX isn't really the issue, neither is size as you can do the research into what parts combine with what parts. The problem is the overall cumbersomeness of a Desktop vs Laptop. Every move, like a flight, driving etc requires removal or securing the heatsink, the bigger the sink, the more impact it'll have on the socket when it gets bounced, which it will. Youll also need monitor availability, the need to drag a keyboard and mouse around, the assorted cables etc. A laptop is self-contained although an external mouse is handy and easily tossed into the suitcase.
when you say this, which heatsink are you referring to the CPU cooler? During my last move I packed the case with foam/ light undershirts rolled up in the non delicate spaces like the drive bays. Even though the GPU was well suported, it's heavy and now is not working at least with my current PSU. Not sure what got bounced, but something defiantly did. So I was thinking, maybe use a case that is fully break down able? I am not sure if all computer cases are, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find one that can be completely disassembled, and you pack the motherboard in bubble wrap and antistatic or whatever as well as the GPU

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know of any case thats 'Fully' breakdownable as such, most all will have a riveted frame underneath the exterior panels, even the modular cases do. but case aside, the rest of the pc is 'Fully' breakdownable, every part readily accepts removal down to the motherboard level. Separate components don't usually get harmed from a bounce, its when the cpu cooler/gpu is mounted to the motherboard that you get flexing of the connections on the motherboard, the pcie x16 slot is far from bullet-proof . As far as a case is concerned, you don't actually 'need' one, the 'PC' will work just fine exterior to a case. Just need a power button. That's called 'Breadboarding' and usually reserved for component testing, but you could carry an assembled PC in a hard shell suitcase and just remove the cpu heatsink/gpu when travelling. Use a foam rubber insert (Think Gun Case idea) to protect the mobo from movement when the lid is closed.

MITX/SFF is all about 1 thing, thinking outside the box, because there's very little room for anything inside the box, you'll need to get creative.