Founder

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
[/b]Hi, guys...I've recently bought a PC with a weak power supply (only 200W). and exactly one month ago, my PC with a CPU (P4, 3.0 GHz, Presccot core) went dead because of the overheating problems . It just shut down...Then, my friend and I decided to test it once more after few minutes..- We tested linux ubuntu and everything worked fine (although it was 200W)...Now, after one month of not using my pc, I got the new CASE, new Zalman coller, new power supply and....It works for a second, then the fans and cooler and everything go dead...We thougt maybe te MBO went dead? Or is it a processor? Please help :(

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
if u get absolutly no power to the components its probably ur psu, if u get no power to things that run off ur mobo (cpu fan, other various fans connected to mobo spots, video card wont display, no sound all those things) then ur mobo may have been bad, or u may have forgotten to plug in the 4 pin connecter for a 24 pin mobo, i did that and it didnt work right... check and make sure all connections are made... and then see if ur getting any power to ur pc at all (does ur hd spin up?) since u seem to be able to turn it on its either a mobo problem or somthing wasnt plugged in (4 pin connecter most likely)

Founder

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Well, The 24-pin connector is plugged in correctly, but everything (the fans, cooler, lamps, all of it) shuts down after one second...So, there's no way to figure out whether the CPU or the MBO went down. We tried pushing the power button on the case fastly...and processor did heat a bit...So, that's maybe the sign of life in it....But, on the other hand, maybe the processor went dead... :?:

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
the proc isnt responsible for fans and such not working, its deffintly a power issue, the cpu may have gotten too much power and died but i dun think so... it could be a faulty mobo, causing short circutes, do u have another mobo u can test? also does the harddrive spin up? u can tell my holding ur hand on the top of it to feel for movement, or just listen harddrives are usually one of the louder things in a system.. if it just kinda flickers and goes dead its the psu's fault... is it plugged into a powerstrip/extension cord? if so, try plugging it directly into a wall outlet

Tattysnuc

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
I've had simliar problems when powers supplies have am extra earth cable.

All I did to remedy was tape up the earth connector so that it didn;t short on the case, and all worked fine.

It sounds like a PSU issue. On the off chance that it isn't, try clearing the BIOS and ensure that you have all the connectors in the right place. That includes the front panel connectors - Have you got "on" to the on pins for instance....

It could be a duff case switch?

parlee

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
i doubt it has nothing to do with the bios, its strictly a power problem, the idea about the power connecters in the right place is good, if they arnt that can short out your system and even cause harm, so stop trying to turn it on every 2 minutes and try the ideas before u ruin the entire computer...

1. check ALL connections, unplug them and replug them in, make sure memory is set right as well as video card (take out extra pci slot cards)

2. look on the motherboard for physical problems, see if anything is scratched badly, bent off, broken or such

3. unplug everything from your motherboard and run just the harddrive off of the power supply, if this doesnt work its deff a mobo problem short circuiting the system

4. if nothing else, wait for other people to reply, dont just keep trying to turn it on this WILL most likely cause harm to ur system if its a power problem