Question Is my CPU just cooked? Or is it a voltage problem?

Jul 26, 2024
Specs:

Board: MSI Z790 GAMING PRO WIFI

Card: MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 4060 8GB

CPU: Intel Core i7-14700KF 14th gen

PSU: CORSAIR RM750e

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 64GB (2 x 32GB) DDR5

Drive: KingSpec SSD Internal Solid State Drive 2TB

I've had this up and running since Jan of 2024. Recently saw that the Intel 13th/14th gen CPU's were experiencing microcode problems, and sure enough, my CPU was sitting at 99-100C due to incorrect voltage. I immediately updated the BIOS, but now I cannot boot (BSOD stopcode. I can access BIOS menu. IRQL NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL, Driver overran stack buffer, or just the neverending logo screen with my keyboard and mouse disabled). I rolled back to the previous BIOS version (with factory settings) and it boots just fine, however the temperature skyrockets.

Called Intel to see about getting an RMA, however, I just don't know for sure if it's the CPU or something else that's messed up. If I try to undervolt it with the old bios, I get the same problems as well.

I've tried booting from a couple live usb's, and none of them work so far. Various kernel errors. Recovery Drives/installation drives, fail with Blue Screens of Death as well.

So the basic question here is: Should I go through with trying to get an RMA, or is it something else that could be the problem?

(also if I posted in the wrong place, please let me know and I'll move it promptly. I'm new here.)

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How are you cooling the processor? Intel is being hammered on all front's due to their mishaps and there are a lot of videos covering it across YT, Steve on Gamer's Nexus made a couple but the 14th Gen isn't shown as the afflicted processors though you might want to take that info with a grain of salt.

When you flashed the BIOS to the latest version, did you clear the CMOS afterwards?

Jul 26, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How are you cooling the processor? Intel is being hammered on all front's due to their mishaps and there are a lot of videos covering it across YT, Steve on Gamer's Nexus made a couple but the 14th Gen isn't shown as the afflicted processors though you might want to take that info with a grain of salt.

When you flashed the BIOS to the latest version, did you clear the CMOS afterwards?
Hello! Thanks! :D

be quiet! Pure Rock 2 FX CPU Air Cooler | Black ARGB Air Cooler | LGA 1700 1200 2066 1150 1151 1155 2011(-3) Square ILM Compatible | Intel and AMD AM5 AM4 CPU Cooler | 150W TDP | BK033
^
This is the product I purchased in January of 2024. When booting into the BIOS on the first version, it overheats even then. On the newer version, it sits pretty at 40/50C

This was one of the articles in question that I had read, and it does seem to mention the 14th gen:

https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...s-are-the-root-cause-fix-coming-by-mid-august

And yes, I've:

Cleared the CMOS a couple of times.
Reset to factory optimized defaults
Disabled/Enabled Fast Boot
Switched to CSM mode
Disabled/Enabled Internal WIFI/Bluetooth card
Set the BIOS settings to Intel's "recommended settings"
and a couple other random things/settings in the BIOS to try and debug it. None of them worked.

I'm gonna call Intel again today to check up on my RMA status as well. Hopefully I can get a refund and just switch to AMD cause this is a bit annoying

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Jul 26, 2024
UPDATE: Just got off with Intel. They should be giving me a refund in the next few days. I'll have around $400 USD to spend on a CPU. Willing to go up to $500. Any good suggestions on what to get? (AMD please, I don't want to have anything more to do with Intel)

UPDATE 2: I know I will have to replace the motherboard. The motherboard is perfectly fine, and I'm ok with sticking with it so I might just go with Intel. Is the Intel Core i9-13900K any good?

Last edited: