Question Is my GPU dying or is this something else?

Apr 7, 2020
First things first, my specs:
GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1080 Ti (EVGA FTW3 ICX)
CPU: Intel i7 8700
Memory: 32gb RAM
PSU: 850w Corsair TX-M Series TX850M

I was playing the new Mount and Blade: Bannerlord game, which I have been doing for the past week with zero issues, except today something very odd happened. I alt-tabbed out of the game to talk to a friend via Steam, and then after about a minute all of the sudden my display went black and the fans went at MAX SPEED all at once, very very loud. And I hear that Windows 10 chime that plays when a device is disconnected, like when you unplug a USB. And then after that I heard another chime, the kind you hear when you get a notification. I start panicking, nothing is making the display come back, so I'm forced to hard-restart the PC. Few minutes later when it comes to the login screen, I notice my resolution is all messed up, and that I'm barely able to move my mouse because the screen keeps freezing. So I restart my PC again, fearing for the worst and expecting a BSOD or something. But then it just booted fine? I was able to see the notification that I had heard earlier, "Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead, check windows update for new drivers". For a minute there I was certain my GPU had just toasted itself but it's displaying fine now.

Anyway, then I go into the Event Viewer and there's literally like 8 separate errors detailing how dwm.exe crashed, and they all came right at the same time. The error goes: "The Desktop Window Manager process has exited. (Process exit code: 0x000000ff, Restart count: 8, Primary display device ID: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti)".
And along with those, I also had another set of errors that occurred at the same time:
Fault bucket 1895486962480874040, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: dwm.exe
P2: 10.0.18362.387
P3: 8e064b77
P4: StackHash_7f4f
P5: 0.0.0.0
P6: 00000000
P7: e0464645
P8: PCH_63_FROM_KERNELBASE+0x00000000000FFAFF
P9:
P10:

And then, finally, the last error that I can see happening at the time is a LiveKernelEvent with code 141.

After I booted the second time and was able to see things normally again, I immediately opened Speccy after logging in, and all my temps looked normal. I even had Speccy open when I was playing the game since I've made a habit of keeping it open, and not too long before the black screen thing happened my temps didn't look unusual. I was getting about 64c from my GPU and 61c from my CPU. After that, I went through the Event Viewer to find all those errors I've just posted. Fastforward an hour or so after I'm less panicky, I decide to try playing the game again and doing the exact same thing I was doing before the black screen happened. I kept it on like that for about 40 minutes and nothing happened. Then I went to benchmark, and again, everything looked normal. I've read a little about some of these errors and for some of the people who get them it looks like their screens don't even come back on, so surely if the problem was with my GPU it wouldn't have come back on for me, correct?

I'm not really sure what to do. Right now the only plan I have is, if it happens again, to do a complete wipe of my GPU drivers with DDU. Or maybe a system restore. At the moment I have the most recent drivers but they've been out for weeks and I've had zero issues until now.

Apr 7, 2020
Also should've mentioned -- I haven't ever overclocked anything in my system. The only thing close to an OC on my graphics card that I'm aware of is the card is "performance boosted" like most third-party NVIDIA GPUs will be since it's EVGA

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
I would most certainly do a fresh install of your graphics display drivers. And ensure you have geforce experience to ensure your GPU has the latest drivers.

What's your FPS looking in game?
What are your GPU temps looking in game?
Are you using any software to control the clock speeds or fan speeds for your graphics card?

Apr 7, 2020
I would most certainly do a fresh install of your graphics display drivers. And ensure you have geforce experience to ensure your GPU has the latest drivers.

What's your FPS looking in game?
What are your GPU temps looking in game?
Are you using any software to control the clock speeds or fan speeds for your graphics card?
My performance is always top notch, have never had problems in that area. Can get 60fps in 1440p on nearly every game I play.
GPU temps were fine as I said, only hovering around 60c.
I use MSI Afterburner but I only use it to control my fan curves, and I've never had a problem with it before. I've never touched any of the clock speeds or voltages or anything like that.

TRENDING THREADS