Question Is my gpu heat sensor broken?

Sep 23, 2021
I have a rx 580 sapphire pulse, at idle its says its 35c and when I start basically any game it skips numbers and goes from 35 - 40 to ~70 and the maxes out at 83 or so, I tried underclocking it and lowering its power limit but its the same, and when I close out of the game or program it again goes down from 83 down to 40 immediately skipping numbers. And the gpu thermal throttles like hell. To the touch it doesnt feel that hot when its 80c

Sep 23, 2021
If underclocking, undervolting, and lowering the power limit changed nothing for load thermals... then I'd say one, or both, of the following needs to be brought into question:
-chassis airflow.
-thermal paste needs to be changed.
I changed the thermal paste and the thermal pads, and i dont have a case its sitting on a piece of styrofaom and i have a big ass fan pointed at it which doesn't help the termals 1%

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-Cooler heatsink isn't mating with the gpu die very well. Screwed down too tight in one area? New pads are too dense, thus don't have enough give?

-The chosen paste is being pushed off the die by cooler mounting pressure. Some pastes that work well on cpus don't work as well on naked dies.

Reactions: RodroX
Sep 23, 2021
-Cooler heatsink isn't mating with the gpu die very well. Screwed down too tight in one area? New pads are too dense, thus don't have enough give?

-The chosen paste is being pushed off the die by cooler mounting pressure. Some pastes that work well on cpus don't work as well on naked dies.
I made sure not to screw it down too hard but still hard enough so it had good contact even with the pads replaced

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So you already tried it without the pads...
GDDR5 memory doesn't 'need' pads anyway, and can be cooled on air just fine. It's one of those cases where pads and sinks don't hurt, but they're not a necessity.
The same can't be said for GDDR6 and R6X though...

What is the paste?

I made sure not to screw it down too hard but still hard enough so it had good contact even with the pads replaced
The way this is worded - it sounds like you're still screwing down too much, but I'm likely reading too much into it. Sorry.

Aside from the above, that leaves 1 other thing: the heatsink itself isn't well designed.

Sep 23, 2021
So you already tried it without the pads...
GDDR5 memory doesn't 'need' pads anyway, and can be cooled on air just fine. It's one of those cases where pads and sinks don't hurt, but they're not a necessity.
The same can't be said for GDDR6 and R6X though...

What is the paste?

The way this is worded - it sounds like you're still screwing down too much, but I'm likely reading too much into it. Sorry.

Aside from the above, that leaves 1 other thing: the heatsink itself isn't well designed.
The thermal paste is local, I couldn't find anything reputable so I tested 3 relatively high priced thermal paste and I'm currently using the best performing one, my english is definitely not the best so my wording can be a bit off putting, also I write really quickly without much thought put into it because of adhd. About the heatsink thing, I cant fix that lmao. So do you think its the sensor doing some fishy work? Again to the touch the gpu is not at all 85c but on furmark and msi afterburner I get horrible temps. I just saw something funny, I alt tabbed from a furmark run to check something for literally 2 seconds and by the time I alt tabbed back It went from 84c down to 60c and then back up to 82 in 2 seconds... Doesn't seam really plausible. This is really starting to get on my nerves me because I thermal throttles and I lose about 15 - 20% of performance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
No one can infer anything from 'local paste', '3 relatively high priced thermal paste', and 'currently using the best performing one'.
Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut is hyped as one of the best pastes, but you know, it's not very good for gpu applications. It either gets pushed off the die, or degrades quickly to high temperature cycles.

Bare silicon dies have a slicker and slippery surface compared to the rough and grainy IHS of a cpu. These 3 pastes could be great on cpus, but terrible on gpus, because the paste either 'slips' off, or gets pumped out by mounting pressure and high thermal cycles.
Ideal pastes for gpu applications are ones with high(er) viscosity; thick and sticky.

I believe the sensor is working just fine.
-The paste being used.
-The heatsink's finstack having a horizontal design. I've no idea why it's not vertical, so as to 'guide' heated air out the sides. Instead, it's the front and back...
One or both of those 2. I'm going to accept that you've mounted the cooler correctly and not include it.

Sep 23, 2021
No one can infer anything from 'local paste', '3 relatively high priced thermal paste', and 'currently using the best performing one'.
Thermal Grizzly's Kryonaut is hyped as one of the best pastes, but you know, it's not very good for gpu applications. It either gets pushed off the die, or degrades quickly to high temperature cycles.

Bare silicon dies have a slicker and slippery surface compared to the rough and grainy IHS of a cpu. These 3 pastes could be great on cpus, but terrible on gpus, because the paste either 'slips' off, or gets pumped out by mounting pressure and high thermal cycles.
Ideal pastes for gpu applications are ones with high(er) viscosity; thick and sticky.

-The paste being used.
-The heatsink's finstack having a horizontal design. I've no idea why it's not vertical, so as to 'guide' heated air out the sides. Instead, it's the front and back...
One or both of those 2. I'm going to accept that you've mounted the cooler correctly and not include it.
I couldn't get anything reputable, so I had to go for it I know its gonna perform worse than something I know is good but I literally have no other option. I didn't answer immediately because I was checking the gpu and I loosened it up a bit, I'll update you on if it works better.

Sep 23, 2021

-The paste being used.
Loosening it didn't do nothing, maybe made it worse idk.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How about this:
ssuhj8Mcq6B2vASzBmR8CZ-2560-80.png

Are any of the pastes with a 4-9 in the red bars available to you?
Beyond this, I'm not going to have a clue with the local brands.

Sep 23, 2021
How about this:
ssuhj8Mcq6B2vASzBmR8CZ-2560-80.png

Are any of the pastes with a 4-9 in the red bars available to you?
Beyond this, I'm not going to have a clue with the local brands.
I don't recognize any of them, I searched up a 10 - 15 of them on a local shop, all that came up is just some random numbers